laptop problem--suggestions?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by MZB, Apr 24, 2010.

  1. MZB

    MZB Guest

    Howdy:

    I have had this Inspiron 2200 for about 6 years and I use it a lot. I am
    running XP HOME SP3.

    Lately, I am having the following problem:

    The computer suddenly slows down to a crawl. There can be a 3-minute wait
    for any response. Sometimes I'll just see an hourglass for awhile.
    I thought it might be internet-related, but when this starts I can
    completely close my browser and the problem continues. At times I'll have to
    do a cold shutdown (ie: hold down the on/off switch to shut it down).

    I'm not sure how to troubleshoot this. I've run msconfig and reduced the
    startup stuff. I'm not sure if that helps.

    One other problem: I used to be able to go on standby. But when I do now I
    get the BSOD when starting up from standby. When I request an error report,
    it suggests that I look at updating my device drivers. But it doesn't
    specify any paerticular device/driver. This problem may not even be related
    to my other one.

    One other clue perhaps is that the fan is going every time this happens. It
    only happens after I've been running the computer for awhile. Does this
    sound like an overheating problem? Last time it happened, I could not get it
    to restart; it would freeze after the splash screen, so again I had to do a
    cold shutdown. That was last night. Today it booted right up and is running
    nicely, no problems.

    I use Avira AV and keep it updated. Scans are clean. Ditto with
    malwarebytes. I regularly clean out the cache and other temp files.

    Suggestions?

    Mel

    MZB, Apr 24, 2010

  2. MZB

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2010-04-24, MZB <> wrote:
    > Howdy:
    >
    > I have had this Inspiron 2200 for about 6 years and I use it a lot. I am
    > running XP HOME SP3.
    >
    > Lately, I am having the following problem:
    >
    > The computer suddenly slows down to a crawl. There can be a 3-minute wait
    > for any response. Sometimes I'll just see an hourglass for awhile.
    > I thought it might be internet-related, but when this starts I can
    > completely close my browser and the problem continues. At times I'll have to
    > do a cold shutdown (ie: hold down the on/off switch to shut it down).

    [...]

    > Suggestions?
    >
    > Mel

    Forced shut-downs won't be helping; they can damage files the operating
    system needs to work properly. Try letting the machine sort itself out -
    it may just be too busy to respond, rather than 'stalled'.

    Automated checking for updates to anti-virus etc programs doesn't
    necessarily use your web browser; there is a lot more to the internet than
    the web. If you forcibly stop the machine while it's trying to find or
    install 'updates' of any sort, all sorts of things could 'break'.

    Overheating is certainly one thing to check; use 'canned air' sold for the
    purpose in electronics shops to remove dust and fluff from the fans,
    heatsinks, and ducts. Also make sure the vents are not blocked - standing
    the machine directly on soft furniture or ones lap can do that, using a
    board or tray can make a big difference.

    Check that programs you aren't using aren't still running.

    If you want to have anti-malware scans or other house-keeping tasks carried
    out periodically, schedule them for times when the machine is likely to be
    running but not wanted for anything 'big'. It could be better to set such
    things to be run manually as and when it suits you, rather than
    automatically - if you remember to do it!

    Running out of hard disc space can cause problems, particularly if you
    have the 'swap space' set to something like 'automatic' or 'as much as
    possible'; when the operating system tries to use the swap space it can
    struggle if that space is fragmented or too small. Remove files you don't
    need to have immediately available (put them on removable discs or memory
    sticks instead), and use the Windows 'system' tools to repair or remove
    'orphaned' files and unwanted temporary files; then 'defragment', and set a
    fixed size and position for the 'swap space'. Even with a fixed swap
    file, lack of space for storing new or changed files can make the machine
    work hard trying to squeeze them in.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Apr 24, 2010

  3. MZB

    Buffalo Guest

    MZB wrote:
    > Howdy:
    >
    > I have had this Inspiron 2200 for about 6 years and I use it a lot. I
    > am running XP HOME SP3.
    >
    > Lately, I am having the following problem:
    >
    > The computer suddenly slows down to a crawl. There can be a 3-minute
    > wait for any response. Sometimes I'll just see an hourglass for
    > awhile.
    > I thought it might be internet-related, but when this starts I can
    > completely close my browser and the problem continues. At times I'll
    > have to do a cold shutdown (ie: hold down the on/off switch to shut
    > it down).
    >
    > I'm not sure how to troubleshoot this. I've run msconfig and reduced
    > the startup stuff. I'm not sure if that helps.
    >
    > One other problem: I used to be able to go on standby. But when I do
    > now I get the BSOD when starting up from standby. When I request an
    > error report, it suggests that I look at updating my device drivers.
    > But it doesn't specify any paerticular device/driver. This problem
    > may not even be related to my other one.
    >
    > One other clue perhaps is that the fan is going every time this
    > happens. It only happens after I've been running the computer for
    > awhile. Does this sound like an overheating problem? Last time it
    > happened, I could not get it to restart; it would freeze after the
    > splash screen, so again I had to do a cold shutdown. That was last
    > night. Today it booted right up and is running nicely, no problems.
    >
    > I use Avira AV and keep it updated. Scans are clean. Ditto with
    > malwarebytes. I regularly clean out the cache and other temp files.
    >
    > Suggestions?
    >
    > Mel

    Probably overheating. If the cpu(processor) gets too hot, it goes into
    survival mode on Intel brands, anyway.As mentioned in another post, make
    sure the laptop is on a hard surface so that the vents are exposed.
    If you can keep it running long enough dl and install a free temp monitoring
    program such as MotherBoardMonitor and you will be able to see what the
    temps actually.
    Or, if you feel comfortable, open up the laptop and manually clean the cpu
    heatsink cooling fins and cpu fan blades, etc with a can of compressed air,
    at least.
    Buffalo

    Buffalo, Apr 24, 2010
  4. MZB

    larya Guest

    If the problem is overheating, you may need a new battery...
    However, my first thought was, have you done a defragmentation or
    disk cleanup...
    Larry

    larya, Apr 24, 2010
  5. MZB

    MZB Guest

    Larry:

    Yes, I have done those things

    Mel

    MZB, Apr 24, 2010
  6. MZB

    chuckcar Guest

    "MZB" <> wrote in

    > Howdy:
    >
    > I have had this Inspiron 2200 for about 6 years and I use it a lot. I
    > am running XP HOME SP3.
    >
    > Lately, I am having the following problem:
    >
    > The computer suddenly slows down to a crawl. There can be a 3-minute
    > wait for any response. Sometimes I'll just see an hourglass for
    > awhile. I thought it might be internet-related, but when this starts I
    > can completely close my browser and the problem continues. At times
    > I'll have to do a cold shutdown (ie: hold down the on/off switch to
    > shut it down).

    > I'm not sure how to troubleshoot this. I've run msconfig and reduced
    > the startup stuff. I'm not sure if that helps.

    Have you experimented with turning them *all* off to try to at least
    eliminate that possibility? None are required for windows itself to run.

    > One other problem: I used to be able to go on standby. But when I do
    > now I get the BSOD when starting up from standby. When I request an
    > error report, it suggests that I look at updating my device drivers.
    > But it doesn't specify any paerticular device/driver. This problem may
    > not even be related to my other one.

    Then windows has become corrupted from hard shutdowns. A restore to a
    date *before* you started might fix this problem, followed by
    *immediately* turning off all startup entries as they will revert to the
    setting it was on that date.

    > One other clue perhaps is that the fan is going every time this
    > happens. It only happens after I've been running the computer for
    > awhile. Does this sound like an overheating problem? Last time it
    > happened, I could not get it to restart; it would freeze after the
    > splash screen, so again I had to do a cold shutdown. That was last
    > night. Today it booted right up and is running nicely, no problems.

    Fans run to cool computers. The time to worry is when the fans *aren't*
    running. You may have three of them. Which one?

    > I use Avira AV and keep it updated. Scans are clean. Ditto with
    > malwarebytes. I regularly clean out the cache and other temp files.

    Try the above and see if you notice any performance increase. Almost
    certainly you will. If the computer isn't running other things -
    precisely what startup is - there's nothing to slow it down. However, do
    *not* ise the internet while you're doing this as you will then no
    longer have any AV or firewall protection. You *do* use a firewall other
    than the one that came with MS windows right?

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Apr 24, 2010