Laptop not seeing BT Voyager 2100

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?U3R1YXJ0IEJydWNl?=, Nov 26, 2004.

  1. Hello- I'm hoping somebody here can help out.

    I've just set up a new BT Voyager 2100 wireless ADSL router. I've fitted a
    PCI adaptor card to my desktop PC, which can now see the router and connect
    to the Internet without any problems- so the router signal and broadband
    connection is fine.

    I also purchased a Packard Bell laptop, which came "wi-fi enabled". However
    no matter how close I put it to the router- I can sit it right next to the
    router- or how many times I refresh, the laptop still shows NOTHING in the
    "View Available Wireless Networks" list. It has an Agere-manufactured Wi-fi
    card.

    What can I do next, to get the laptop to see the router?

    Thanks for any advice
     
    =?Utf-8?B?U3R1YXJ0IEJydWNl?=, Nov 26, 2004
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. =?Utf-8?B?U3R1YXJ0IEJydWNl?=

    Malke Guest

    Stuart Bruce wrote:

    > Hello- I'm hoping somebody here can help out.
    >
    > I've just set up a new BT Voyager 2100 wireless ADSL router. I've
    > fitted a PCI adaptor card to my desktop PC, which can now see the
    > router and connect to the Internet without any problems- so the router
    > signal and broadband connection is fine.
    >
    > I also purchased a Packard Bell laptop, which came "wi-fi enabled".
    > However no matter how close I put it to the router- I can sit it right
    > next to the router- or how many times I refresh, the laptop still
    > shows NOTHING in the "View Available Wireless Networks" list. It has
    > an Agere-manufactured Wi-fi card.
    >
    > What can I do next, to get the laptop to see the router?
    >
    > Thanks for any advice


    Look at the laptop carefully. Many new laptops come with a button that
    you actually have to turn on to enable wifi. Make sure you've turned
    that button on.

    Malke
    --
    MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    "Don't Panic!"
     
    Malke, Nov 26, 2004
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. "Malke" wrote:
    > Look at the laptop carefully. Many new laptops come with a button that
    > you actually have to turn on to enable wifi. Make sure you've turned
    > that button on.


    Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately if you mean a physical button
    somewhere on the laptop's case, there isn't one, and there's nothing in the
    user guide about there being one, so I can't press one, and I'm still stuck
    and looking for answers.

    Cheers

    Stuart.
     
    =?Utf-8?B?U3R1YXJ0IEJydWNl?=, Nov 26, 2004
    #3
  4. "Malke" wrote:
    > Look at the laptop carefully. Many new laptops come with a button that
    > you actually have to turn on to enable wifi. Make sure you've turned
    > that button on.


    I'm worried now that I might be being really really stupid... just because I
    can't see a switch, and just because the manual doesn't mention one, doesn't
    mean there isn't one!

    I'm using a Packard Bell G1340 notebook. I've Googled but found no
    information about whether it does or doesn't have a hardware switch. Can
    anyone recommend a site that would tell me one way or the other?!

    If it doesn't then the problem obviously lies somewhere else...

    Stuart.
     
    =?Utf-8?B?U3R1YXJ0IEJydWNl?=, Nov 26, 2004
    #4
  5. =?Utf-8?B?U3R1YXJ0IEJydWNl?=

    Malke Guest

    Stuart Bruce wrote:

    > "Malke" wrote:
    >> Look at the laptop carefully. Many new laptops come with a button
    >> that you actually have to turn on to enable wifi. Make sure you've
    >> turned that button on.

    >
    > I'm worried now that I might be being really really stupid... just
    > because I can't see a switch, and just because the manual doesn't
    > mention one, doesn't mean there isn't one!
    >
    > I'm using a Packard Bell G1340 notebook. I've Googled but found no
    > information about whether it does or doesn't have a hardware switch.
    > Can anyone recommend a site that would tell me one way or the other?!
    >
    > If it doesn't then the problem obviously lies somewhere else...
    >
    > Stuart.


    Look in the manual for your laptop. Not all laptops have a button. I
    only mentioned it because it is a common error. You didn't say what
    operating system you have, but if you are using XP make sure the
    Wireless Zero Configuration service is running. Look under Services in
    the Administrative Tools applet in Control Panel.

    Malke
    --
    MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    "Don't Panic!"
     
    Malke, Nov 26, 2004
    #5
  6. "Malke" wrote:
    > Look in the manual for your laptop. Not all laptops have a button. I
    > only mentioned it because it is a common error. You didn't say what
    > operating system you have, but if you are using XP make sure the
    > Wireless Zero Configuration service is running. Look under Services in
    > the Administrative Tools applet in Control Panel.


    Hello- thanks once again for the suggestions, it really is appreciated, but
    unfortunately at the moment still no joy.

    There is no mention in the manual about there being a hardware button- but
    then the manual is really a short beginner's guide to what a computer is and
    what a mouse looks like, and not that useful to somebody who's already used a
    computer- most of the buttons that *are* visible on the laptop aren't
    actually mentioned in the manual...

    I'm using Windows XP- updating to Service Pack 2 didn't make any difference-
    and I've just checked and Wireless Zero Configuration service is running. I
    read in another thread that maybe I should turn it off, if it's automatically
    configuring to the wrong settings?!

    I have plugged an Ethernet cable from the laptop to the router, which worked
    straight away with no messing and is how I'm now accessing the Internet. So
    at least I am online on the laptop, albeit not as wirelessly as I would like,
    to the sum of 1 wire...

    So, still no total and complete joy. Thanks again

    Stuart.
     
    =?Utf-8?B?U3R1YXJ0IEJydWNl?=, Nov 27, 2004
    #6
  7. =?Utf-8?B?U3R1YXJ0IEJydWNl?=

    Malke Guest

    Stuart Bruce wrote:


    > Hello- thanks once again for the suggestions, it really is
    > appreciated, but unfortunately at the moment still no joy.
    >
    > There is no mention in the manual about there being a hardware button-
    > but then the manual is really a short beginner's guide to what a
    > computer is and what a mouse looks like, and not that useful to
    > somebody who's already used a computer- most of the buttons that *are*
    > visible on the laptop aren't actually mentioned in the manual...
    >
    > I'm using Windows XP- updating to Service Pack 2 didn't make any
    > difference- and I've just checked and Wireless Zero Configuration
    > service is running. I read in another thread that maybe I should turn
    > it off, if it's automatically configuring to the wrong settings?!
    >
    > I have plugged an Ethernet cable from the laptop to the router, which
    > worked straight away with no messing and is how I'm now accessing the
    > Internet. So at least I am online on the laptop, albeit not as
    > wirelessly as I would like, to the sum of 1 wire...
    >
    > So, still no total and complete joy. Thanks again


    Hi, Stuart. Troubleshooting wireless problems in a newsgroup are tricky.
    Because you can access the router from the desktop, you know it's
    working wired. But you don't know if the wireless part is working.

    1. Have a friend with a laptop with known-working wireless come over and
    see if he can connect to your router wirelessly.

    2. If he can't either, call the router tech support. I had a client
    recently who was in a similar situation where he could connect wired
    but not wirelessly. He told me he called the router tech support who
    fixed it. Unfortunately, he couldn't tell me what they did after being
    on the phone with them for quite a while.

    3. On the other hand, if your friend can connect with his laptop, then
    you know you either don't have your laptop set up correctly or the
    wireless component isn't working. At that point it will be worth it to
    ask a knowledgeable friend or take it to a good local professional (not
    a BestBuy or CompUSA type of store) for help.

    Good luck,

    Malke
    --
    MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    "Don't Panic!"
     
    Malke, Nov 27, 2004
    #7
  8. Thanks once again for the personalised advice & attention. Having had a
    quick look at your (very funny) web site, I can say that if I lived anywhere
    near Fresno I'd happily be paying Malke's call-out fee.

    The desktop PC is attaching to the router wirelessly, not wired, so I know
    that there is wireless transmission. The laptop connects to the Internet
    without problems when I plug an Ethernet cable between it and the router. So
    that's basically narrowed it down so the problem must be that the wi-fi card
    in the laptop is incompatible/badly configured/broken/off/just trying to wind
    me up. So when I get the chance I'm going to try taking the laptop into the
    vicinity of a different wi-fi router, to see whether it just can't pick up my
    home router, or whether it can't pick up any router at all.

    Sadly it looks likely that I'll have to go through the whole process of
    getting this brand new laptop returned or repaired. (sigh)

    WHY CAN'T LIFE BE SIMPLE?!

    Stuart.


    "Malke" wrote:
    > Hi, Stuart. Troubleshooting wireless problems in a newsgroup are tricky.
    > Because you can access the router from the desktop, you know it's
    > working wired. But you don't know if the wireless part is working.
    >
    > 1. Have a friend with a laptop with known-working wireless come over and
    > see if he can connect to your router wirelessly.
    >
    > 2. If he can't either, call the router tech support. I had a client
    > recently who was in a similar situation where he could connect wired
    > but not wirelessly. He told me he called the router tech support who
    > fixed it. Unfortunately, he couldn't tell me what they did after being
    > on the phone with them for quite a while.
    >
    > 3. On the other hand, if your friend can connect with his laptop, then
    > you know you either don't have your laptop set up correctly or the
    > wireless component isn't working. At that point it will be worth it to
    > ask a knowledgeable friend or take it to a good local professional (not
    > a BestBuy or CompUSA type of store) for help.
     
    =?Utf-8?B?U3R1YXJ0IEJydWNl?=, Nov 27, 2004
    #8
  9. =?Utf-8?B?U3R1YXJ0IEJydWNl?=

    Malke Guest

    Stuart Bruce wrote:

    >
    > Thanks once again for the personalised advice & attention. Having had
    > a quick look at your (very funny) web site, I can say that if I lived
    > anywhere near Fresno I'd happily be paying Malke's call-out fee.
    >
    > The desktop PC is attaching to the router wirelessly, not wired, so I
    > know that there is wireless transmission. The laptop connects to the
    > Internet without problems when I plug an Ethernet cable between it and
    > the router. So that's basically narrowed it down so the problem must
    > be that the wi-fi card in the laptop is incompatible/badly
    > configured/broken/off/just trying to wind me up. So when I get the
    > chance I'm going to try taking the laptop into the vicinity of a
    > different wi-fi router, to see whether it just can't pick up my home
    > router, or whether it can't pick up any router at all.
    >
    > Sadly it looks likely that I'll have to go through the whole process
    > of getting this brand new laptop returned or repaired. (sigh)
    >
    > WHY CAN'T LIFE BE SIMPLE?!


    Thank you for the very sweet post. You've done half of the
    troubleshooting already since you know the wireless works with the
    desktop. That's exactly what you need to do - take the laptop over to a
    friend's and see if it can connect to *any* wireless network. Then, if
    the friend has a wireless pc card see if that will work with your
    laptop. Here are a few other things to try:

    1. If the laptop is using an OEM's wireless manager, try setting "let
    Windows manage my wireless" and see if that helps.

    2. If the above is true and you like PB's wireless manager, go to their
    website and see if there are any updates to the software. Of course it
    should have worked out of the box, but it can't hurt to look.

    3. Uninstall the built-in wireless hardware and reinstall it.

    4. If you are using a firewall, make sure "File and Printer Sharing" are
    enabled in case the firewall is blocking the lan.

    Otherwise, do your "take the laptop to a friend's test". Why can't
    things be simple? Because. ;-)

    Let me know what the upshot is of all of this because I do care.

    Malke
    --
    MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    "Don't Panic!"
     
    Malke, Nov 27, 2004
    #9
  10. My face is red with embarrassment... the problem is now fixed, and I'm
    typing this wirelessly from the laptop now.

    I went round to a friend's house this morning and at first the laptop didn't
    detect his network. Then he looked at the laptop, pressed the button that I
    had been staring straight at, and suddenly there it was in action,
    recognising the router. After a bit of fiddling with DNS settings not being
    right, up poppled Google, and I was Internet-connected. I've now gotten home,
    and it's still working, now on my own network.

    I'm going to go and hide under a rock now!

    Thanks once again for all the advice, and I'm really sorry that I've been
    wasting your time asking for complicated solutions when the answer was right
    under my nose.

    Stuart.
     
    =?Utf-8?B?U3R1YXJ0IEJydWNl?=, Nov 29, 2004
    #10
  11. =?Utf-8?B?U3R1YXJ0IEJydWNl?=

    Malke Guest

    Stuart Bruce wrote:

    >
    > My face is red with embarrassment... the problem is now fixed, and I'm
    > typing this wirelessly from the laptop now.
    >
    > I went round to a friend's house this morning and at first the laptop
    > didn't detect his network. Then he looked at the laptop, pressed the
    > button that I had been staring straight at, and suddenly there it was
    > in action, recognising the router. After a bit of fiddling with DNS
    > settings not being right, up poppled Google, and I was
    > Internet-connected. I've now gotten home, and it's still working, now
    > on my own network.
    >
    > I'm going to go and hide under a rock now!
    >
    > Thanks once again for all the advice, and I'm really sorry that I've
    > been wasting your time asking for complicated solutions when the
    > answer was right under my nose.
    >
    > Stuart.


    Do not feel you have been wasting your time. You have not. And I want
    you to know that I have made the same mistake, and I'm a professional.
    I had a client's new laptop and could not get the wireless to work. A
    tech friend of mine told me that most recent laptops have a button or
    switch to turn on the wireless, and sure enough, that was the answer. I
    don't know why the OEM's think being able to turn the wireless on and
    off is a Good Thing, but there you have it.

    I appreciate your bravery in coming back and saying what the problem
    was. It reminds me to include the advice to look for an on-off
    switch/button on new laptops, which I neglected to suggest. So thank
    *you* for posting back.

    And do enjoy your wireless!

    Best regards,

    Malke
    --
    MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    "Don't Panic!"
     
    Malke, Nov 29, 2004
    #11
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. =?Utf-8?B?RXN0aGVy?=

    BT Voyager 2100 & Outlook Express

    =?Utf-8?B?RXN0aGVy?=, Nov 17, 2004, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    540
    =?Utf-8?B?RXN0aGVy?=
    Nov 17, 2004
  2. =?Utf-8?B?VG9t?=

    BT Voyager 2100 problems

    =?Utf-8?B?VG9t?=, Mar 25, 2005, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    3,376
  3. itsmattyboy

    BT Voyager 2100 Detection Problems

    itsmattyboy, Jun 8, 2005, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    703
    itsmattyboy
    Jun 8, 2005
  4. bigt

    BT Voyager 2100 and Network Setup

    bigt, Aug 4, 2005, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    5,190
  5. Simon Willcox

    BT Voyager 2100 needs repeater

    Simon Willcox, Oct 9, 2005, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    885
    Simon Willcox
    Oct 9, 2005
Loading...

Share This Page