    without battery OR ac source will use up this tiny little whatever the hell
    it is battery. what does it do anyway.. them tiny button battery
    thingamabobz...

    Kurtis, Jun 13, 2004

  2. Kurtis

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Kurtis wrote:
    >> Hey. Using a laptop on ac without battery... Is there also a tiny
    >> battery in the laptop like there is in the computer? I'm wondering
    >> if having the laptop without battery OR ac source will use up this
    >> tiny little whatever the hell it is battery. what does it do
    >> anyway.. them tiny button battery thingamabobz...

    Having just spent like 4 or 5 hours inside my Dell this week, I will say for
    certain that yes, there is a battery in it. A little smaller than the
    standard battery in most desktops, but still needed to keep CMOS settings
    when the system has no power.

    --
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where THEY
    went." ~Will Rogers~

    Toolman Tim, Jun 13, 2004

  3. Kurtis

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "Kurtis" <> wrote in

    > Hey. Using a laptop on ac without battery... Is there also a tiny
    > battery in the laptop like there is in the computer? I'm wondering if
    > having the laptop without battery OR ac source will use up this tiny
    > little whatever the hell it is battery. what does it do anyway.. them
    > tiny button battery thingamabobz...

    It's for the internal clock.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Jun 13, 2004
  4. Howdy!

    "Kurtis" <> wrote in message
    > Hey. Using a laptop on ac without battery... Is there also a tiny battery

    in
    > the laptop like there is in the computer?

    Yep, and it does the same thing. It's there to keep the clock and
    setup running when the battery AND AC aren't available.

    > I'm wondering if having the laptop
    > without battery OR ac source will use up this tiny little whatever the

    hell
    > it is battery. what does it do anyway.. them tiny button battery
    > thingamabobz...

    Yes, it will.

    RwP

    Ralph Wade Phillips, Jun 13, 2004
  5. Kurtis

    Juan Pérez Guest

    Duane Arnold wrote:
    > "Kurtis" wrote:
    >
    >> Hey. Using a laptop on ac without battery... Is there also a tiny
    >> battery in the laptop like there is in the computer? I'm wondering if
    >> having the laptop without battery OR ac source will use up this tiny
    >> little whatever the hell it is battery. what does it do anyway.. them
    >> tiny button battery thingamabobz...
    >>

    > It's for the internal clock.

    Also, as Toolman Tim pointed out, it is needed to keep CMOS settings.

    Juan Pérez, Jun 13, 2004
  6. Kurtis

    127.0.0.1 Guest

    "Kurtis" <> wrote in message
    > Hey. Using a laptop on ac without battery... Is there also a tiny battery

    in
    > the laptop like there is in the computer? I'm wondering if having the

    laptop
    > without battery OR ac source will use up this tiny little whatever the

    hell
    > it is battery. what does it do anyway.. them tiny button battery
    > thingamabobz...

    i haven't seen a laptop that did not have one.
    clock battery also used for bios.\

    as for the location, consult your online manual.

    -a|ex

    127.0.0.1, Jun 13, 2004
  7. Kurtis

    Plato Guest

    Duane Arnold wrote:

    > It's for the internal clock.

    And also to keep your hardware settings.

    Plato, Jun 13, 2004
  8. Kurtis

    TT Guest

    On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 19:24:14 -0700, Toolman Tim <>
    wrote:

    > Kurtis wrote:
    >>>

    > Having just spent like 4 or 5 hours inside my Dell this week, I will say
    > for
    > certain that yes, there is a battery in it. A little smaller than the
    > standard battery in most desktops, but still needed to keep CMOS settings
    > when the system has no power.

    Hah- I went to a local MicroCenter last year with a techie question
    about a motherboard problem and the geek/guru kept telling me thru the
    conversation that I could always "reset the nonvolatile memory" as a last
    resort-after a couple of times listening to him say that, I said "You
    mean jumper the reset CMOS pins or pull the CMOS battery right"? He said,
    "well, that would work too..."
    I still go to him with BS questions now and then when I'm in the store
    just to see what kind of Barney Fife answer he'll give me...:)

    TT, Jun 14, 2004
  9. Kurtis

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "TT" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 19:24:14 -0700, Toolman Tim
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Kurtis wrote:
    >>>>>

    >>> Having just spent like 4 or 5 hours inside my Dell this week, I
    >>> will say for
    >>> certain that yes, there is a battery in it. A little smaller than
    >>> the standard battery in most desktops, but still needed to keep
    >>> CMOS settings when the system has no power.
    >>>

    >> Hah- I went to a local MicroCenter last year with a techie
    >> question about a motherboard problem and the geek/guru kept telling
    >> me thru the conversation that I could always "reset the nonvolatile
    >> memory" as a last resort-after a couple of times listening to him
    >> say that, I said "You mean jumper the reset CMOS pins or pull the
    >> CMOS battery right"? He said, "well, that would work too..."
    >> I still go to him with BS questions now and then when I'm in the
    >> store just to see what kind of Barney Fife answer he'll give me...:)

    That is good <g>! I wonder how he can keep a job...

    THEY went." ~Will Rogers~

    Toolman Tim, Jun 14, 2004