Laptop recommendations wanted.

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by EMB, Feb 19, 2005.

  1. EMB

    EMB Guest

    Has anyone got any recommendations for a reasonable priced laptop that
    meets the following criteria.

    15" or larger screen, whilst widescreen would be nice it isn't a necessity.
    At least CD-R/DVD read, but preferably DVD-R.
    Wireless LAN
    Outright CPU power isn't a major issue - it will be used for mainstream
    business applications rather than gaming, viseo work or the like.


    --
    EMB
     
    EMB, Feb 19, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. EMB said the following on 20/02/2005 11:53 a.m.:
    > Has anyone got any recommendations for a reasonable priced laptop that
    > meets the following criteria.
    >
    > 15" or larger screen, whilst widescreen would be nice it isn't a necessity.
    > At least CD-R/DVD read, but preferably DVD-R.
    > Wireless LAN
    > Outright CPU power isn't a major issue - it will be used for mainstream
    > business applications rather than gaming, viseo work or the like.
    >
    >

    Toshiba M30

    --
    >>Follow ups may be set to a single group when appropriate!

    ======================================================================
    | Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |
    ======================================================================
    "I used to jog, but the ice kept bouncing out of my glass."
    "With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine......
    However, this is not necessarily a good idea...."
     
    Collector»NZ, Feb 20, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. EMB

    Frank Sams Guest

    HP Compaq NX7010

    https://secure.portables.co.nz/index.cfm?/area_searchcat/group_667

    The 1.8Ghz Centrino machine looks like what you are after.

    "Collector»NZ" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > EMB said the following on 20/02/2005 11:53 a.m.:
    >> Has anyone got any recommendations for a reasonable priced laptop that
    >> meets the following criteria.
    >>
    >> 15" or larger screen, whilst widescreen would be nice it isn't a
    >> necessity.
    >> At least CD-R/DVD read, but preferably DVD-R.
    >> Wireless LAN
    >> Outright CPU power isn't a major issue - it will be used for mainstream
    >> business applications rather than gaming, viseo work or the like.
    >>
    >>

    > Toshiba M30
    >
    > --
    > >>Follow ups may be set to a single group when appropriate!

    > ======================================================================
    > | Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |
    > ======================================================================
    > "I used to jog, but the ice kept bouncing out of my glass."
    > "With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine......
    > However, this is not necessarily a good idea...."
     
    Frank Sams, Feb 20, 2005
    #3
  4. EMB

    Gurble Guest

    On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 11:53:22 +1300, EMB <> had this to
    say:

    >Has anyone got any recommendations for a reasonable priced laptop that
    >meets the following criteria.
    >
    >15" or larger screen, whilst widescreen would be nice it isn't a necessity.
    >At least CD-R/DVD read, but preferably DVD-R.
    >Wireless LAN
    >Outright CPU power isn't a major issue - it will be used for mainstream
    >business applications rather than gaming, viseo work or the like.


    MSI M510c.

    An excellent machine (I'm typing this on one), although maybe more
    than you require with the graphics.

    SXGA+ screen makes a real difference.

    Only drawback is that it has a Combo Drive, rather than a DVD Writer.
     
    Gurble, Feb 20, 2005
    #4
  5. EMB

    Adder Guest

    In article <zTQRd.2664$> in nz.comp on Sun, 20
    Feb 2005 13:31:21 +1300, Frank Sams <> says...
    > HP Compaq NX7010


    if you have a choice Toshiba or HP/compaq go for Toshiba

    the Toshies are supplied with UDF software for the drive which can be
    used with Ms backup. Hp charges extra for a backup capability
     
    Adder, Feb 20, 2005
    #5
  6. EMB

    David Preece Guest

    EMB wrote:
    > 15" or larger screen, whilst widescreen would be nice it isn't a necessity.
    > At least CD-R/DVD read, but preferably DVD-R.
    > Wireless LAN
    > Outright CPU power isn't a major issue


    Ummmm, they're going to hate this.

    Get an Apple PowerBook
    (http://www.apple.co.nz/hardware/powerbook/15inch.php). They kick arse.

    Dave
     
    David Preece, Feb 20, 2005
    #6
  7. EMB

    EMB Guest

    David Preece wrote:
    >
    > Ummmm, they're going to hate this.
    >
    > Get an Apple PowerBook
    > (http://www.apple.co.nz/hardware/powerbook/15inch.php). They kick arse.


    I should have mentioned 'Windows' being a necessity - I'd rather see
    them with a non-MS OS but hooking up to their employer's network is
    going to require Windows as that is what the corporate IT security
    buffoons have deemed as necessary. The fact they've got an open
    wireless connection covering about a square kilometre seems to not be
    important (I told them a couple of months back, but it was still working
    this afternoon),


    --
    EMB
     
    EMB, Feb 20, 2005
    #7
  8. EMB

    David Preece Guest

    EMB wrote:
    > I should have mentioned 'Windows' being a necessity - I'd rather see
    > them with a non-MS OS but hooking up to their employer's network is
    > going to require Windows


    Message received and understood. We can't all be clueful.

    > as that is what the corporate IT security
    > buffoons have deemed as necessary.


    It's not normally security who are the problem, it's the vast army of
    MCSE's desperate for their broken coffee holder changing skills to
    remain relevant who are the problem.

    With that in mind I'd say Toshiba for quality, or Dell. Certainly not HP.

    Dave
     
    David Preece, Feb 22, 2005
    #8
  9. EMB

    EMB Guest

    David Preece wrote:
    >
    > It's not normally security who are the problem, it's the vast army of
    > MCSE's desperate for their broken coffee holder changing skills to
    > remain relevant who are the problem.


    In this case it's driven by the auditors - external accountant types
    who've bought the MS line.

    >
    > With that in mind I'd say Toshiba for quality, or Dell. Certainly not HP.


    Looks like it might be an IBM - unless anyone has anything really
    negative to say about them.


    --
    EMB
     
    EMB, Feb 22, 2005
    #9
  10. EMB wrote:
    >> With that in mind I'd say Toshiba for quality, or Dell. Certainly not HP.


    > Looks like it might be an IBM - unless anyone has anything really
    > negative to say about them.


    heh, didn't the help the nazis?

    seriously, no-one ever got fired for buying IBM.
     
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Feb 22, 2005
    #10
  11. EMB

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > EMB wrote:
    >>> With that in mind I'd say Toshiba for quality, or Dell. Certainly
    >>> not HP.

    >
    >> Looks like it might be an IBM - unless anyone has anything really
    >> negative to say about them.

    >
    > heh, didn't the help the nazis?
    >
    > seriously, no-one ever got fired for buying IBM.


    Ok, you're looking for quality, I see that. However I was in DSE yesterday
    and saw a nice little Acer lappy with a Celeron M 1.5Ghz CPU, 40GB HDD, not
    enough RAM (IMO) at 256MB, combo DVD reader CD writer, 15" screen for $1,298
    inc GST. Oh, includes XP Home.

    Bearing in mind that the 1.5Ghz Celeron M (with 512Kb cache) will run rings
    around a P4-based Celeron 2.8Ghz easilly that struck me as a really good
    deal. I'd like to see another 256MB of RAM in it though.

    Product key XC3486 (I can't paste a link from this machine as it
    automatically logs me in as I'm a VIP customer and have cookies on my
    machine. If I paste a link you can then follow it and find out *all* my
    details. Sucks huh?)

    The advert states that they are supplying them with 40Gb HDDs when they were
    previously 30GB. Well, the same goes for the CPU, 1.5 when they were
    previously 1.4. I found that out when I pointed out to the salesman that the
    card next to the machine said 1.4 but the mahine was fitted with a 1.5Ghz
    CPU.

    If I had the money and could get more RAM reasonably cheap, preferably
    fitted by DSE so no warranty problems, I'd buy one of these. Sure I'd like
    something with more features but this is just a good deal for a basic
    machine.
    --
    ~misfit~



    ----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet News==----
    http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups
    ----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----
     
    ~misfit~, Feb 23, 2005
    #11
  12. EMB

    EMB Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:

    > Ok, you're looking for quality, I see that. However I was in DSE yesterday
    > and saw a nice little Acer lappy with a Celeron M 1.5Ghz CPU, 40GB HDD, not
    > enough RAM (IMO) at 256MB, combo DVD reader CD writer, 15" screen for $1,298
    > inc GST. Oh, includes XP Home.


    The deal is done on an IBM Pentium-M 1.6, 512MB, 60GB HDD, 15" screen,
    XP-Pro, CD-RW/DVD, wireless, and all the other usual stuff for a shade
    over $2000.

    Thanks to everyone for their thoughts and comments.


    --
    EMB
     
    EMB, Feb 23, 2005
    #12
  13. EMB

    ~misfit~ Guest

    EMB wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >
    >> Ok, you're looking for quality, I see that. However I was in DSE
    >> yesterday and saw a nice little Acer lappy with a Celeron M 1.5Ghz
    >> CPU, 40GB HDD, not enough RAM (IMO) at 256MB, combo DVD reader CD
    >> writer, 15" screen for $1,298 inc GST. Oh, includes XP Home.

    >
    > The deal is done on an IBM Pentium-M 1.6, 512MB, 60GB HDD, 15" screen,
    > XP-Pro, CD-RW/DVD, wireless, and all the other usual stuff for a
    > shade over $2000.
    >
    > Thanks to everyone for their thoughts and comments.


    Nice sounding machine. Good CPU, reasonable manufacturer (<g>) and not a bad
    price.
    --
    ~misfit~



    ----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet News==----
    http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups
    ----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----
     
    ~misfit~, Feb 23, 2005
    #13
  14. EMB

    Jerry Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > seriously, no-one ever got fired for buying IBM.


    Some of us got fired *by* IBM

    Jerry
     
    Jerry, Feb 23, 2005
    #14
  15. EMB

    EMB Guest

    Jerry wrote:
    > Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >
    >> seriously, no-one ever got fired for buying IBM.

    >
    >
    > Some of us got fired *by* IBM


    It's alright, some bloke in India is *very* happy to have your old job. :-(


    --
    EMB
     
    EMB, Feb 23, 2005
    #15
  16. EMB

    Jerry Guest

    EMB wrote:
    > Jerry wrote:
    >
    >> Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >>
    >>> seriously, no-one ever got fired for buying IBM.

    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> Some of us got fired *by* IBM

    >
    >
    > It's alright, some bloke in India is *very* happy to have your old job. :-(
    >
    >

    He's fixing mainframes in Wellington that no longer exist? :p
     
    Jerry, Feb 23, 2005
    #16
  17. EMB

    EMB Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:

    > Nice sounding machine. Good CPU, reasonable manufacturer (<g>) and not a bad
    > price.


    The thing that finally tipped the scales in it's favour was watching a
    consultant drop his one (no case) onto the footpath outside work on
    Monday. He picked it up, wiped the dust off it, and fired it up no
    problems - I was expecting it to turn into an expensive paperweight.


    --
    EMB
     
    EMB, Feb 23, 2005
    #17
  18. EMB

    Jerry Guest

    Jerry wrote:
    > EMB wrote:
    >
    >> Jerry wrote:
    >>
    >>> Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> seriously, no-one ever got fired for buying IBM.
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> Some of us got fired *by* IBM

    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> It's alright, some bloke in India is *very* happy to have your old
    >> job. :-(
    >>
    >>

    > He's fixing mainframes in Wellington that no longer exist? :p


    I did do software support for a while, I suppose that is in India now
     
    Jerry, Feb 23, 2005
    #18
  19. EMB

    simondo Guest

    EMB wrote:

    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >
    >> Nice sounding machine. Good CPU, reasonable manufacturer (<g>) and not a
    >> bad price.

    >
    > The thing that finally tipped the scales in it's favour was watching a
    > consultant drop his one (no case) onto the footpath outside work on
    > Monday. He picked it up, wiped the dust off it, and fired it up no
    > problems - I was expecting it to turn into an expensive paperweight.
    >
    >


    I had one of those heart-attack moments when my Dell laptop slipped off my
    shoulder and tumbled side-over-side down two flights of stairs. Started
    fine, nothing broken or loose. Surprised the crap out of me.

    simondo
     
    simondo, Feb 23, 2005
    #19
  20. In <421bce2f$1_1@127.0.0.1> ~misfit~ wrote:

    re: Dick Smith Electronics web site

    > Product key XC3486 (I can't paste a link from this machine as it
    > automatically logs me in as I'm a VIP customer and have cookies on my
    > machine. If I paste a link you can then follow it and find out *all*
    > my details. Sucks huh?)


    I used to find that a pain too, until I noticed there's an 'e-mail page
    link' button on each product page. Click that and it does a mailto:
    complete with the following in the email body:

    ACER Notebook
    http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/en/product/XC3486

    Of course you can just change the end of the link to any catalogue
    number you like.

    --
    Roger Johnstone, Invercargill, New Zealand
    http://vintageware.orcon.net.nz/
    ________________________________________________________________________
    No Silicon Heaven? Preposterous! Where would all the calculators go?

    Kryten, from the Red Dwarf episode "The Last Day"
     
    Roger Johnstone, Feb 23, 2005
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Nozza
    Replies:
    15
    Views:
    723
    Josef Knecht
    Jul 7, 2003
  2. Graham
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    483
    Graham
    Nov 3, 2003
  3. Viller Ramone

    Going to Indianapolis - photo recommendations wanted

    Viller Ramone, Jul 24, 2003, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    11
    Views:
    1,402
    Viller Ramone
    Jul 26, 2003
  4. John Latter

    Recommendations for a £100 Digital Camera Wanted

    John Latter, Oct 31, 2003, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    372
    Paul Heslop
    Oct 31, 2003
  5. Brett
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    1,142
    Brett
    Sep 9, 2004
Loading...

Share This Page