    WHOLE purpose of a 64-bit system is to RUN the 64-bit OS which has been
    available for a long while now.

    Thanks

    =?Utf-8?B?SHVnbw==?=, May 30, 2005

  2. Alienware sells x64 laptops but of course they're expensive (highway
    robbery expensive to be exact)

    Rafael Rivera
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Rafael Rivera [Extended64.com], May 30, 2005

  3. =?Utf-8?B?SHVnbw==?=

    R Sanders Guest

    My guess is the lack of drivers to support all of the features found in a
    laptop, specifically the video driver. (I know that you can download video
    drivers directly from ATI and, I assume, NVIDIA) The bottom line is that
    the notebook vendors would have to add additional driver testing to their
    normal work.

    I have a sager AMD 64bit and have been able to get the majority of
    components working under XP 64 bit. The biggest problem for me was the
    built-in wireless card and the PCMCIA cardbus.

    Also, (please correct me if I am wrong) XP 64 bit does not and will not
    support the Inferred Port found on many laptops.

    Bob Sanders

    "Rafael Rivera [Extended64.com]" <rafael*at*extended64*dot*com> wrote in
    message news:...

    R Sanders, May 30, 2005
  4. No doubt you are correct about the drivers and stuff.

    My annoyance is that is really no excuse, both AMD and Microsoft have been
    working on this for years and vendors have had plenty of time.

    I would love to know why anybody would buy a 64-bit laptop at this stage
    when getting XP-64 to run is a "specialized" skill.

    Having a 64-bit laptop is surely nothing more than some kind of "status"
    symbol at this stage, a "glorified" Pentium to all intents and purposes.

    Only the technically savvy will be willing to attempt to install and
    configure XP-64 themselves and the vendor is unlikely to offer an "upgrade"
    service (given the risks).

    I guess that if I want a 64-bit laptop (which I do, to demo specialized
    64-bit products which I develop) then I will just have to wait.

    Although I am capable of installing and resolving most issues, however
    "manual" and fiddly that may get, it could turn out that some small issue
    simply prevents me from doing what I want/need.

    AMD and Microsoft really should do something about this and prod these
    vendors in some way.

    What happened the US and it's technological, innovation and leadership? I
    bet Taiwan end up shipping the first systems with XP-64 installed and
    supported.!!!

    =?Utf-8?B?SHVnbw==?=, May 30, 2005
  5. Acer has 64 bit notebooks:
    http://reviews.zdnet.co.uk/hardware/ notebooks/0,39023985,39156022,00.htm

    --

    Andre
    http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

    Andre Da Costa, May 30, 2005
  6. yes, including the Ferrari models. However, none of them are currently
    shipping with Windows XP Professional x64 Edition on them. Grrrrr.

    --
    Charlie.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 30, 2005
  7. I would say its the same case for most desktops, although some are providing
    exchange programs on the side I would think.

    Andre Da Costa, May 30, 2005