    When I'm in a quite place this noise is horrible.
    Please, any idea of how can I solve this problem without removing Windows
    Vista and changing it to Windows XP????

    Saulo, Apr 13, 2008

  2. Perhaps it is a fan vibrating in its housing.

    Colin Barnhorst, Apr 13, 2008

  3. Try downloading a program called "Speedfan" and manually change your CPU fan
    speeds.

    --

    Dustin Harper

    Dustin Harper, Apr 13, 2008
  4. Saulo

    Carlos Guest

    And/or the usual first week of hard disk trashing due to heavy indexing of
    files which, additionally, might overheat the laptop and make the fan rotate
    excessively.
    :)
    Carlos

    Carlos, Apr 13, 2008
  5. Saulo

    Saulo Guest

    Clearly it's not fan noise. It seems to be electrical noise (very thin and
    high sound - not mechanical).
    I can hear when the fan is working.
    And if it was the fan, I would have the same noise when I start Win Vista in
    secure mode.

    I did some experiences trying to disable some drivers and I got some good
    results with USB drivers, but it was not so effective. And I need USB drivers.
    I didn't see any update or "downgrade" of USB drivers in Acer's www.

    Saulo, Apr 13, 2008
  6. This sounds as though your motherboard is being sensitive to frequencies,
    has the machine ever been repaired, or tampered with? The components are
    crammed up extremely tight and if anything touches the casing this can have
    unexpected results.

    There are a number of Windows Services that are not started in 'Safe Mode',
    you could try and stop services one by one and see if it helps - note, some
    services you must keep running, it is potentially difficult to re-enable a
    service that you stop for the wrong reason. It is mostly safe to stop it and
    reset it to automatic, which means it will restart when you re-boot. If the
    noise stops in safe mode, and if it is a service that is causing it, then it
    is a safe service to disable since safe mode wouldn't stop it otherwise.
    Even so, the service might still be required to run on your installation
    when it is booted normal.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Apr 13, 2008
  7. Saulo

    Carlos Guest

    Saulo,
    - Is the noise coming from the speakers?
    - Have you turned the volume all the way down?
    This would explain why you don't have it in Safe Mode. There are no working
    sound devices in Safe Mode.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Apr 14, 2008
  8. Saulo

    Saulo Guest

    I think it makes sence (mb sensitive to frequencies), but it hasn't ever been
    repaired, tampered with or had any kind of hit.
    This is my second laptop and I had the same concern in the other (but other
    model from Acer).
    What is very strange is that it doesn't happen with Win XP. So I can
    conclude that there's nothing wrong with the laptop. Maybe some kind of
    compatibility among Acer/WinVista/Drivers...

    And it's not also from the soundspeakers.
    I'll try to disable and enable some services. I tried some but I didn't get
    good resuls till this moment.

    Saulo, Apr 14, 2008
  9. First, it may not be so strange that you have this problem now and not with
    XP - a 64bit OS will put more stress to the components. Few issues have
    popped up more frequently here over the last couple of years than errors
    exclusive to a 64bit system. You will need a better PSU and better memory
    than the minimal specs that will safely run XP. And a multi-layered
    motherboard that is secured by all it's fix-points! Your trouble may be that
    most consumer quality notebooks are shipped off with multi-layered
    motherboards of fewer layers than would be optimal?

    Personally, I prefer building my own machines from components I know to be
    good and with good driver support, but my laptop I would hesitate to even
    open and look inside. It is too specialized, almost everything is on-board
    chips and I couldn't fix anything anyway.

    Your problem is if you bought this machine with XP pre-installed and without
    Vista being mentioned anywhere in the advertising or the specification -
    then the people who sold it can possibly maintain that it isn't compatible
    and not covered by the warranty and you will be stuck with your XP. If you
    still really need a 64bit OS, you could install XP x64 and if that has the
    same issue you could send it in and maintain that you have a reproducible
    error.

    I believe sending it back is what you should try and do anyhow, if they know
    you as a good customer, you should have little trouble - if it's a
    post-order? - Hmmm?

    If the machine is relatively new, I would start by e-mailing their tech
    support, and ask them a nice, friendly question about this in a gentle way,
    they have probably heard of this from other people allready - to me, this is
    a new one!

    If you should happen to find a Service that seem to be triggering the
    behavior, you may find that it doesn't help you very much - it my help your
    tech-support, but I am positive that you cannot use that knowledge as a fix.
    To you, it's not much more than an interesting observation.

    - good luck -

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Apr 14, 2008