    (or bad for that matter)

    Cheers
    Paul.
    PeeCee, Jul 24, 2006

  2. PeeCee

    Craig Sutton Guest

    "PeeCee" <> wrote in message
    news:ea2f4p$l9e$...
    > Evening all.
    >
    > Have a client that want's a Laptop (desktop replacement) in the (NZ) $1400
    > to $1700 area.
    >
    > Spec's decided on so far:
    > CPU: No Celeron, rest OK
    > Ram 512MB
    > HD >40GB
    > Screen 15.4"
    > DVD RW (not combo cdr/dvd rom)
    >
    > Any body got some particular models in mind that have shown to be good
    > buy's (or bad for that matter)

    Asus A6u
    Craig Sutton, Jul 24, 2006

  3. PeeCee

    thingy Guest

    PeeCee wrote:
    > Evening all.
    >
    > Have a client that want's a Laptop (desktop replacement) in the (NZ) $1400
    > to $1700 area.
    >
    > Spec's decided on so far:
    > CPU: No Celeron, rest OK
    > Ram 512MB
    > HD >40GB
    > Screen 15.4"
    > DVD RW (not combo cdr/dvd rom)
    >
    > Any body got some particular models in mind that have shown to be good buy's
    > (or bad for that matter)
    >
    > Cheers
    > Paul.

    I would and indeed am looking to the Acer, Asus and Dell
    laptops....though my favourite is a Mac one, but thats $2500+ odd....

    :(

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Jul 24, 2006
  4. PeeCee

    Chris Guest

    PeeCee wrote:
    > Evening all.
    >
    > Have a client that want's a Laptop (desktop replacement) in the (NZ) $1400
    > to $1700 area.
    >
    > Spec's decided on so far:
    > CPU: No Celeron, rest OK
    > Ram 512MB
    > HD >40GB
    > Screen 15.4"
    > DVD RW (not combo cdr/dvd rom)
    >
    > Any body got some particular models in mind that have shown to be good buy's
    > (or bad for that matter)
    >
    > Cheers
    > Paul.

    I just bought a Lenovo (IBM) for around that price with a T2300 CPU,
    80GB HDD, and your above specs (I added 1GB RAM myself to take it up to
    1.5GB). - I'm very happy with it. Takes linux too without a hitch. I did
    quite a bit of research first - there's actually only about 3 companies
    that actually manufacture the laptops, then they are just branded. HP,
    Lenovo have the best build quality. Acer are the worst.
    http://www.pricespy.co.nz/pno_8190.html
    Chris, Jul 25, 2006
  5. PeeCee

    PeeCee Guest

    "Chris" <> wrote in message
    > PeeCee wrote:
    >> Evening all.
    >>
    >> Have a client that want's a Laptop (desktop replacement) in the (NZ)
    >> $1400 to $1700 area.
    >>
    >> Spec's decided on so far:
    >> CPU: No Celeron, rest OK
    >> Ram 512MB
    >> HD >40GB
    >> Screen 15.4"
    >> DVD RW (not combo cdr/dvd rom)
    >>
    >> Any body got some particular models in mind that have shown to be good
    >> buy's (or bad for that matter)
    >>
    >> Cheers
    >> Paul.

    > I just bought a Lenovo (IBM) for around that price with a T2300 CPU, 80GB
    > HDD, and your above specs (I added 1GB RAM myself to take it up to
    > 1.5GB). - I'm very happy with it. Takes linux too without a hitch. I did
    > quite a bit of research first - there's actually only about 3 companies
    > that actually manufacture the laptops, then they are just branded. HP,
    > Lenovo have the best build quality. Acer are the worst.
    > http://www.pricespy.co.nz/pno_8190.html

    Glad your happy with your new toy Chris.
    Pricespy lists the cheapest T2300 at $1799 so despite agreeing with you
    (both quality and spec) it takes it over the clients limit (he wants to add
    Wireless Broadband to the bundle as well)
    Curious to know how you rate Asus?
    Paul.
    PeeCee, Jul 25, 2006
  6. PeeCee

    PeeCee Guest

    "Craig Sutton" <> wrote in message

    > "PeeCee" <> wrote in message
    >> Evening all.
    >>
    >> Have a client that want's a Laptop (desktop replacement) in the (NZ)
    >> $1400 to $1700 area.
    >>
    >> Spec's decided on so far:
    >> CPU: No Celeron, rest OK
    >> Ram 512MB
    >> HD >40GB
    >> Screen 15.4"
    >> DVD RW (not combo cdr/dvd rom)
    >>
    >> Any body got some particular models in mind that have shown to be good
    >> buy's (or bad for that matter)
    >>

    > Asus A6u

    Thanks for the input Craig.
    Your thoughts on an Asus A6000-TRMT32 (DSE XC3794)
    Paul.
    PeeCee, Jul 25, 2006
  7. PeeCee

    Charlie G Guest

    "PeeCee" <> wrote
    > Pricespy lists the cheapest T2300 at $1799 so despite agreeing with you
    > (both quality and spec) it takes it over the clients limit (he wants to
    > add Wireless Broadband to the bundle as well)
    > Curious to know how you rate Asus?

    I have an ASUS A4K not quite a year old, purchased from DSE.

    I like the machine, but have had some major annoyances. had to go back to
    DSE for replacement motherboard after two months - took them 6 weeks. Went
    back again after 5 months, took four weeks. Still the internal wireless
    card kept failing. Tried Asus service, and they were fast ( four days door
    to door ) and helpful, althougn the internal wireless is still flakey. It
    uses an internal USB connection that won't take sustained use on USB 2 -
    which means to use it have to go back to a slower connection.

    I'm not sure if this is common to the lower end ASUS machines, or just this
    model. The web site users forum suggests its a common fault. Their web
    site suffers from a lack of detail about the avaialble drivers, and their
    Taiwan based email help is a joke.

    However, if your customer is looking at an add in card, I wouldn't rule out
    ASUS - but don't let DSE service it! :)

    Charlie G.
    Charlie G, Jul 25, 2006
  8. T'was the Tue, 25 Jul 2006 21:16:33 +1200 when I remembered Chris
    <> saying something like this:

    >I just bought a Lenovo (IBM) for around that price with a T2300 CPU,
    >80GB HDD, and your above specs (I added 1GB RAM myself to take it up to
    >1.5GB). - I'm very happy with it. Takes linux too without a hitch. I did
    >quite a bit of research first - there's actually only about 3 companies
    >that actually manufacture the laptops, then they are just branded. HP,
    >Lenovo have the best build quality. Acer are the worst.

    I spent around the same kind of money for the same kind of machine
    from Dell. Excellent machine, no problems.
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.
    Waylon Kenning, Jul 25, 2006
  9. PeeCee

    Nova Guest

    Charlie G wrote:
    > "PeeCee" <> wrote
    >> Pricespy lists the cheapest T2300 at $1799 so despite agreeing with you
    >> (both quality and spec) it takes it over the clients limit (he wants to
    >> add Wireless Broadband to the bundle as well)
    >> Curious to know how you rate Asus?

    > I have an ASUS A4K not quite a year old, purchased from DSE.
    >
    > I like the machine, but have had some major annoyances. had to go back to
    > DSE for replacement motherboard after two months - took them 6 weeks. Went
    > back again after 5 months, took four weeks. Still the internal wireless
    > card kept failing. Tried Asus service, and they were fast ( four days door
    > to door ) and helpful, althougn the internal wireless is still flakey. It
    > uses an internal USB connection that won't take sustained use on USB 2 -
    > which means to use it have to go back to a slower connection.
    >
    > I'm not sure if this is common to the lower end ASUS machines, or just this
    > model. The web site users forum suggests its a common fault. Their web
    > site suffers from a lack of detail about the avaialble drivers, and their
    > Taiwan based email help is a joke.
    >
    > However, if your customer is looking at an add in card, I wouldn't rule out
    > ASUS - but don't let DSE service it! :)
    >
    > Charlie G.

    I am using an ASUS laptop and have never had any problems (have had it
    for about a year and use it for 8 hours every day).
    I use the wireless on it every day with no problems at all, in fact the
    wireless is way better than any of the PCI wireless cards I've bought
    for my other desktop machines.

    Mine is a m6000R or something like that.

    I'd love to get the Asustek A7JC as a desktop replacement, but don't
    have the $$ right now.
    Nova, Jul 26, 2006
  10. PeeCee

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Nova wrote:
    > Charlie G wrote:
    >> "PeeCee" <> wrote
    >>> Pricespy lists the cheapest T2300 at $1799 so despite agreeing with
    >>> you (both quality and spec) it takes it over the clients limit (he
    >>> wants to add Wireless Broadband to the bundle as well)
    >>> Curious to know how you rate Asus?

    >> I have an ASUS A4K not quite a year old, purchased from DSE.
    >>
    >> I like the machine, but have had some major annoyances. had to go
    >> back to DSE for replacement motherboard after two months - took them 6
    >> weeks. Went back again after 5 months, took four weeks. Still the
    >> internal wireless card kept failing. Tried Asus service, and they
    >> were fast ( four days door to door ) and helpful, althougn the
    >> internal wireless is still flakey. It uses an internal USB connection
    >> that won't take sustained use on USB 2 - which means to use it have to
    >>
    >> I'm not sure if this is common to the lower end ASUS machines, or just
    >> this model. The web site users forum suggests its a common fault.
    >> Their web site suffers from a lack of detail about the avaialble
    >> drivers, and their Taiwan based email help is a joke.
    >>
    >> However, if your customer is looking at an add in card, I wouldn't
    >> rule out ASUS - but don't let DSE service it! :)
    >>
    >> Charlie G.
    >>

    > I am using an ASUS laptop and have never had any problems (have had it
    > for about a year and use it for 8 hours every day).
    > I use the wireless on it every day with no problems at all, in fact the
    > wireless is way better than any of the PCI wireless cards I've bought
    > for my other desktop machines.
    >
    > Mine is a m6000R or something like that.
    >
    > I'd love to get the Asustek A7JC as a desktop replacement, but don't
    > have the $$ right now.

    If thats the 17" model (with TV tuner etc) a friend of mine won one a
    few months ago. Quite nice but large. (He already owns a 17" Toshiba :) )
    -=rjh=-, Jul 26, 2006
  11. PeeCee

    PeeCee Guest

    Re: Laptop recomendations, adendum

    "PeeCee" <> wrote in message
    > Evening all.
    >
    > Have a client that want's a Laptop (desktop replacement) in the (NZ) $1400
    > to $1700 area.
    >
    > Spec's decided on so far:
    > CPU: No Celeron, rest OK
    > Ram 512MB
    > HD >40GB
    > Screen 15.4"
    > DVD RW (not combo cdr/dvd rom)
    >
    > Any body got some particular models in mind that have shown to be good
    > buy's (or bad for that matter)
    >
    > Cheers
    > Paul.

    Thanks to those that have posted, your comments received with interest.

    One thing I have noticed though is to do with my client's need to go to
    Wireless Broadband (Vodafone or Telecom)
    Current AirCards are PCMCIA, neither have Express Cards available yet or are
    likely to for another 6 months.
    So that cuts out Dell laptops (well the one's I looked at anyway) and
    several of the newer models from HP/Compaq etc.

    Not a deal breaker but certainly a 'gotcha' for the unwary.

    Paul.
    PeeCee, Jul 26, 2006
  12. PeeCee

    Nova Guest

    -=rjh=- wrote:
    > Nova wrote:
    >> Charlie G wrote:
    >>> "PeeCee" <> wrote
    >>>
    >>> I have an ASUS A4K not quite a year old, purchased from DSE.
    >>>
    >>> I like the machine, but have had some major annoyances. had to go
    >>> back to DSE for replacement motherboard after two months - took them
    >>> 6 weeks. Went back again after 5 months, took four weeks. Still the
    >>> internal wireless card kept failing. Tried Asus service, and they
    >>> were fast ( four days door to door ) and helpful, althougn the
    >>> internal wireless is still flakey. It uses an internal USB
    >>> connection that won't take sustained use on USB 2 - which means to
    >>> use it have to go back to a slower connection.
    >>>
    >>> I'm not sure if this is common to the lower end ASUS machines, or
    >>> just this model. The web site users forum suggests its a common
    >>> fault. Their web site suffers from a lack of detail about the
    >>> avaialble drivers, and their Taiwan based email help is a joke.
    >>>
    >>> However, if your customer is looking at an add in card, I wouldn't
    >>> rule out ASUS - but don't let DSE service it! :)
    >>>
    >>> Charlie G.
    >>>

    >> I am using an ASUS laptop and have never had any problems (have had it
    >> for about a year and use it for 8 hours every day).
    >> I use the wireless on it every day with no problems at all, in fact
    >> the wireless is way better than any of the PCI wireless cards I've
    >> bought for my other desktop machines.
    >>
    >> Mine is a m6000R or something like that.
    >>
    >> I'd love to get the Asustek A7JC as a desktop replacement, but don't
    >> have the $$ right now.

    > If thats the 17" model (with TV tuner etc) a friend of mine won one a
    > few months ago. Quite nice but large. (He already owns a 17" Toshiba :) )

    Yeah that's it, has a screaming fast graphics card in it too...
    Definitely large has to be when it has a 17 inch screen.., more like a
    portable desktop replacement but that would suit me fine :).
    Nova, Jul 26, 2006
  13. PeeCee

    PeeCee Guest

    Re: Laptop recomendations: Decision

    "PeeCee" <> wrote in message
    > Evening all.
    >
    > Have a client that want's a Laptop (desktop replacement) in the (NZ) $1400
    > to $1700 area.
    >
    > Spec's decided on so far:
    > CPU: No Celeron, rest OK
    > Ram 512MB
    > HD >40GB
    > Screen 15.4"
    > DVD RW (not combo cdr/dvd rom)
    >
    > Any body got some particular models in mind that have shown to be good
    > buy's (or bad for that matter)
    >
    > Cheers
    > Paul.

    Bought them an Asus A6000 TRMT32 today.
    On clearout at $1698 from DSE.

    Cheers
    Paul.
    PeeCee, Jul 27, 2006
  14. PeeCee

    Who Am I Guest

    In article <>,
    thingy <> wrote:

    > PeeCee wrote:
    > > Evening all.
    > >
    > > Have a client that want's a Laptop (desktop replacement) in the (NZ) $1400
    > > to $1700 area.
    > >
    > > Spec's decided on so far:
    > > CPU: No Celeron, rest OK
    > > Ram 512MB
    > > HD >40GB
    > > Screen 15.4"
    > > DVD RW (not combo cdr/dvd rom)
    > >
    > > Any body got some particular models in mind that have shown to be good
    > > buy's
    > > (or bad for that matter)
    > >
    > > Cheers
    > > Paul.
    > >

    > I would and indeed am looking to the Acer, Asus and Dell
    > laptops....though my favourite is a Mac one, but thats $2500+ odd....
    >
    > :(
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Thing

    I shelled out for a MacBookPro, damn its a nice machine !!!
    I also bough Parallels for it so I can run Windows/Linux in a VM
    environment.

    The MacBooks were not available at the time, but now I would look
    seriously at one of them instead.

    So, I guess if you want
    No viruses
    No Spyware