    CPU: Intel Pentium M 1.73Ghz
    Installed Memory: 2 slots: 256 MB, 512 MB

    Above, are the details for this laptop. I was hoping to update both slots to either 512 MB, or 1 GB. If you could tell me the exact type of RAM, and possibly a link? I would really appreciate any and all help.
    Goldinboy, Nov 16, 2008

  2. Goldinboy

    nicholasmathew

    Joined:
    Nov 15, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    It doesnt matter, you can use 512 MB, or 1 GB, but dont use less than 512 MB

    Mathew
    nicholasmathew, Nov 20, 2008

  3. Goldinboy

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,483
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I recommend you pull one of the current memory sticks and look at the parameters of the RAM. It may be CL2 or CL3. You need to either stay at those ratings or go to lower numbers but not higher numbers. There are about 4 parameters that deal with timings between sending a request for data and actually reading the data. If you set a computer to read data before a stick of RAM is ready to provide it, you get memory faults and crashes. Cheaper RAM has higher numbers (more nanoseconds) so you pay more for RAM with the lower numbers. The newer RAM types (DDR2 or DDR3) have higher numbers because they are doing more operations (reading rising edges and reading falling edges of the waveform) in the same amount of time. Bottom line - look at the current RAM and get some larger capacity RAM sticks with the same timing parameters or with lower numbers. You can run RAM slower than it's rated for but you sometimes run into problems when trying to run RAM at faster (lower number) settings, everything else being maintained static while you swap RAM sticks in and out.
    bigal, Dec 6, 2008
  4. Goldinboy

    Tech_Mate

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2008
    Messages:
    2
    Ram

    Here is a handy little site. You will have to install an active x control then the site will scan your computer and report what ram is in each slot.

    crucial.com/systemscanner/

    Terry
    Tech_Mate, Dec 11, 2008
  5. Goldinboy

    markdevas

    Joined:
    Jan 27, 2009
    Messages:
    3
    you can use 512mb and 1Gb ram for your laptop. i think it's best.
    markdevas, Jan 28, 2009