    laptop connected to my webcam. Has anyone else tried this? If so how about
    some pic posts and advice etc. Who needs a digital camera ha ha! Let me know
    you ideas on this form of photography.

    Santa, Jan 23, 2005

  2. Santa

    Guest

    Kibo informs me that "Santa" <me@home> stated that:

    >I recently did some experimental outdoor photography, using nothing but my
    >laptop connected to my webcam. Has anyone else tried this? If so how about
    >some pic posts and advice etc. Who needs a digital camera ha ha! Let me know
    >you ideas on this form of photography.

    (1) Ridiculously low resolution,
    (2) God-awful colour
    (3) Zero control over DoF.

    , Jan 23, 2005

  3. Santa

    GLC1173 Guest

    Santa wrote:
    >I recently did some experimental outdoor >photography, using nothing but my
    >laptop connected to my webcam. Has >anyone else tried this? If so how about
    >some pic posts and advice etc. Who >needs a digital camera ha ha!

    Who needs a digicam? The setup you describe is inconvenient as hell - and
    won't ever be feasible for anyone from tourists to Grandma just wanting to
    photo the grandkids! And how much optical zoom - or flash - does any webcam
    have?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    <B>Dissident news - plus immigration, gun rights, weather, Internet Gun Show
    <I><A HREF="http://www.alamanceind.com">ALAMANCE INDEPENDENT:
    official newspaper of the Vast Right Wing Conspiracy</A></b></i>

    GLC1173, Jan 23, 2005
  4. Santa

    Drifter Guest

    On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 17:13:35 +0930, "Santa" <me@home> wrote:

    >I recently did some experimental outdoor photography, using nothing but my
    >laptop connected to my webcam. Has anyone else tried this? If so how about
    >some pic posts and advice etc. Who needs a digital camera ha ha! Let me know
    >you ideas on this form of photography.

    Umm, any picture is better than no picture?

    Drifter
    "I've been here, I've been there..."

    Drifter, Jan 23, 2005
  5. Santa

    GLC1173 Guest

    Drifter quoted Santa:
    >>I recently did some experimental >>outdoor photography, using nothing but
    >>my laptop connected to my webcam.

    and replied:
    >Umm, any picture is better than no >picture?

    "No picture" will be exactly what he gets depending on that setup rather
    than a conventional digicam - as he just won't have it with him and connected
    ready to take photos when he's out driving and sees something.

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    GLC1173, Jan 23, 2005
  6. Santa

    Robert Scott Guest

    "Drifter" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 17:13:35 +0930, "Santa" <me@home> wrote:
    >
    >>I recently did some experimental outdoor photography, using nothing but my
    >>laptop connected to my webcam. Has anyone else tried this? If so how about
    >>some pic posts and advice etc. Who needs a digital camera ha ha! Let me
    >>know
    >>you ideas on this form of photography.

    > Umm, any picture is better than no picture?

    And it's fun to expermiment with any kind of photography?

    Good shooting,
    Bob Scott

    Robert Scott, Jan 23, 2005
  7. Santa

    Marcel Guest

    Pulling our collective legs, of course ;-)))))
    Marcel

    Marcel, Jan 23, 2005
  8. Santa

    Mark B. Guest

    "Santa" <me@home> wrote in message news:41f355a8$...
    >I recently did some experimental outdoor photography, using nothing but my
    >laptop connected to my webcam. Has anyone else tried this? If so how about
    >some pic posts and advice etc. Who needs a digital camera ha ha! Let me
    >know you ideas on this form of photography.

    Aside from the terrible image quality, it would be incredibly inconvenient
    to carry a laptop around. But hey if it makes you happy, knock yourself
    out.

    Mark

    Mark B., Jan 23, 2005
  9. Santa

    Hunt Guest

    In article <41f355a8$>, me@home says...

    >I recently did some experimental outdoor photography, using nothing but my
    >laptop connected to my webcam. Has anyone else tried this? If so how about
    >some pic posts and advice etc. Who needs a digital camera ha ha! Let me know
    >you ideas on this form of photography.

    I have shot with my D-70 and Nikon Capture 4 on my laptop, but that is a bit
    different. In the "good old days" of film, I did quite a bit of "laptop
    photography," and most of those shots were on frame 0-0A. Sometimes, it was "
    shoe top" photography. Heck, back in film school, I mounted a showing of 0-0A
    frames!

    Hunt

    Hunt, Jan 23, 2005
  10. Santa

    FoulDragon Guest

    Another interesting version:

    Hook camcorder into TV tuner card. Use TV software to take pics.

    I tried it before getting my first digicam. Not only is it poor res (640x480
    or so), but it's a slow exposure and INTERLACED!
    --
    Marada Shra'drakaii

    FoulDragon, Jan 23, 2005
  11. Santa

    paul Guest

    Hunt wrote:

    > I have shot with my D-70 and Nikon Capture 4 on my laptop, but that is a bit
    > different. In the "good old days" of film, I did quite a bit of "laptop
    > photography," and most of those shots were on frame 0-0A. Sometimes, it was "
    > shoe top" photography. Heck, back in film school, I mounted a showing of 0-0A
    > frames!

    It is a very cool way to experiment with settings & see full size
    results immediately. You can change all the WB ISO, everything from nice
    menus with sliders & drop lists. I recommend that method for carefully
    set up shots if you have the patience. I set up a folding rack on my
    tripod to hold the laptop for doing time lapse, the biggest problem is
    in any kind of daylight it's real hard to see the screen, you would need
    a piece of black fabric to hide under to keep from going crazy squinting
    at the menus. The other problem is there is a significant delay between
    shots.

    paul, Jan 23, 2005
  12. Santa

    Guest

    In message <>,
    (FoulDragon) wrote:

    >Another interesting version:
    >
    >Hook camcorder into TV tuner card. Use TV software to take pics.
    >
    >I tried it before getting my first digicam. Not only is it poor res (640x480
    >or so), but it's a slow exposure and INTERLACED!

    Best thing to do with an interlaced capture is to split it into two, and
    increase the vertical resolution only of each to 200%, if motion
    separates the fields. They're still only 1/60s (1/25 in PAL), though,
    after the split.
    --

    <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
    John P Sheehy <>
    ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><

    , Jan 23, 2005
  13. Santa

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Marcel wrote:
    > Pulling our collective legs, of course ;-)))))
    > Marcel
    >

    > "Santa" <me@home> wrote in message news:41f355a8$...
    >
    >>I recently did some experimental outdoor photography, using nothing but my
    >>laptop connected to my webcam. Has anyone else tried this? If so how about
    >>some pic posts and advice etc. Who needs a digital camera ha ha! Let me

    > know
    >
    >>you ideas on this form of photography.

    Yes, I have. It is about the poorest quality you can get. Buy a real
    digital camera.

    Ron Hunter, Jan 24, 2005