    Can a laptop have an external full-sized keyboard and an external LCD
    display?

    Thanks
    darkknight, Jun 25, 2007

  2. darkknight

    Ross Guest

    On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 19:28:06 +1200, darkknight
    <> wrote:

    >What are the disadvantages of a laptop computer instead of a "desktop"
    >PC.
    >
    >Can a laptop run 12 hours a day 7 days a week without overheating, or
    >even 24 hours a day, like a desktop.
    >
    >Can a laptop have an external full-sized keyboard and an external LCD
    >display?
    >
    >Thanks

    Laptops are more expensive to buy.
    Laptops are more expensive to service.
    Laptops have a shorter "life expectancy".
    Yes they can run 24/7 as long as they don't have the problem batteries
    of last year.
    Yes they can have external keyboards and monitors.
    Ross, Jun 25, 2007

  3. darkknight

    Richard Guest

    Ross wrote:
    > On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 19:28:06 +1200, darkknight
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> What are the disadvantages of a laptop computer instead of a "desktop"
    >> PC.
    >>
    >> Can a laptop run 12 hours a day 7 days a week without overheating, or
    >> even 24 hours a day, like a desktop.
    >>
    >> Can a laptop have an external full-sized keyboard and an external LCD
    >> display?
    >>
    >> Thanks

    > Laptops are more expensive to buy.
    > Laptops are more expensive to service.
    > Laptops have a shorter "life expectancy".
    > Yes they can run 24/7 as long as they don't have the problem batteries
    > of last year.
    > Yes they can have external keyboards and monitors.

    In my and many other peoples experiences, laptops lack the needed heat
    sinking and cooling to be able to sustain tasks like high res renders
    and other real work. First render on a laptop is always faster then ones
    after it, whereas on a similar core2 duo desktop they all were about the
    same speed.
    Richard, Jun 25, 2007
  4. darkknight

    Allistar Guest

    darkknight wrote:

    > What are the disadvantages of a laptop computer instead of a "desktop"
    > PC.

    Desktops provide much better performance per dollar.
    They are typically quieter.
    They are easier to expand/upgrade.

    > Can a laptop run 12 hours a day 7 days a week without overheating, or
    > even 24 hours a day, like a desktop.
    >
    > Can a laptop have an external full-sized keyboard and an external LCD
    > display?

    Yes. But it gets tricky when you want to run, say, 3 monitors off one.

    > Thanks

    Allistar.
    Allistar, Jun 25, 2007