    CC

    -----------------
    Cheekycharlie, Jul 4, 2007

  2. Cheekycharlie

    Rick Blaine Guest

    "Cheekycharlie" <> wrote in message
    news:468c1e5e$0$17896$-binaries.com...
    > Im looking to buy a new laptop, but there are so many different ones on
    > the market these days. This is so when Im working away I can use it for
    > convenience!
    >
    > Can anyone suggest a model that has these sort of specs?
    >
    > 15" monitor
    > 40Gb memory
    > 512Mb Ram
    >
    > I dont want a second hand one and my budget stretches to about £400.
    >
    > I live in the UK, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    > Thanks in advance
    >
    > CC

    RAM is memory, the 40 gig you're referring to is hard drive size. But get at
    least 1 meg of RAM and at least a 60 gig HD...

    There are no bad computers out there today-- so it's hard to go wrong. Basic
    suggestion is buy a top name brand-- Toshiba, Dell, HP or even second tier
    brands like Acer or Averatec are OK too.
    Rick Blaine, Jul 5, 2007

  3. Rick Blaine wrote:

    > "Cheekycharlie" <> wrote in message
    >> Im looking to buy a new laptop, but there are so many different
    >> ones on the market these days. This is so when Im working away
    >> I can use it for convenience!
    >>
    >> Can anyone suggest a model that has these sort of specs?
    >>
    >> 15" monitor
    >> 40Gb memory
    >> 512Mb Ram
    >>
    >> I dont want a second hand one and my budget stretches to about
    >> £400.
    >>
    >> I live in the UK, so any suggestions would be greatly
    >> appreciated. Thanks in advance
    >>
    >> CC

    > RAM is memory, the 40 gig you're referring to is hard drive
    > size. But get at least 1 meg of RAM and at least a 60 gig HD...
    >
    > There are no bad computers out there today-- so it's hard to go

    What...Packard Bell isn't aroundany more?

    --
    Blinky
    Killfiling all posts from Google Groups
    Blinky the Shark, Jul 5, 2007
  4. Cheekycharlie

    thanatoid Guest

    "Rick Blaine" <rick@cafe> wrote in

    > "Cheekycharlie" <> wrote in
    > message
    > .
    >> Im looking to buy a new laptop, but there are so many
    >> different ones on the market these days. This is so when
    >> Im working away I can use it for convenience!
    >>
    >> Can anyone suggest a model that has these sort of specs?
    >>
    >> 15" monitor
    >> 40Gb memory
    >> 512Mb Ram
    >>
    >> I dont want a second hand one and my budget stretches to
    >> about £400.
    >>
    >> I live in the UK, so any suggestions would be greatly
    >> appreciated.

    Are you implying place of residence has something to do with the
    ability to take or give advice?? Or that there is NO info avail.
    in the UK?

    >> Thanks in advance
    >>
    >> CC

    > RAM is memory, the 40 gig you're referring to is hard drive
    > size. But get at least 1 meg of RAM and at least a 60 gig
    > HD...
    >
    > There are no bad computers out there today-- so it's hard
    > to go wrong.

    You ARE joking, right?

    > Basic suggestion is buy a top name brand--
    > Toshiba, Dell, HP or even second tier brands like Acer or
    > Averatec are OK too.

    Toshiba has had MANY recalls. I would only consider a top of the
    line Dell, Sony or HP but they're all beyond your budget. That's
    why I suggest a LOT of research. (A friend of mine has an
    inexpensive Fujitsu Lifebook. He had to send it in for repair
    within the first year but since then it's been fine. I would
    never get a laptop myself - too delicate, impossible to modify
    and hard and expensive to fix.)

    There are many "smaller" UK brand name manufacturers who might
    be willing to build you a custom laptop with just what you want.
    Look in all the smaller ads in any of the big PC magazines
    (PCMAG, PC Answers, etc). That would be the best way to go IMO.

    Also, there are MANY review sites all over the web, including
    www.epinions.com for words from people who HAVE the product. Do
    some research.

    IMO 40GB HD is plenty (FWIW I actually don't think you'll FIND a
    laptop with less than 80GB HD) but make sure you get a CD/DVD
    burner and at least 1GB of RAM especially if you're thinking of
    running Vista. (If custom-made, get XP, or even Win98. Depends
    on what you're doing I suppose.)

    --
    Everyone who installs Vista is insane.
    thanatoid, Jul 5, 2007
  5. Rick Blaine wrote:

    > There are no bad computers out there today-- so it's hard to go wrong. Basic
    > suggestion is buy a top name brand-- Toshiba, Dell, HP or even second tier
    > brands like Acer or Averatec are OK too.

    If there are no bad laptops out there, what would you offer me for my
    Gateway I bought new a little over a year ago? Keys are missing, it
    won't power up and feels as flimsy as one of those giveaway calculators.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jul 5, 2007