    boot-up.

    TIA,
    Mike

    Mikester71, Sep 21, 2005

  2. Mikester71

    why? Guest

    On 21 Sep 2005 08:53:28 -0700, Mikester71 wrote:

    >My friends laptop keeps making a siren noise during bootup. He had left

    At power on? At the BIOS info screen? After 'starting windows'? After
    the initial Windows logo?

    >it at his trailer for a week. When he turned it on, it wouldn't finish

    It wouldn't matter what make / model the laptop is? You didn't say so it
    may not be important.

    >After he had brought back to his house and gave me a call, I told him
    >to try turning it on again so that I could hear the noise over the
    >phone. When he did, it made the noise but then booted up fine and the
    >siren stopped. Windows loaded fine too.
    >
    >Could it have been from dampness or something from being left in his
    >trailer for a week (the weather has been getting cool at night)? As I

    The manual doesn't mention anything?

    >said, it seems to work fine now after the initial siren noise at
    >boot-up.
    >
    >TIA,
    >Mike

    Me

    why?, Sep 21, 2005

  3. Mikester71

    Wal Guest

    Two tone siren on my computer with an Award Bios means a cpu failure. It
    could be that the
    CPU was not seated or maybe it was the damp. Once I set multiplier switches
    on my board to a position that the CPU could not use by mistake and that did
    it.
    The Siren is quite loud. If you do not know what it is it must be quite
    disconcerting.

    If you know the Bios you should be able to look up the
    POST codes/beeps (Power On Self Test) on the internet and find out
    what it means on that computer. I think it will probably be the same as on
    mine.

    You can also check by removing the CPU and booting up to see if it will do
    it again
    but on laptops the CPU is usually not so simple to remove as it is from a
    desktop.

    Regards,
    Rodney

    Wal, Sep 21, 2005
  4. Mikester71

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2005-09-21, Mikester71 <> wrote:
    > My friends laptop keeps making a siren noise during bootup. He had left
    > it at his trailer for a week. When he turned it on, it wouldn't finish
    >
    > After he had brought back to his house and gave me a call, I told him
    > to try turning it on again so that I could hear the noise over the
    > phone. When he did, it made the noise but then booted up fine and the
    > siren stopped. Windows loaded fine too.
    >
    > Could it have been from dampness or something from being left in his
    > trailer for a week (the weather has been getting cool at night)? As I
    > said, it seems to work fine now after the initial siren noise at
    > boot-up.
    >
    > TIA,
    > Mike

    Condensation was probably involved. There may be something about 'audible
    alarms' in the handbook.

    --
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Sep 21, 2005
  5. Mikester71

    Bill Guest

    > My friends laptop keeps making a siren noise during bootup. He had left
    > it at his trailer for a week. When he turned it on, it wouldn't finish

    Did he buy it from a cop?

    Bill, Sep 21, 2005