    any truth in this?

    all reccomendations and advice greatly recieved

    Tom

    Tombo, Feb 12, 2004

  2. Tombo <> wrote:
    > I have heard that the usb serial devices cannot send a break
    > so i may be in trouble if i need to recover a password. Is there
    > any truth in this?

    My Notebook has no serial port either. So I bought an UC-232A USB
    Serial adapter. All seems to work like through a normal serial port,
    I can even send break signals through it.

    Cheers, Daniel

    Daniel Eyholzer, Feb 12, 2004

  3. In article <402ac9ec$0$34265$>,
    Tombo <> wrote:
    >my old ibm laptop has finaly gone back to its maker so i have
    >a temporary compaq repacment. Its nice enough but it does not
    >have a serial port! what gives? god know whay they still have
    >parallel ports.
    >
    >So my dilema is what to replace it with do i pick out the best
    >laptop and get a usb to serial thingy or are there still leading
    >edge machines with serial ports i like the idea of integrated
    >wirles and bluetooth.
    >
    >I have heard that the usb serial devices cannot send a break
    >so i may be in trouble if i need to recover a password. Is there
    >any truth in this?
    >
    >all reccomendations and advice greatly recieved
    >
    >Tom

    Microsoft has decreed that serial ports are legacy hardware and must be
    abandoned...so the lemmings follow. Of course they said the same thing
    about the parallel port, and that disappeared for awhile also, but
    enough people are still using their old printers that the parallel port
    has been making a comeback. But the normal consumer/business user has no
    need for a serial port (now that the modem is built in), so there has
    not been the same pressure.

    While slightly less convenient (one more thing to carry), a USB to
    serial dongle can work just fine. You do have to be selective, as not
    all capable of generating a break, not all are compatible with any OS
    other than Windows (or even all versions of Windows), and some are
    bigger/heavier than others. But good ones do exist. I've been living
    with one for two years now (IBM X23 running Linux, generic dongle based
    on the FTDI chip).

    Good luck and have fun!
    http://www.networkingunlimited.com

    Vincent C Jones, Feb 12, 2004
  4. Tombo

    Hansang Bae Guest

    In article <402ac9ec$0$34265$>,
    says...
    [snip]
    > I have heard that the usb serial devices cannot send a break
    > so i may be in trouble if i need to recover a password. Is there
    > any truth in this?

    Some don't. www.iogear.com search for GUC232A

    Works just fine.

    --

    hsb

    Hansang Bae, Feb 12, 2004
  5. On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 04:46:45 GMT, Hansang Bae <> wrote:

    >In article <402ac9ec$0$34265$>,
    > says...
    >[snip]
    >> I have heard that the usb serial devices cannot send a break
    >> so i may be in trouble if i need to recover a password. Is there
    >> any truth in this?

    >Some don't. www.iogear.com search for GUC232A
    >
    >Works just fine.

    I'll second that one. Works for me too.

    Mike Patterson
    Please remove the spamtrap to email me.

    Mike Patterson, Feb 12, 2004
  6. Tombo

    Scooby Guest

    "Hansang Bae" <> wrote in message
    > In article <402ac9ec$0$34265$>,
    > says...
    > [snip]
    > > I have heard that the usb serial devices cannot send a break
    > > so i may be in trouble if i need to recover a password. Is there
    > > any truth in this?

    > Some don't. www.iogear.com search for GUC232A
    >
    > Works just fine.
    >

    > --
    >
    > hsb

    An interesting note about this device... I recently bought one to use on my
    XP laptop. When I put it in, XP automatically installed the drivers -
    didn't need the cd. Then, this device seemed to always hold one char in the
    buffer - so my typing was one char off. I went back and installed the
    drivers from the disk and it worked fine. Also, I tried downloading drivers
    from their site. Although the site lists a recent date for the drivers,
    what you really get is older ones. So, my lesson here is to be sure to hold
    on to the cd. It works great once you get the drivers in from the disk.

    Scooby, Feb 12, 2004