    I appreciate your input.

    Thanks
    Clare

    clare, Jul 11, 2008

  2. clare

    Baron Guest

    clare Inscribed thus:

    > any suggestions as to decrease the glare on laptop ??
    >
    > Dell Inspiron 1520
    >
    > I love being outside & am not able because of the glare.........I can
    > barely see where the curser is. I do not (or rather cannot afford)
    > an expensive solution to this issue.
    >
    > I appreciate your input.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Clare

    A pair of tights/nylon stocking stretched over the screen helps. Might
    get some funny looks though.

    --
    Best Reagrds:
    Baron.

    Baron, Jul 11, 2008

  3. clare

    sandy58 Guest

    On Jul 11, 5:10 am, clare <> wrote:
    > any suggestions as to decrease the glare on laptop ??
    >
    > Dell Inspiron 1520
    >
    > I love being outside & am not able because of the glare.........I can
    > barely see where the curser is. I do not (or rather cannot afford)
    > an expensive solution to this issue.
    >
    > I appreciate your input.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Clare

    Put the laptop in a large open-ended cardboard box! Watch out for
    nosey nieghbours wanting to see the "view" too. :)

    sandy58, Jul 12, 2008
  4. clare

    Guest

    On Jul 11, 5:10 am, clare <> wrote:
    > any suggestions as to decrease the glare on laptop ??
    >
    > Dell Inspiron 1520
    >
    > I love being outside & am not able because of the glare.........I can
    > barely see where the curser is.  I do not (or rather cannot afford)
    > an expensive solution to this issue.
    >
    > I appreciate your input.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Clare

    some laptops, on the function keys F1,F2, e.t.c.
    They have an Fn key too. If you hold the Fn key and tap the relevant
    function key, then the screen brightness is varied.
    Dell technical support might know. But you should see from looking at
    the laptop keyboard. At the end of the post, I have specifics on how
    to do this regarding your laptop. [1]

    If you attached a full size monitor to it, you could adjust the
    brightness on that. But the disadvantage there is they need to be
    plugged in and it wouldn't be much of a laptop anymore due to the size
    increase.

    Sunglasses would be a solution.. There are expensive glasses with
    lenses that tint, but a)they may not tint enough b)i'm fairly sure
    that they can leave black shadows under the eyes. But a cheap pair of
    sunglasses may do nicely.
    A bit like using ear plugs for noise, but ear plugs melt the wax and
    that gets itchy if worn for a long time.The sunglasses solution prob
    won't have such a problem, and seem like quite a good idea. People
    wear them for hours.. So they are well tested.

    If you check ebay, you see there are some "anti glare screens", these
    are just cheap plastic peal like sheets. I would definitely give that
    a try. In the past I have seen expensive large glass like screens
    too.

    [1]
    http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins1520/en/index.htm
    links to a document in PDF, and in HTML form, here
    http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins1520/en/om_en/html/display..htm#wp1059335
    See "Adjusting Brightness"
    It says use Fn and Up/Down arrow.
    You could prob guess it was Fn and something, in this case not with a
    function key, but you might have seen a brightness symbol on the up/
    down keys. I don't know if it was there.

    (another word , maybe, some systems might use is contrast , may or may
    not be same as brightness but does a similar thing. So you should know
    what to look for whatever the machine, a laptop, a full size monitor,
    even a TV, whatever. My TV has a contrast option, and a brightness
    option)
    Googling brightness contrast on google images, you see that the
    picture for brightness is a sun, and the picture for contrast is a
    moon half lit- like around 7th day of a lunar month, moon in first
    quarter

    symbols for brightness and for contrast
    http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volu...2-projector-menu-contrast-brightness-tint.jpg

    phases of a moon (just so you can describe the symbol with
    calendrical precision of the lunar variety!)
    http://updatecenter.britannica.com/art?assemblyId=57096&type=A

    )

    , Jul 13, 2008
  5. clare

    Guest

    On Jul 13, 2:36 am, ""
    <> wrote:
    <snip>
    > (another word , maybe, some systems might use is contrast , may or may
    > not be same as brightness but does a similar thing. So you should know
    > what to look for whatever the machine, a laptop, a full size monitor,
    > even a TV, whatever. My TV has a contrast option, and a brightness
    > option)

    <snip>

    brightness and contrast are different..
    http://www.poynton.com/notes/brightness_and_contrast/

    the laptop I am on (panasonic toughbook) only has brightness, and
    that's fine. Maybe most laptops only have the one option.

    I mention both, so that you can deal with the problem for other
    devices with screens.

    Make sure that you have good lighting in the room too. The opposite
    of a cinema.

    I wish your(OP's) eyes well (assuming you're a decent character)

    , Jul 13, 2008
  6. clare

    Guest

    On Jul 11, 5:10 am, clare <> wrote:
    > any suggestions as to decrease the glare on laptop ??
    >
    > Dell Inspiron 1520
    >
    > I love being outside & am not able because of the glare.........I can
    > barely see where the curser is. I do not (or rather cannot afford)
    > an expensive solution to this issue.
    >
    > I appreciate your input.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Clare

    I can barely see the DEFAULT cursor either.. I guess it's a laptop
    issue. 'cos i'm prob ok on a regular computer.

    To change it, do

    start..ctrl panel...mouse...pointers

    Now
    Change the "normal" cursor to a BIG one. You have a big selection of
    cursors you choose from when you click Browse. There are Big versions
    of most or all of them.

    The only thing I must warn you about, is if you choose the big
    one(which I suggest you do), the big black arrow, and your elbow hits
    the mouse, and you're not used to the big cursor, then don't leap back
    under the assumption that it's a bee.

    And don't stick your eyes right up to it if you're not sure! ;-)

    , Jul 13, 2008