laptop memory upgrade

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Jimbob, Mar 10, 2008.

  1. Jimbob

    Jimbob Guest

    Jimbob, Mar 10, 2008

  2. Jimbob

    Gordon Guest

    Jimbob wrote:
    > Hello.
    >
    > I have an acer aspire laptop which currently holds 2*512mb of memory. I
    > want to upgrade to 2gb if possible.
    >
    > How would i go about this.
    >
    > According to this link
    > http://www.acerdirect.co.uk/Acer_Aspire_5710WLMi_LX.AHB0X.093/version.asp
    > i can upto 4gb. Should i buy another 2*512mb, or does it make a
    > performance difference if i buy 4*1gb or 2*2gb.
    >
    > Thanks.

    Don't bother with 4GB - unless you have a 64 bit version of Windows. 32
    bit versions of Windows cannot see more than about 3.2 GB RAM, and then
    probably they don't use it all.
    Gordon, Mar 10, 2008

  3. Jimbob

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 21:22:22 +0000, Jimbob wrote:

    > Hello.
    >
    > I have an acer aspire laptop which currently holds 2*512mb of memory. I
    > want to upgrade to 2gb if possible.
    >
    > How would i go about this.
    >
    > According to this link
    > http://www.acerdirect.co.uk/Acer_Aspire_5710WLMi_LX.AHB0X.093/version.asp
    > i can upto 4gb. Should i buy another 2*512mb, or does it make a
    > performance difference if i buy 4*1gb or 2*2gb.

    Laptops generally have only two memory slots.

    #1 Usenet Asshole, March 2007
    #1 Bartlo Pset, March 13-24 2007
    #10 Most hated Usenetizen of all time
    COOSN-266-06-25794
    Meat Plow, Mar 10, 2008
  4. Jimbob

    Black Elvis Guest

    Black Elvis, Mar 10, 2008
  5. Jimbob

    Jimbob Guest

    Meat Plow wrote:
    > On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 21:22:22 +0000, Jimbob wrote:
    >
    >> Hello.
    >>
    >> I have an acer aspire laptop which currently holds 2*512mb of memory. I
    >> want to upgrade to 2gb if possible.
    >>
    >> How would i go about this.
    >>
    >> According to this link
    >> http://www.acerdirect.co.uk/Acer_Aspire_5710WLMi_LX.AHB0X.093/version.asp
    >> i can upto 4gb. Should i buy another 2*512mb, or does it make a
    >> performance difference if i buy 4*1gb or 2*2gb.
    >>

    > Laptops generally have only two memory slots.

    Yes, just found that from doing the crucial memory advisor.
    Jimbob, Mar 10, 2008
  6. Jimbob

    Jimbob Guest

    Gordon wrote:
    > Jimbob wrote:
    >> Hello.
    >>
    >> I have an acer aspire laptop which currently holds 2*512mb of memory.
    >> I want to upgrade to 2gb if possible.
    >>
    >> How would i go about this.
    >>
    >> According to this link
    >> http://www.acerdirect.co.uk/Acer_Aspire_5710WLMi_LX.AHB0X.093/version.asp
    >> i can upto 4gb. Should i buy another 2*512mb, or does it make a
    >> performance difference if i buy 4*1gb or 2*2gb.
    >>
    >> Thanks.

    > Don't bother with 4GB - unless you have a 64 bit version of Windows. 32
    > bit versions of Windows cannot see more than about 3.2 GB RAM, and then
    > probably they don't use it all.

    So, my laptop has 2 slots. Currently i have 2*512mb sticks. Would i be
    ok in buying a 2gb stick and use one of the 512mb sticks, totalling 2.5gb?

    Seems the performance is by using matching pairs, prefferably kits. So
    im a bit dubious about mixing and matching. Might be just best to buy
    2*1gb for now, until i upgrade to 64bit OS.
    Jimbob, Mar 10, 2008
  7. Jimbob

    L.E. Funt Guest

    you need 2 x 1gb, for dual channel

    L.E. Funt, Mar 10, 2008
  8. On 2008-03-10, Jimbob <> wrote:
    > Gordon wrote:
    >> Jimbob wrote:
    >>> Hello.
    >>>
    >>> I have an acer aspire laptop which currently holds 2*512mb of memory.
    >>> I want to upgrade to 2gb if possible.
    >>>
    >>> How would i go about this.
    >>>
    >>> According to this link
    >>> http://www.acerdirect.co.uk/Acer_Aspire_5710WLMi_LX.AHB0X.093/version.asp
    >>> i can upto 4gb. Should i buy another 2*512mb, or does it make a
    >>> performance difference if i buy 4*1gb or 2*2gb.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks.

    >> Don't bother with 4GB - unless you have a 64 bit version of Windows. 32
    >> bit versions of Windows cannot see more than about 3.2 GB RAM, and then
    >> probably they don't use it all.

    > So, my laptop has 2 slots. Currently i have 2*512mb sticks. Would i be
    > ok in buying a 2gb stick and use one of the 512mb sticks, totalling 2.5gb?
    >
    > Seems the performance is by using matching pairs, prefferably kits. So
    > im a bit dubious about mixing and matching. Might be just best to buy
    > 2*1gb for now, until i upgrade to 64bit OS.

    You probably only have 2 slots total, so buy 2 1GB sticks.
    Baba O'Reilly, Mar 10, 2008