    signal from the motherboard.

    Should I replace the inverter or the display itself?

    Thanks for any help you can offer.

    E. Berger, Jan 17, 2007

  2. E. Berger

    Baron Guest

    E. Berger wrote:

    > I have a Dell Inspiron 1100 laptop with a Toshiba display.
    >
    > How does one know -- if one does not have test equipment -- if a
    > display problem is with the display screen itself or the inverter
    > board.
    >
    > The symptom is that when the display turns on, it comes up white.
    > It is
    > not a bright white. Using and external monitor reveals that the
    > computer is working just fine (expect for its display).
    >
    > The display responds to the computer -- for instance, using the
    > properties menu to change the display resolution causes the display
    > to go black for a moment, and then come back on white. It is,
    > therefore, receiving some signal from the motherboard.
    >
    > Should I replace the inverter or the display itself?
    >
    > Thanks for any help you can offer.

    Simple ! Display is faulty. The white light comes from the backlight!

    --
    Best Regards:
    Baron.

    Baron, Jan 17, 2007

  3. E. Berger

    gowanoh Guest

    Wouldn't it be better to salvage the hard drive and replace the computer?

    gowanoh, Jan 17, 2007
  4. E. Berger

    E. Berger Guest

    "gowanoh" <> wrote in

    > Wouldn't it be better to salvage the hard drive and replace the
    > computer?

    Well, I thought about that, too. It is just that it really bugs me how
    much waste is created by three-year old computers that nobody wants any
    more. This machine is for my 9-year old, and she doesn't need anything
    fancy. I figured that for $100 bucks I can get a machine that she can use
    for a few more years, and that is cheaper than a new low-end machine for
    $600.00.

    E. Berger, Jan 18, 2007
  5. E. Berger

    E. Berger Guest

    I understand your answer that I need to replace the display. Cool.
    Thanks.

    Now, for the benefit of those who don't understand what you said (I, of
    course, understand completely) what is an inverter, what is a backlight,
    what aren't the part of the display, and how do all the pieces connect?

    You must limit yourself to 25 words or less ;)

    Thanks.

    Baron <> wrote in news:45ae8da0@
    212.67.96.135:

    E. Berger, Jan 18, 2007
  6. E. Berger

    Baron Guest

    E. Berger wrote:

    > "gowanoh" <> wrote in
    >
    >> Wouldn't it be better to salvage the hard drive and replace the
    >> computer?
    >>

    > Well, I thought about that, too. It is just that it really bugs me
    > how much waste is created by three-year old computers that nobody
    > wants any
    > more. This machine is for my 9-year old, and she doesn't need
    > anything
    > fancy. I figured that for $100 bucks I can get a machine that she
    > can use for a few more years, and that is cheaper than a new low-end
    > machine for $600.00.

    If its got a VGA connector.... Try plugging in a monitor ! Got to be
    cheaper than a new display !

    --
    Best Regards:
    Baron.