    marks will not come off.

    Thanks very much for your help.

    Trev
    Trevs laptop, Mar 9, 2008

  2. Trevs laptop

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Trevs laptop" <> wrote in message
    news:47d39f01$...
    > Over the last few weeks, some marks on my laptop screen have gradually got
    > larger and now look like this:
    >
    > http://mynzlsite.hostsnake.com/laptopscreen.htm
    >
    > Can anyone tell me please what might have caused these defects? Is there
    > any way of fixing them, or is the screen permanently damaged do you think?
    >
    > I have tried cleaning the screen with proper LCD cleaning fluid, but the
    > marks will not come off.
    >
    > Thanks very much for your help.
    >
    > Trev

    Did you rub hard on the Liquid Cyrstal Display panel?

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Mar 9, 2008

  3. Trevs laptop

    Trevs laptop Guest

    > "Trevs laptop" <> wrote in message
    >> Over the last few weeks, some marks on my laptop screen have gradually
    >> got larger and now look like this:
    >>
    >> http://mynzlsite.hostsnake.com/laptopscreen.htm
    >>
    >> Can anyone tell me please what might have caused these defects? Is there
    >> any way of fixing them, or is the screen permanently damaged do you
    >> think?
    >>
    >> I have tried cleaning the screen with proper LCD cleaning fluid, but the
    >> marks will not come off.
    >>
    >> Thanks very much for your help.
    >>
    >> Trev

    > Did you rub hard on the Liquid Cyrstal Display panel?
    >
    > E. Scrooge

    I rubbed firmly enough to get all other marks off, but I didn't apply any
    real force. These marks are barely visible when the screen has a white
    background, but are quite visible on grey or dark blue backgrounds.

    Trev
    Trevs laptop, Mar 9, 2008
  4. Trevs laptop

    > "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz (*sling)> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Trevs laptop" <> wrote in message
    >>> Over the last few weeks, some marks on my laptop screen have gradually
    >>> got larger and now look like this:
    >>>
    >>> http://mynzlsite.hostsnake.com/laptopscreen.htm
    >>>
    >>> Can anyone tell me please what might have caused these defects? Is there
    >>> any way of fixing them, or is the screen permanently damaged do you
    >>> think?
    >>>
    >>> I have tried cleaning the screen with proper LCD cleaning fluid, but the
    >>> marks will not come off.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks very much for your help.
    >>>
    >>> Trev

    >> Did you rub hard on the Liquid Cyrstal Display panel?
    >>
    >> E. Scrooge
    >>

    > I rubbed firmly enough to get all other marks off, but I didn't apply any
    > real force. These marks are barely visible when the screen has a white
    > background, but are quite visible on grey or dark blue backgrounds.
    >
    > Trev

    Screen burn perhaps?
    Is it out of warranty?
    The CGA might be useful in this situation. Be worth contacting the supplier
    first.

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Mar 9, 2008
  5. Trevs laptop

    Trevs laptop Guest

    > Screen burn perhaps?
    > Is it out of warranty?
    > The CGA might be useful in this situation. Be worth contacting the
    > supplier first.
    >
    > E. Scrooge

    Thanks for your reply. I think the warranty period is 12 months, so I only
    have a couple of days left under warranty! I guess screen burn is a
    possibility:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phosphor_burn-in

    I haven't used a screen saver, perhaps I should have.

    I will contact the manufacturer shortly, but I don't want to part with the
    computer if there is something that a user could do to fix such a problem
    himself.

    Trev
    Trevs laptop, Mar 9, 2008
  6. Trevs laptop

    Jerry Guest

    E. Scrooge wrote:

    > "Trevs laptop" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz (*sling)> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Trevs laptop" <> wrote in message

    >>> Did you rub hard on the Liquid Cyrstal Display panel?
    >>>
    >>> E. Scrooge
    >>>

    >> I rubbed firmly enough to get all other marks off, but I didn't apply
    >> any real force. These marks are barely visible when the screen has a
    >> white background, but are quite visible on grey or dark blue backgrounds.
    >>
    >> Trev

    > Screen burn perhaps?
    > Is it out of warranty?
    > The CGA might be useful in this situation. Be worth contacting the
    > supplier first.
    >
    > E. Scrooge

    an LCD doesn't get screen burn. Most laptops don't have CRT or Plasma
    screens. If it is a bit of persistance leave the screen on full white
    for 12 hours or so, it should even out.
    Jerry, Mar 9, 2008
  7. Trevs laptop wrote:
    > Over the last few weeks, some marks on my laptop screen have gradually
    > got larger and now look like this:
    >
    > http://mynzlsite.hostsnake.com/laptopscreen.htm
    >
    > Can anyone tell me please what might have caused these defects? Is there
    > any way of fixing them, or is the screen permanently damaged do you think?
    >
    > I have tried cleaning the screen with proper LCD cleaning fluid, but the
    > marks will not come off.
    >
    > Thanks very much for your help.
    >
    > Trev

    Could they be heelmarks ?
    Mark Robinson, Mar 9, 2008
  8. Trevs laptop

    Trevs laptop Guest

    "Jerry" <> wrote in message news:47d3b6e5$...

    > an LCD doesn't get screen burn. Most laptops don't have CRT or Plasma
    > screens. If it is a bit of persistance leave the screen on full white for
    > 12 hours or so, it should even out.

    Thanks Jerry, that's a very good tip, the problem of LCD image persistence
    is discussed here:

    http://compreviews.about.com/od/monitors/a/LCDBurnIn.htm

    Trev
    Trevs laptop, Mar 9, 2008
  9. Trevs laptop

    thingy Guest

    Mark Robinson wrote:
    > Trevs laptop wrote:
    >> Over the last few weeks, some marks on my laptop screen have gradually
    >> got larger and now look like this:
    >>
    >> http://mynzlsite.hostsnake.com/laptopscreen.htm
    >>
    >> Can anyone tell me please what might have caused these defects? Is there
    >> any way of fixing them, or is the screen permanently damaged do you think?
    >>
    >> I have tried cleaning the screen with proper LCD cleaning fluid, but the
    >> marks will not come off.
    >>
    >> Thanks very much for your help.
    >>
    >> Trev

    > Could they be heelmarks ?

    sounds kinky....

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Mar 9, 2008
  10. thingy wrote:
    > Mark Robinson wrote:
    >> Trevs laptop wrote:
    >>> Over the last few weeks, some marks on my laptop screen have gradually
    >>> got larger and now look like this:
    >>>
    >>> http://mynzlsite.hostsnake.com/laptopscreen.htm
    >>>
    >>> Can anyone tell me please what might have caused these defects? Is there
    >>> any way of fixing them, or is the screen permanently damaged do you
    >>> think?
    >>>
    >>> I have tried cleaning the screen with proper LCD cleaning fluid, but the
    >>> marks will not come off.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks very much for your help.
    >>>
    >>> Trev

    >> Could they be heelmarks ?

    > sounds kinky....

    I do remember seeing a photograph of a burn scar in the shape of a handcuff
    once, but I don't think it fits the case in point.
    Mark Robinson, Mar 9, 2008
  11. Trevs laptop

    thingy Guest

    Mark Robinson wrote:
    > thingy wrote:
    >> Mark Robinson wrote:

    >>> Could they be heelmarks ?

    >> sounds kinky....

    > I do remember seeing a photograph of a burn scar in the shape of a handcuff
    > once, but I don't think it fits the case in point.

    yeah sound familiar....or something similar....ah memory recalls someone
    with bad scaring/injuries on his back turning up to A&E needing
    stiches, seems to have been caused by his girl friend's high heels which
    had metal caps which were sharp....

    ;]

    regards

    thing
    thingy, Mar 10, 2008
  12. thingy wrote:
    > Mark Robinson wrote:
    >> thingy wrote:
    >>> sounds kinky....

    >> I do remember seeing a photograph of a burn scar in the shape of a
    >> handcuff
    >> once, but I don't think it fits the case in point.

    > yeah sound familiar....or something similar....ah memory recalls someone
    > with bad scaring/injuries on his back turning up to A&E needing
    > stiches, seems to have been caused by his girl friend's high heels which
    > had metal caps which were sharp....

    Lucky to not lose the use of any thing.
    Mark Robinson, Mar 10, 2008
  13. Trevs laptop

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "Mark Robinson" typed:
    > thingy wrote:
    >> Mark Robinson wrote:
    >>> I do remember seeing a photograph of a burn scar in the shape of a
    >>> handcuff
    >>> once, but I don't think it fits the case in point.

    >> yeah sound familiar....or something similar....ah memory recalls
    >> someone with bad scaring/injuries on his back turning up to A&E
    >> needing stiches, seems to have been caused by his girl friend's high
    >> heels which had metal caps which were sharp....

    > Lucky to not lose the use of any thing.

    Gawd-darnit! Is this Woger yet again? I'd hate to wrongly plonk an innocent.
    --
    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, Mar 10, 2008
  14. Trevs laptop

    Rob Simpson Guest

    On Sun, 09 Mar 2008 21:25:08 +1300, Trevs laptop propped his eyelids open
    with toothpicks and wrote:

    > Over the last few weeks, some marks on my laptop screen have gradually
    > got larger and now look like this:
    >
    > http://mynzlsite.hostsnake.com/laptopscreen.htm
    >
    > Can anyone tell me please what might have caused these defects? Is there
    > any way of fixing them, or is the screen permanently damaged do you
    > think?
    >
    > I have tried cleaning the screen with proper LCD cleaning fluid, but the
    > marks will not come off.
    >
    > Thanks very much for your help.
    >
    > Trev

    Not a bit of splashback?

    http://top-img.net/getimg/warrantyjpg.jpg

    :)

    --
    Rob
    As a computer, I find your faith in technology amusing.
    Rob Simpson, Mar 10, 2008
  15. Trevs laptop

    Trevs laptop Guest

    "Mark Robinson" <2tod.net> wrote in message
    > Trevs laptop wrote:
    >> Over the last few weeks, some marks on my laptop screen have gradually
    >> got larger and now look like this:
    >>
    >> http://mynzlsite.hostsnake.com/laptopscreen.htm
    >>
    >> Can anyone tell me please what might have caused these defects? Is there
    >> any way of fixing them, or is the screen permanently damaged do you
    >> think?
    >>
    >> I have tried cleaning the screen with proper LCD cleaning fluid, but the
    >> marks will not come off.
    >>
    >> Thanks very much for your help.
    >>
    >> Trev

    > Could they be heelmarks ?

    No, I don't often stomp on my laptop screen.

    But I have had another thought, could it be a slight "burn in" of the edges
    of the flower photo I have had on the desktop for several weeks? I have now
    added this photo to the following web site page:

    http://mynzlsite.hostsnake.com/laptopscreen.htm

    If you were to kindly revisit this site and look at the pictures of this
    "sexy rexy" rose, you will see that there are four roses and the shapes of
    the outer petals of these roses coincide quite closely with the shapes I
    have on the picture of a blank LCD screen.

    I have also run my Sony Vaio laptop with a blank white screen for about 6
    hours, and I have found that these shapes have diminished a little now, and
    are mainly visible only on screens that have a gray or olive background. So
    I might continue with running a blank screen and see whether the shapes can
    be reduced further to the point where they will no longer be a nuisance to
    me.

    Trev
    Trevs laptop, Mar 11, 2008
  16. Trevs laptop

    Jerry Guest

    Trevs laptop wrote:

    > "Mark Robinson" <2tod.net> wrote in message
    >> Trevs laptop wrote:
    >>> Over the last few weeks, some marks on my laptop screen have gradually
    >>> got larger and now look like this:
    >>>
    >>> http://mynzlsite.hostsnake.com/laptopscreen.htm
    >>>
    >>> Can anyone tell me please what might have caused these defects? Is there
    >>> any way of fixing them, or is the screen permanently damaged do you
    >>> think?
    >>>
    >>> I have tried cleaning the screen with proper LCD cleaning fluid, but the
    >>> marks will not come off.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks very much for your help.
    >>>
    >>> Trev

    >> Could they be heelmarks ?

    > No, I don't often stomp on my laptop screen.
    >
    > But I have had another thought, could it be a slight "burn in" of the edges
    > of the flower photo I have had on the desktop for several weeks? I have now
    > added this photo to the following web site page:
    >
    > http://mynzlsite.hostsnake.com/laptopscreen.htm
    >
    > If you were to kindly revisit this site and look at the pictures of this
    > "sexy rexy" rose, you will see that there are four roses and the shapes of
    > the outer petals of these roses coincide quite closely with the shapes I
    > have on the picture of a blank LCD screen.
    >
    > I have also run my Sony Vaio laptop with a blank white screen for about 6
    > hours, and I have found that these shapes have diminished a little now, and
    > are mainly visible only on screens that have a gray or olive background. So
    > I might continue with running a blank screen and see whether the shapes can
    > be reduced further to the point where they will no longer be a nuisance to
    > me.

    Hopefully that will solve the problem. Let us know how it goes
    Jerry, Mar 11, 2008
  17. Trevs laptop

    Matty F Guest

    On Mar 11, 7:14 pm, "Trevs laptop" <> wrote:

    > But I have had another thought, could it be a slight "burn in" of the edges
    > of the flower photo I have had on the desktop for several weeks? I have now
    > added this photo to the following web site page:
    >
    > http://mynzlsite.hostsnake.com/laptopscreen.htm
    >
    > If you were to kindly revisit this site and look at the pictures of this
    > "sexy rexy" rose, you will see that there are four roses and the shapes of
    > the outer petals of these roses coincide quite closely with the shapes I
    > have on the picture of a blank LCD screen.

    Yes the roses match very closely if the rose picture is squished down
    a bit. That is certain to be the cause.
    Matty F, Mar 12, 2008
  18. Hi there,

    Matty F wrote:
    > On Mar 11, 7:14 pm, "Trevs laptop" <> wrote:
    >
    >> But I have had another thought, could it be a slight "burn in" of the edges
    >> of the flower photo I have had on the desktop for several weeks? I have now
    >> added this photo to the following web site page:
    >>
    >> http://mynzlsite.hostsnake.com/laptopscreen.htm
    >>
    >> If you were to kindly revisit this site and look at the pictures of this
    >> "sexy rexy" rose, you will see that there are four roses and the shapes of
    >> the outer petals of these roses coincide quite closely with the shapes I
    >> have on the picture of a blank LCD screen.

    > Yes the roses match very closely if the rose picture is squished down
    > a bit. That is certain to be the cause.

    Rose are guilty as charged. I'm not sure if it will help, but have
    a look at Jscreenfix. The website claims it can help with burn-in.

    http://www.jscreenfix.com/

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.
    "Maybe politicians should ask the people whether
    or not they wanted all these wars"...
    Chris Wilkinson, Mar 12, 2008
  19. Trevs laptop

    Trevs laptop Guest

    "Chris Wilkinson" <> wrote in message
    > Hi there,
    >
    > Matty F wrote:
    >> On Mar 11, 7:14 pm, "Trevs laptop" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> But I have had another thought, could it be a slight "burn in" of the
    >>> edges
    >>> of the flower photo I have had on the desktop for several weeks? I have
    >>> now
    >>> added this photo to the following web site page:
    >>>
    >>> http://mynzlsite.hostsnake.com/laptopscreen.htm
    >>>
    >>> If you were to kindly revisit this site and look at the pictures of this
    >>> "sexy rexy" rose, you will see that there are four roses and the shapes
    >>> of
    >>> the outer petals of these roses coincide quite closely with the shapes I
    >>> have on the picture of a blank LCD screen.

    >> Yes the roses match very closely if the rose picture is squished down
    >> a bit. That is certain to be the cause.

    > Rose are guilty as charged. I'm not sure if it will help, but have
    > a look at Jscreenfix. The website claims it can help with burn-in.
    >
    > http://www.jscreenfix.com/
    >
    > --
    > Kind regards,
    >
    > Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.
    > "Maybe politicians should ask the people whether
    > or not they wanted all these wars"...

    I also ran this enquiry on comp.sys.laptops :

    http://groups.google.co.nz/group/co...n&lnk=st&q=image persistence#0760d5ec857d79e5

    roses coincide quite closely with the shapes on my blank LCD screen, a
    poster called "bigguy" said this:

    "Yes it is a coincidence.

    If the marks were 'identical' to the petals it would be significant.
    They are not, just roughly similar. Your brain is joining up the dots.

    As OPs have remarked it looks very much like water marks.

    Try to get a grip ;-)

    1. Every single Windows PC has the menu bar across the bottom of the
    screen displaying the same thing for as long as the PC is on.

    2. Now move the menu bar to the top of the screen. Have you EVER seen
    'burn in' of the menu bar at the bottom? NO.

    I have used many dozens of LCD screens on laptops, PCs and for 'digital
    signage' and not once seen any burn-in effects. There may well be a
    theoretical possibility of 'persistence' but I suspect this is due to
    manufacturing defects.

    What to do about the marks?
    I'm not sure... apart from recleaning the screen and / or waiting for
    them to fade. Is the screen in Warranty? "

    End of quote

    COULD it be a coincidence, is my "brain joining up the dots? Well, I'm 100%
    sure that the shapes on the screen match those of the outer petals of the
    roses, but others arent!

    Trev
    Trevs laptop, Mar 12, 2008
  20. Trevs laptop

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "Trevs laptop" typed:
    > "Chris Wilkinson" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi there,
    >>
    >> Matty F wrote:

    >>> Yes the roses match very closely if the rose picture is squished
    >>> down a bit. That is certain to be the cause.

    >> Rose are guilty as charged. I'm not sure if it will help, but have
    >> a look at Jscreenfix. The website claims it can help with burn-in.
    >>
    >> http://www.jscreenfix.com/
    >>
    >> --
    >> Kind regards,
    >>
    >> Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.
    >> "Maybe politicians should ask the people whether
    >> or not they wanted all these wars"...

    > I also ran this enquiry on comp.sys.laptops :
    >
    > http://groups.google.co.nz/group/co...n&lnk=st&q=image persistence#0760d5ec857d79e5

    > of the roses coincide quite closely with the shapes on my blank LCD
    > screen, a poster called "bigguy" said this:
    >
    > "Yes it is a coincidence.
    >
    > If the marks were 'identical' to the petals it would be significant.
    > They are not, just roughly similar. Your brain is joining up the dots.
    >
    > As OPs have remarked it looks very much like water marks.
    >
    > Try to get a grip ;-)
    >
    > 1. Every single Windows PC has the menu bar across the bottom of the
    > screen displaying the same thing for as long as the PC is on.
    >
    > 2. Now move the menu bar to the top of the screen. Have you EVER seen
    > 'burn in' of the menu bar at the bottom? NO.
    >
    > I have used many dozens of LCD screens on laptops, PCs and for
    > 'digital signage' and not once seen any burn-in effects. There may
    > well be a theoretical possibility of 'persistence' but I suspect this
    > is due to manufacturing defects.
    >
    > What to do about the marks?
    > I'm not sure... apart from recleaning the screen and / or waiting for
    > them to fade. Is the screen in Warranty? "
    >
    > End of quote
    >
    > COULD it be a coincidence, is my "brain joining up the dots? Well,
    > I'm 100% sure that the shapes on the screen match those of the outer
    > petals of the roses, but others arent!

    There are no such things as coincidences and those who are disagreeing with
    the theory that the roses were the cause aren't doing so because they
    believe it, they're doing so because it doesn't fit their (probably
    oft-expounded) theories.

    There is *no doubt* that the marks were caused by the roses. They don't
    appear to match up *exactly* in the two pics you posted but then again you
    only showed the area of effect in the first pic, not the whole screen. If
    the whole screen was shown then I'm sure they'd match.

    Ignore the nay-sayers, they're just protecting their positions.
    --
    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, Mar 12, 2008