    Is there any way to save the thing without doing a complete new install of
    98. Wanted to put xp on it but a don't really think it will work.
    Cheers all. Jim
    Jimbo, Oct 29, 2005

  2. Jimbo wrote:
    > Have been given an old laptop to fix. PIII 500mz 64 meg ram running what's
    > left of win 98. She wanted to save space so started deleting files, and you
    > know where this is going.
    > When the thing starts up I can get into bios but if left it just come up
    > with " Invalid system disc. Replace the disc then press any key"

    That is usually a sign of a floppy disc in the slot.

    > Is there any way to save the thing without doing a complete new install of
    > 98. Wanted to put xp on it but a don't really think it will work.
    > Cheers all. Jim

    Reinstall 98.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=, Oct 29, 2005

  3. Jimbo

    PC Guest

    snip
    > Is there any way to save the thing without doing a complete new install of
    > 98.

    Boot from a Win98 floppy disk and 'sys c:' or if required 'fdisk/mbr' ,
    this should get the hd back to bootable condition. Try www.bootdisk.com if
    you don't have a Win98 boot floppy.

    This will allow you to at least what is on there by using DOS command line
    (if it won't boot to Windows).
    Most likely 'fix' is going to be reinstall of Win 98, people who 'create
    space' in this way usually delete the oddest of things, so best be sure.

    >Wanted to put xp on it but a don't really think it will work.

    If she aint got enough space with Win98, no way will there be enough with XP
    on it.

    Cheers
    Paul.
    PC, Oct 29, 2005
  4. Jimbo

    Plato Guest

    Jimbo wrote:

    > Have been given an old laptop to fix. PIII 500mz 64 meg ram running what's
    > left of win 98. She wanted to save space so started deleting files, and you
    > know where this is going.
    > When the thing starts up I can get into bios but if left it just come up
    > with " Invalid system disc. Replace the disc then press any key"
    >
    > Is there any way to save the thing without doing a complete new install of
    > 98. Wanted to put xp on it but a don't really think it will work.
    > Cheers all. Jim

    sys c: from a bootdisk
    Plato, Oct 29, 2005
  5. Jimbo

    Plato Guest

    PC wrote:

    > Most likely 'fix' is going to be reinstall of Win 98, people who 'create
    > space' in this way usually delete the oddest of things, so best be sure.

    I've messed up in the past deleting files in root that you need.
    Sometimes happens when some average Joe installed some app to c: so you
    got 300 files in the root directory. So you go to remove them and
    accidentally remove well, you know :)
    Plato, Oct 29, 2005
  6. "Jimbo" <> wrote in message
    > Have been given an old laptop to fix. PIII 500mz 64 meg ram running what's
    > left of win 98. She wanted to save space so started deleting files, and
    > you know where this is going.
    > When the thing starts up I can get into bios but if left it just come up
    > with " Invalid system disc. Replace the disc then press any key"
    >
    > Is there any way to save the thing without doing a complete new install of
    > 98. Wanted to put xp on it but a don't really think it will work.
    > Cheers all. Jim

    Your problem has nothing to do with the computer being a laptop. If you use
    a more descriptive subject line, you'll bet more help...

    Pat
    Patrick Cleburne, Oct 29, 2005
  7. Jimbo

    Jimbo Guest

    Cheers will do. Makes since now don't it

    Jimbo, Oct 29, 2005
  8. Jimbo

    Jimbo Guest

    A dont have a floppy on the machine but a remember ages ago having a copy of
    98 with the boot disc on the cd if that makes sence.
    Cheers all for help.
    Jim

    Jimbo, Oct 29, 2005
  9. Jimbo

    Toolman Tim Guest

    The versions of W98 that I've used were bootable CDs. The floppy was
    included in the package for those computers which were unable to boot from
    CD.

    Jimbo wrote:
    > A dont have a floppy on the machine but a remember ages ago having a
    > copy of 98 with the boot disc on the cd if that makes sence.
    > Cheers all for help.
    > Jim
    > "Patrick Cleburne" <mgcleburne@csa> wrote in message
    >> "Jimbo" <> wrote in message
    >>> Have been given an old laptop to fix. PIII 500mz 64 meg ram running
    >>> what's left of win 98. She wanted to save space so started deleting
    >>> files, and you know where this is going.
    >>> When the thing starts up I can get into bios but if left it just
    >>> come up with " Invalid system disc. Replace the disc then press
    >>> any key" Is there any way to save the thing without doing a complete new
    >>> install of 98. Wanted to put xp on it but a don't really think it
    >>> will work. Cheers all. Jim

    >> Your problem has nothing to do with the computer being a laptop. If
    >> you use a more descriptive subject line, you'll bet more help...
    >>

    >> Pat

    like an idiot.
    Toolman Tim, Oct 29, 2005