Laptop pointer question

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by joewo, Dec 15, 2005.

  1. joewo

    joewo Guest

    So I have a typical laptop with the pointer square that lets you move
    the cursor around by dragging your finger around. Just to the right
    of that area that I can drag my finger around is an up arrow and down
    arrow (not the keys but right next to the scrolling square). What do
    the arrows do or do they do anything? Can I activate and use the
    small arrows or are they there to graphically represent that the
    scrolling square area moves the cursor around?
    joewo, Dec 15, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. joewo

    Trent SC Guest

    > So I have a typical laptop with the pointer square that lets you move
    > the cursor around by dragging your finger around. Just to the right
    > of that area that I can drag my finger around is an up arrow and down
    > arrow (not the keys but right next to the scrolling square). What do
    > the arrows do or do they do anything? Can I activate and use the
    > small arrows or are they there to graphically represent that the
    > scrolling square area moves the cursor around?


    RTFM
    Trent SC, Dec 15, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. joewo

    SgtMinor Guest

    joewo wrote:
    > So I have a typical laptop with the pointer square that lets you move
    > the cursor around by dragging your finger around. Just to the right
    > of that area that I can drag my finger around is an up arrow and down
    > arrow (not the keys but right next to the scrolling square). What do
    > the arrows do or do they do anything? Can I activate and use the
    > small arrows or are they there to graphically represent that the
    > scrolling square area moves the cursor around?


    On that particular make and model, yes.
    SgtMinor, Dec 15, 2005
    #3
  4. joewo

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2005-12-15, joewo <> wrote:
    > So I have a typical laptop with the pointer square that lets you move
    > the cursor around by dragging your finger around. Just to the right
    > of that area that I can drag my finger around is an up arrow and down
    > arrow (not the keys but right next to the scrolling square). What do
    > the arrows do or do they do anything? Can I activate and use the
    > small arrows or are they there to graphically represent that the
    > scrolling square area moves the cursor around?


    It's probably a 'Synaptics' touchpad and if you have the fully-featured
    Synaptics 'driver' software you can configure all sorts of fancy things
    with the different areas of the pad - one being to emulate a 'scroll
    wheel' by moving your finger up and down the right-hand edge of the
    sensitive area. The printed or engraved markings probably indicate that
    function, but if it doesn't seem to work then you need to either install
    or configure the appropriate 'drivers'.

    As you seem to be using a Windows news-reader program, perhaps the Windows
    'my computer' icon or whatever it's called these days would be a good
    place to start, if you want to investigate further.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    -- ~~~~~~~~~~
    Whiskers, Dec 15, 2005
    #4
  5. joewo

    joewo Guest

    Thanks Whiskers-your ideas are appreciated!! I will check out the
    Synaptics site.


    It always amazes me that people in a group with the name of HELPDESK
    say RTFM or other associated dumb stuff like that. I did RTFM and it
    didn't say anything....hence a post here. So why respond when your
    total addition to the discussion is RTFM and presumably said in a
    derogatory manner? When someone asks a logical question seeking help
    and a nasty response is given...who is the true idiot in that
    discussion?






    On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 23:52:02 +0000, Whiskers
    <> wrote:

    >On 2005-12-15, joewo <> wrote:
    >> So I have a typical laptop with the pointer square that lets you move
    >> the cursor around by dragging your finger around. Just to the right
    >> of that area that I can drag my finger around is an up arrow and down
    >> arrow (not the keys but right next to the scrolling square). What do
    >> the arrows do or do they do anything? Can I activate and use the
    >> small arrows or are they there to graphically represent that the
    >> scrolling square area moves the cursor around?

    >
    >It's probably a 'Synaptics' touchpad and if you have the fully-featured
    >Synaptics 'driver' software you can configure all sorts of fancy things
    >with the different areas of the pad - one being to emulate a 'scroll
    >wheel' by moving your finger up and down the right-hand edge of the
    >sensitive area. The printed or engraved markings probably indicate that
    >function, but if it doesn't seem to work then you need to either install
    >or configure the appropriate 'drivers'.
    >
    >As you seem to be using a Windows news-reader program, perhaps the Windows
    >'my computer' icon or whatever it's called these days would be a good
    >place to start, if you want to investigate further.
    joewo, Dec 16, 2005
    #5
  6. joewo

    FML Guest

    joewo wrote:
    > So I have a typical laptop with the pointer square that lets you move
    > the cursor around by dragging your finger around. Just to the right
    > of that area that I can drag my finger around is an up arrow and down
    > arrow (not the keys but right next to the scrolling square). What do
    > the arrows do or do they do anything? Can I activate and use the
    > small arrows or are they there to graphically represent that the
    > scrolling square area moves the cursor around?


    The area to the right of the touchpad can behave like the wheel on a
    mouse. Typically you have to have the touchpad drivers for your
    particular machine installed to enable this feature. Go to Control Panel
    and select Mouse. If the driver is installed, all the features for the
    touchpad should be configurable there.
    FML, Dec 16, 2005
    #6
  7. joewo

    SgtMinor Guest

    joewo wrote:
    > Thanks Whiskers-your ideas are appreciated!! I will check out the
    > Synaptics site.
    >
    >
    > It always amazes me that people in a group with the name of HELPDESK
    > say RTFM or other associated dumb stuff like that. I did RTFM and it
    > didn't say anything....hence a post here. So why respond when your
    > total addition to the discussion is RTFM and presumably said in a
    > derogatory manner? When someone asks a logical question seeking help
    > and a nasty response is given...who is the true idiot in that
    > discussion?


    Be careful you don't fall off that high horse. Yeah, it says helpdesk
    somewhere in the name, it doesn't say shit-sorting. You can't expect to
    dump a load of verbal manure and think people will rush over to it and
    sort it out for you.

    And if you had read the FM you would have known that "the pointer square
    that lets you move the cursor around by dragging your finger around" is
    called a touchpad.

    You come across like an ignorant selfish boor.

    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 23:52:02 +0000, Whiskers
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>On 2005-12-15, joewo <> wrote:
    >>> So I have a typical laptop with the pointer square that lets you move
    >>> the cursor around by dragging your finger around. Just to the right
    >>> of that area that I can drag my finger around is an up arrow and down
    >>> arrow (not the keys but right next to the scrolling square). What do
    >>> the arrows do or do they do anything? Can I activate and use the
    >>> small arrows or are they there to graphically represent that the
    >>> scrolling square area moves the cursor around?

    >>
    >>It's probably a 'Synaptics' touchpad and if you have the fully-featured
    >>Synaptics 'driver' software you can configure all sorts of fancy things
    >>with the different areas of the pad - one being to emulate a 'scroll
    >>wheel' by moving your finger up and down the right-hand edge of the
    >>sensitive area. The printed or engraved markings probably indicate that
    >>function, but if it doesn't seem to work then you need to either install
    >>or configure the appropriate 'drivers'.
    >>
    >>As you seem to be using a Windows news-reader program, perhaps the Windows
    >>'my computer' icon or whatever it's called these days would be a good
    >>place to start, if you want to investigate further.

    >
    SgtMinor, Dec 16, 2005
    #7
  8. joewo

    joewo Guest

    FML- Thanks for your help as well...you and Whiskers gave some good
    ideas. It is much easier to just give a quality answer like that as
    opposed to hot air. Just as many keystrokes ironically!!

    I realize it was a stoopid question but sometimes easy ones are just
    elusive like that!! Next time I will ask for a VLSM of a Class E
    subnet.

    I will play with the Control Panel mouse settings as suggested.









    On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 18:39:34 -0600, FML <>
    wrote:

    >joewo wrote:
    >> So I have a typical laptop with the pointer square that lets you move
    >> the cursor around by dragging your finger around. Just to the right
    >> of that area that I can drag my finger around is an up arrow and down
    >> arrow (not the keys but right next to the scrolling square). What do
    >> the arrows do or do they do anything? Can I activate and use the
    >> small arrows or are they there to graphically represent that the
    >> scrolling square area moves the cursor around?

    >
    >The area to the right of the touchpad can behave like the wheel on a
    >mouse. Typically you have to have the touchpad drivers for your
    >particular machine installed to enable this feature. Go to Control Panel
    >and select Mouse. If the driver is installed, all the features for the
    >touchpad should be configurable there.
    joewo, Dec 16, 2005
    #8
  9. joewo

    why? Guest

    On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 19:37:29 -0800, joewo wrote:

    >FML- Thanks for your help as well...you and Whiskers gave some good
    >ideas. It is much easier to just give a quality answer like that as


    There is nothing typical about laptops, they are usually the worst
    custom stuff around, more so for those where the make / model isn't
    mentioned.

    >opposed to hot air. Just as many keystrokes ironically!!
    >
    >I realize it was a stoopid question but sometimes easy ones are just
    >elusive like that!! Next time I will ask for a VLSM of a Class E
    >subnet.


    Although you most likely know Class E is experimental and not to be
    used.


    Don't bother, instead STFW
    http://www.google.com/search?q=VLSM of a Class E subnet
    Results 1 - 10 of about 14,500 English pages for
    VLSM of a Class E subnet
    .. (0.19 seconds)

    Which finds some VLSM tutorials.

    >I will play with the Control Panel mouse settings as suggested.
    >
    >
    >On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 18:39:34 -0600, FML <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>joewo wrote:
    >>> So I have a typical laptop with the pointer square that lets you move
    >>> the cursor around by dragging your finger around. Just to the right

    <snip>

    Me
    why?, Dec 16, 2005
    #9
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. =?Utf-8?B?Q3liZXJMb3R1cw==?=

    Pointer for questionnaires on Microsoft technologies

    =?Utf-8?B?Q3liZXJMb3R1cw==?=, Feb 10, 2005, in forum: Microsoft Certification
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    494
    CrushesBeforeItCuts
    Feb 11, 2005
  2. Brian H¹©

    Re: Mouse Pointer

    Brian H¹©, Jul 6, 2003, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    837
    Juan Pérez
    Jul 8, 2003
  3. °Mike°

    Re: Mouse Pointer

    °Mike°, Jul 6, 2003, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    463
    °Mike°
    Jul 6, 2003
  4. Bun Mui

    Using touch pad on laptop to move the pointer

    Bun Mui, May 17, 2006, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    363
    Whiskers
    May 17, 2006
  5. rafael
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    1,684
    Jack \(MVP-Networking\).
    Jan 21, 2008
Loading...

Share This Page