    How can I restart the network card without a full close down and restart?

    --
    Jim Bunton

    Jim Bunton, Feb 13, 2008

  2. Jim Bunton

    Barb Bowman Guest

    have you spoken to tech support for the company that made the
    laptop? is there a BIOS upgrade for that laptop? is there a new
    driver for the NIC?

    posting the text output of ipconfig /all will help identify the NIC
    if you cannot

    http://digitalmediaphile.wordpress.com/ipconfig-all-how-to-get-text-output/

    On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 10:13:54 +0100, "Jim Bunton"
    <> wrote:

    >Advent laptop, windows xp media edition
    >
    >After boot it is necessary to press a button to start the wireless network
    >card.
    >
    >If the computer closes down into hibernate mode rather than full close down
    >the networkcard has stopped when it restarts. The button now does not
    >restart it.
    >
    >How can I restart the network card without a full close down and restart?

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS-MVP

    Barb Bowman, Feb 13, 2008

  3. Hi
    First I would suggest to read this as a general understanding that StandBy
    and Hibernation are Not the same.
    Standby, Hibernation, Wake On Line, http://www.ezlan.net/standby.html
    When a computer is used as part of a Network (or Internet) it is important
    to take the Network components out of the StandBy "equation".
    Make sure that the computer's standby is configured to react to LAN traffic
    and the printer traffic will take it out of standby and would print.
    In some computers there is a BIOS entry that has to be switched to On to
    indicate reaction to allow Network traffic.
    In addition look into the OS' power saving setting as well as any prosperity
    standby utility (if any) and make sure that they are switching off the
    network capacity of the computer. Make sure that the Network card of the
    computer with the printer is not set to use the power saving. I.e. the
    computer can go to Standby but the network card has to stay On (
    http://www.ezlan.net/example/powersave.jpg ).
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Feb 13, 2008
  4. Jim Bunton

    Jim Bunton Guest

    Hi Jack,
    Thank you for your response. It is clearly presented and informative. There
    are areas here I hadn't thought of looking in. I will investigate these.

    A point I would like to add is that I am quite happy for the machine to
    enter either standby or hibernate modes for the purposes of power saving and
    convenience (eg just closing the lid at the end of a session rather than
    doing a full switch off). I am happy that under these conditions that the
    nework card is switched off - I don't really want/need the machine to
    automatically 'wake up' on the receipt of network signals.

    What I DO want is to be able to switch the network card on again when it
    'wakes up' from hibernate or standby without having to close down and do a
    full restart. It is only by doing this that the button "switch on network
    card" works. I can find no place in computer management for example where I
    can do this and the button remains stubbornly inactive until full restart.

    As soon as time permits I will investigate the bios settings which I haven't
    done as yet.

    Thanks again

    Jim Bunton

    Jim Bunton, Feb 14, 2008
  5. Hi
    Are you sure that switch On Network card is invoked by Windows per-se and
    Not some manufacturer propriety application.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Feb 14, 2008