Laptop pauses while typing and scrolling

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by catbread.org@gmail.com, Jan 21, 2008.

  1. Guest

    Hello.Hello. I have been having a strange problem in my Dell
    Vostro1000 running XP Home SP2 with all the latest patches.

    I noticed that whenever I type something every 5 seconds or so,
    there's this half second lag and the text has to catch back up with
    me. This happens in all programs (word, firefox, anything with text)

    Music plays fine and there's no skipping in that. HD Video also runs
    fine. No hiccups at all. I ran two different memory tests that are on
    Ultimate Boot CD and they both came out with zero errors.

    I have:
    Defragmented
    Checked all BIOS settings
    Changed power settings
    Checked for corrupted memory
    Scanned for spyware/malware
    Ran HijackThis and found nothing
    Tested in knoppix for text error and found no problem (leading me to
    believe something is wrong in my OS)

    Any recommendation is appreciated. Thanks.

    , Jan 21, 2008

  2. meerkat Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Hello.Hello. I have been having a strange problem in my Dell
    > Vostro1000 running XP Home SP2 with all the latest patches.
    >
    > I noticed that whenever I type something every 5 seconds or so,
    > there's this half second lag and the text has to catch back up with
    > me. This happens in all programs (word, firefox, anything with text)
    >
    > Music plays fine and there's no skipping in that. HD Video also runs
    > fine. No hiccups at all. I ran two different memory tests that are on
    > Ultimate Boot CD and they both came out with zero errors.
    >
    > I have:
    > Defragmented
    > Checked all BIOS settings
    > Changed power settings
    > Checked for corrupted memory
    > Scanned for spyware/malware
    > Ran HijackThis and found nothing
    > Tested in knoppix for text error and found no problem (leading me to
    > believe something is wrong in my OS)

    ctrl/alt/delete, to bring up Task Manager.
    Slide it to one side of your screen.
    Then open the program you`re gonna type into.
    Slide that next to TM.

    Type some letters fast, and see what happens in the TM
    window. (Process pane !).

    meerkat, Jan 21, 2008

  3. wrote:

    > I noticed that whenever I type something every 5 seconds or so,
    > there's this half second lag and the text has to catch back up with
    > me. This happens in all programs (word, firefox, anything with text)

    Someone installed a keylogger? <food-for-thought>

    --
    -bts
    -Friends don't let friends drive Vista

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jan 21, 2008
  4. Guest

    On Jan 21, 5:25 pm, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
    <> wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > I noticed that whenever I type something every 5 seconds or so,
    > > there's this half second lag and the text has to catch back up with
    > > me. This happens in all programs (word, firefox, anything with text)

    > Someone installed a keylogger? <food-for-thought>
    >
    > --
    > -bts
    > -Friends don't let friends drive Vista

    This is a personal laptop with various password protection.. It has
    also been thoroughly scanned.

    , Jan 22, 2008
  5. wrote:

    > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote:
    >> wrote:
    >>> I noticed that whenever I type something every 5 seconds or so,
    >>> there's this half second lag and the text has to catch back up with
    >>> me. This happens in all programs (word, firefox, anything with
    >>> text)

    >> Someone installed a keylogger? <food-for-thought>

    > This is a personal laptop with various password protection.. It has
    > also been thoroughly scanned.

    Scanned with what? There are ways to get infected, even with passwords.
    Why not give this a try?

    http://filehippo.com/download_rootkit_revealer/

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jan 22, 2008
  6. Guest

    On Jan 21, 8:31 pm, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
    <> wrote:
    > wrote:

    > >> Someone installed a keylogger? <food-for-thought>

    > > This is a personal laptop with various password protection.. It has
    > > also been thoroughly scanned.

    > Scanned with what? There are ways to get infected, even with passwords.
    > Why not give this a try?
    >
    > http://filehippo.com/download_rootkit_revealer/
    >
    > --
    > -bts
    > -Friends don't let friends drive Vista

    Scanned with various antivirus (NOD32) and antispyware (adaware,
    spybot) programs. The registry scanner didn't reveal anything
    malicious.

    I just found out something interesting...When I booted my laptop this
    time, it's not doing the text hiccup. I've been testing it while it's
    on battery and not plugged into an AC outlet, and now it is. How could
    the AC possibly do that? I will test it on battery in a little while
    to see if it's doing the hiccup.

    , Jan 22, 2008
  7. chuckcar Guest

    wrote in

    > Hello.Hello. I have been having a strange problem in my Dell
    > Vostro1000 running XP Home SP2 with all the latest patches.
    >
    > I noticed that whenever I type something every 5 seconds or so,
    > there's this half second lag and the text has to catch back up with
    > me. This happens in all programs (word, firefox, anything with text)
    >
    > Music plays fine and there's no skipping in that. HD Video also runs
    > fine. No hiccups at all. I ran two different memory tests that are on
    > Ultimate Boot CD and they both came out with zero errors.
    >
    > I have:
    > Defragmented
    > Checked all BIOS settings
    > Changed power settings
    > Checked for corrupted memory
    > Scanned for spyware/malware
    > Ran HijackThis and found nothing
    > Tested in knoppix for text error and found no problem (leading me to
    > believe something is wrong in my OS)
    >
    > Any recommendation is appreciated. Thanks.

    Have you cleaned out startup? try running msconfig and unchecking
    startup to see if that helps.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Jan 22, 2008
  8. nobody > Guest

    wrote:
    > On Jan 21, 8:31 pm, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
    > <> wrote:
    >> wrote:
    >>> This is a personal laptop with various password protection.. It has
    >>> also been thoroughly scanned.

    >> Scanned with what? There are ways to get infected, even with passwords.
    >> Why not give this a try?
    >>
    >> http://filehippo.com/download_rootkit_revealer/
    >>
    >> --
    >> -bts
    >> -Friends don't let friends drive Vista

    > Scanned with various antivirus (NOD32) and antispyware (adaware,
    > spybot) programs. The registry scanner didn't reveal anything
    > malicious.
    >
    > I just found out something interesting...When I booted my laptop this
    > time, it's not doing the text hiccup. I've been testing it while it's
    > on battery and not plugged into an AC outlet, and now it is. How could
    > the AC possibly do that? I will test it on battery in a little while
    > to see if it's doing the hiccup.

    Slim but possible.. your AC power supply brick could be bad and
    producing a high ripple (AC voltage superimposed on the normal DC
    voltage output).

    I haven't seen this affect the keyboard before but I've seen it cause
    disk read errors, freezes, strange video, no boot, etc.

    nobody >, Jan 23, 2008