    printer.

    Thanks,

    ColTom2

    ColTom2, Aug 16, 2009

  2. ColTom2

    chas2209 Guest

    "ColTom2" <> wrote in message
    news:%...
    > Hi:
    >
    > I have a friend who has acquired an additional laptop and now has two
    > with
    > Comcast Cab\le for his ISP.
    >
    > What is the best and cheapest way that he can network these two laptops
    > have printer sharing? He does not need File Sharing capability. but only
    > printer.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > ColTom2

    Hi
    If both computers have network capabilities a simple rj45 crossover cable is
    the cheapest.

    chas2209

    chas2209, Aug 16, 2009

  3. ColTom2

    Pavel A. Guest

    "ColTom2" <> wrote in message
    > Hi:
    >
    > I have a friend who has acquired an additional laptop and now has two
    > with
    > Comcast Cab\le for his ISP.
    >
    > What is the best and cheapest way that he can network these two laptops
    > have printer sharing? He does not need File Sharing capability. but only
    > printer.

    Bring the laptop to the printer, plug the cable in, print.
    A very simple setup, very cheap.

    --pa

    Pavel A., Aug 16, 2009
  4. ColTom2

    ColTom2 Guest

    Hi:

    Could you please explain further. Both laptops have Ethernet ports. If you
    connected a crossover cable to each port then how or what would you use to
    connect to the cable modem?

    Thanks,

    ColTom2

    "chas2209" <> wrote in message

    ColTom2, Aug 16, 2009
  5. ColTom2

    Lem Guest

    ColTom2 wrote:
    > Hi:
    >
    > I have a friend who has acquired an additional laptop and now has two with
    > Comcast Cab\le for his ISP.
    >
    > What is the best and cheapest way that he can network these two laptops to
    > have printer sharing? He does not need File Sharing capability. but only
    > printer.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > ColTom2

    Pavel's solution, although not networked, is the cheapest and simplest.

    IMO, the best solution would be to buy an inexpensive router. You can
    get a wired or wireless router for as little as $30. If you don't want
    the wireless capability now, you can just turn off that feature in the
    router's configuration utility. I don't have any particular favorites,
    but this D-Link WBR-2310 looks like a pretty good deal; read the reviews:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...etwork - Wireless Routers-_-D-Link-_-33127073

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP

    Apollo 11 - 40 years ago:

    Lem, Aug 16, 2009
  6. ColTom2

    Paul Randall Guest

    When you share files between computers, its easy to understand that both
    computers have to be powered on and running so that the files can be shared.
    Cheapest: shared printer would be connected to one or the other of the two
    computers which could share the printer just as it could share files. More
    expensive: buy a printer server unit that plugs into the router and connect
    the printer to it; now either computer can print whether or not the other
    computer is running.

    -Paul Randall

    Paul Randall, Aug 16, 2009
  7. ColTom2

    ColTom2 Guest

    Hi:

    One of the laptops is XP Home Edition SP3 and the other is Vista SP2. I
    assume the referenced D-Link Router would work in conjunction with both?

    Thanks,

    ColTom2

    ColTom2, Aug 17, 2009
  8. ColTom2

    Lem Guest

    ColTom2 wrote:
    > Hi:
    >
    > One of the laptops is XP Home Edition SP3 and the other is Vista SP2. I
    > assume the referenced D-Link Router would work in conjunction with both?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > ColTom2
    >

    > "Lem" <lemp40@unknownhost> wrote in message
    > ColTom2 wrote:
    >> Hi:
    >>
    >> I have a friend who has acquired an additional laptop and now has two
    >> with
    >> Comcast Cab\le for his ISP.
    >>
    >> What is the best and cheapest way that he can network these two laptops
    >> have printer sharing? He does not need File Sharing capability. but only
    >> printer.
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> ColTom2
    >>

    > Pavel's solution, although not networked, is the cheapest and simplest.
    >
    > IMO, the best solution would be to buy an inexpensive router. You can
    > get a wired or wireless router for as little as $30. If you don't want
    > the wireless capability now, you can just turn off that feature in the
    > router's configuration utility. I don't have any particular favorites,
    > but this D-Link WBR-2310 looks like a pretty good deal; read the reviews:
    > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...etwork - Wireless Routers-_-D-Link-_-33127073

    Yes, and picking up on Paul Randall's comment, if you get a network
    ready printer, you can connect it to the router and either computer can
    use the printer without requiring that the other printer be on.

    Actually, if you get a wireless network capable printer, then you can
    share it between the laptops (assuming that both are themselves wireless
    capable) without the need for a router.

    Sharing printer with an ad hoc wireless network:
    XP: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/setup/adhoc.mspx
    Vista:
    http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/293c504f-b944-4d5d-835c-f080129bd5dc1033.mspx

    Note that XP only supports the now easily crackable WEP security for ad
    hoc networks, but as long as you don't leave your computer running while
    unattended, you should be OK.
    If you elect to use an ad hoc network, you can ignore the stuff about
    Internet Connection Sharing (unless, of course, you want to use this).
    But all things considered, if you want to share an Internet connection
    as well as a printer, then get a router.

    Final note: Windows networking doesn't distinguish between sharing files
    and sharing printers. The feature is called "File and Printer Sharing."
    Of course, file sharing is still controlled by setting appropriate NTFS
    permissions. See Malke's comments below.

    General networking setup advice from MVP Malke:

    <QUOTE>
    Here are general network troubleshooting steps. Not everything may be
    applicable to your situation, so just take the bits that are. It may
    look daunting, but if you follow the steps at the links and suggestions
    below systematically and calmly, you will have no difficulty in setting
    up your sharing.

    Sharing in Vista. Includes details about sharing printers as well as
    files and folders:

    For XP, start by running the Network Setup Wizard on all machines (see
    caveat in Item A below).

    Problems sharing files between computers on a network are generally
    caused by 1) a misconfigured firewall or overlooked firewall (including
    a stateful firewall in a VPN); or 2) inadvertently running two firewalls
    such as the built-in Windows Firewall and a third-party firewall; and/or
    3) not having identical user accounts and passwords on all Workgroup
    machines; 4) trying to create shares where the operating system does not
    permit it.

    A. Configure firewalls on all machines to allow the Local Area Network
    (LAN) traffic as trusted. With Windows Firewall, this means allowing
    File/Printer Sharing on the Exceptions tab. Normally running the Network
    Setup Wizard on XP will take care of this for those machines.The only
    "gotcha" is that this will turn on the XPSP2 Windows Firewall. If you
    aren't running a third-party firewall or have an antivirus with
    "Internet Worm Protection" (like Norton 2006/07) which acts as a
    firewall, then you're fine. With third-party firewalls, I usually
    configure the LAN allowance with an IP range. Ex. would be
    subnet. Do not run more than one firewall. DO NOT TURN OFF FIREWALLS;
    CONFIGURE THEM CORRECTLY.

    B. For ease of organization, put all computers in the same Workgroup.
    This is done from the System applet in Control Panel, Computer Name tab.

    C. Create matching user accounts and passwords on all machines. You do
    not need to be logged into the same account on all machines and the
    passwords assigned to each user account can be different; the
    accounts/passwords just need to exist and match on all machines. DO NOT
    NEGLECT TO CREATE PASSWORDS, EVEN IF ONLY SIMPLE ONES. If you wish a
    machine to boot directly to the Desktop (into one particular user's
    account) for convenience, you can do this. The instructions at this link
    work for both XP and Vista:

    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/Autologon.htm

    D. If one or more of the computers is XP Pro or Media Center, turn off
    Simple File Sharing (Folder Options>View tab).

    E. Create shares as desired. XP Home does not permit sharing of users'
    home directories or Program Files, but you can share folders inside
    those directories. A better choice is to simply use the Shared Documents
    folder. See the first link above for details about Vista sharing.

    F. After you have file sharing working (and have tested this by
    exchanging a file between all machines), if you want to share a printer
    connected locally to one of your computers, share it out from that
    machine. Then go to the printer mftr.'s website and download the latest
    drivers for the correct operating system(s). Install them on the target
    machine(s). The printer should be seen during the installation routine.
    If it is not, install the drivers and then use the Add Printer Wizard.
    In some instances, certain printers need to be installed as Local
    printers but that is outside of this response.
    </QUOTE>

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP

    Apollo 11 - 40 years ago: