    Any ideas?

    Thanks

    Howard.

    H, Nov 23, 2006

  2. H

    beenthere Guest

    "H" <> wrote in message
    news:45655b53$...
    > Recently my laptopt has become very slow in performance - the system fan
    > and possibly the hard drive is permanently on and noisy and when I look at
    > system
    > processes the idle processes are up to 99%! When I check CPU use and RAM
    > use they seem normal although recently I had to uninstall a webcam driver
    > that was
    > maxing out my cpu use.

    System Idle process, means your machine is doing very little.
    ie. just ticking over.
    Check the Performance tab.
    HTH.

    beenthere, Nov 23, 2006

  3. H

    H Guest

    Thanks for your reply - I was assuming that since my cpu use for system idle
    processes was upwards of 80% up to 99%
    that that reflected the fact that my use and launching of most apps is
    extremely slow coupled with a permanently active
    fan and hard drive? When I check performance as you suggest I get cpu use
    jumping around anything from 14% to 70%+.

    I know there's a problem somewhere - just can't identify it.

    Thanks

    H, Nov 23, 2006
  4. "beenthere" <> wrote in message

    > Try cleaning up your machine.
    > There`s avery good program called CCleaner I use that will clean
    > out a lot od detritus (rubbish).

    There is an even better one called fdisk...

    Richard Parkin, Nov 23, 2006
  5. H

    beenthere Guest

    "H" <> wrote in message
    > Thanks for your reply - I was assuming that since my cpu use for system
    > idle processes was upwards of 80% up to 99%
    > that that reflected the fact that my use and launching of most apps is
    > extremely slow coupled with a permanently active
    > fan and hard drive? When I check performance as you suggest I get cpu use
    > jumping around anything from 14% to 70%+.
    >
    > I know there's a problem somewhere - just can't identify it.

    Try cleaning up your machine.
    There`s avery good program called CCleaner I use that will clean
    out a lot od detritus (rubbish).
    http://www.ccleaner.com/download/
    To start with, Untick everything.
    Then you can safely tick the whole 1st, and 3rd blocks, and do an
    Analysis.
    That offers to remove loads of rubbish.
    On the left menues, there is one called Issues.
    That allows you to see what rubbish it finds in you Registry.
    ALWAYS back up first, before you clean those.
    You then have the option of replacing changes, if anything
    goes amiss.
    Hope this helps.
    But you must also consider, that you may have `clogged` with dust
    problem, or too many background tasks running etc.

    bw..OJ

    beenthere, Nov 23, 2006
  6. H

    H Guest

    Thanks chaps - will give your suggestions a go.

    H, Nov 23, 2006
  7. Howdy!

    "H" <> wrote in message
    > Recently my laptopt has become very slow in performance - the system fan

    and
    > possibly the hard drive is permanently on and noisy and when I look at
    > system
    > processes the idle processes are up to 99%! When I check CPU use and RAM

    use
    > they seem normal although recently I had to uninstall a webcam driver that
    > was
    > maxing out my cpu use.

    Umm ... Do you know what the word "IDLE" means?

    You do?

    Doesn't look like it.

    "System Idle"is what's left over, after everything else is running.

    It's the reciprocal of the "Performance" CPU usage - but since
    they're measured at different times, you can get totals that don't sum to
    100%.

    And DON'T pull the "But I'm not computer literate!" crap. The word
    "IDLE" means IDLE - DOING NOTHING - in most every usage.

    Try checking a decent dictionary. Or even an American one.

    RwP

    Ralph Wade Phillips, Nov 23, 2006