    technologically illiterate, I don't want to hack into it with a blunt
    instrument & find it doesn't work anymore.
    Any help would be much appreciated.
    Ummmmmmm......., Jun 18, 2012

  2. Ummmmmmm.......

    Malcolm Guest

    On Mon, 18 Jun 2012 13:07:06 +1200
    "Ummmmmmm......." <> wrote:

    > My wife has a Compaq Presario CQ70 laptop. The screen (17")started
    > flickering & rolling, & the repair shop, after keeping it for a
    > month, said the problem was a loose cable connection. They reckoned
    > they couldn't fix it, & said she'd have to get a new cable. After
    > another 2 months they said that they couldn't get a replacement cable
    > and she'd have to get a whole new screen. A few weeks after that they
    > said they couldn't get a replacement screen. Shoddy service, really.
    >
    > So I brought it home & hooked it up to an external monitor. It works
    > fine, except that when she's typing she has to sit at an
    > uncomfortable angle, because the lid blocks her view if she puts the
    > monitor immediately behind the keyboard.
    >
    > So I have a question.
    >
    > Is it possible to remove the lid/screen of the laptop? Without
    > stuffing up the computer? If so, how would I go about doing this? I
    > don't feel like taking it back to the computer shop & waiting 6
    > months before they tell me they can't find their screwdriver. But
    > also, being technologically illiterate, I don't want to hack into it
    > with a blunt instrument & find it doesn't work anymore.
    > Any help would be much appreciated.

    Hi
    Something like this....
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-HP-Co...ther_Computing_Networking&hash=item3f14efd3b4

    If your in the Auckland area, maybe someone like ~misfit~ can do
    something like that for you?

    --
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (x86_64) Kernel 3.0.31-0.9-default
    Malcolm, Jun 18, 2012

  3. Ummmmmmm.......

    Me Guest

    On 18/06/2012 1:07 p.m., Ummmmmmm....... wrote:
    > My wife has a Compaq Presario CQ70 laptop. The screen (17")started
    > flickering & rolling, & the repair shop, after keeping it for a month,
    > said the problem was a loose cable connection. They reckoned they
    > couldn't fix it, & said she'd have to get a new cable. After another 2
    > months they said that they couldn't get a replacement cable and she'd
    > have to get a whole new screen. A few weeks after that they said they
    > couldn't get a replacement screen. Shoddy service, really.
    >
    > So I brought it home & hooked it up to an external monitor. It works
    > fine, except that when she's typing she has to sit at an uncomfortable
    > angle, because the lid blocks her view if she puts the monitor
    > immediately behind the keyboard.
    >
    > So I have a question.
    >
    > Is it possible to remove the lid/screen of the laptop? Without stuffing
    > up the computer? If so, how would I go about doing this? I don't feel
    > like taking it back to the computer shop & waiting 6 months before they
    > tell me they can't find their screwdriver. But also, being
    > technologically illiterate, I don't want to hack into it with a blunt
    > instrument & find it doesn't work anymore.
    > Any help would be much appreciated.

    There's usually (on most laptops) a panel above the keyboard which needs
    to be removed in order to get at the lid hinges. It might require
    removing the keyboard first, in which case you might be able to get
    access to the video cable at that end, and at the other end by removing
    the front bezel from screen/lid, so you may not need to completely
    remove the screen.
    I suggest you google, including on youtube, for the model number and
    "dismantle" for specific instructions. They can be a PITA if you don't
    know model-specific tricks - how to unclip panels without breaking them
    etc, or location of well-concealed screws etc.
    Me, Jun 18, 2012
  4. Ummmmmmm.......

    Gib Bogle Guest

    On 18/06/2012 1:07 p.m., Ummmmmmm....... wrote:
    > My wife has a Compaq Presario CQ70 laptop. The screen (17")started
    > flickering & rolling, & the repair shop, after keeping it for a month,
    > said the problem was a loose cable connection. They reckoned they
    > couldn't fix it, & said she'd have to get a new cable. After another 2
    > months they said that they couldn't get a replacement cable and she'd
    > have to get a whole new screen. A few weeks after that they said they
    > couldn't get a replacement screen. Shoddy service, really.
    >
    > So I brought it home & hooked it up to an external monitor. It works
    > fine, except that when she's typing she has to sit at an uncomfortable
    > angle, because the lid blocks her view if she puts the monitor
    > immediately behind the keyboard.
    >
    > So I have a question.
    >
    > Is it possible to remove the lid/screen of the laptop? Without stuffing
    > up the computer? If so, how would I go about doing this? I don't feel
    > like taking it back to the computer shop & waiting 6 months before they
    > tell me they can't find their screwdriver. But also, being
    > technologically illiterate, I don't want to hack into it with a blunt
    > instrument & find it doesn't work anymore.
    > Any help would be much appreciated.

    Why not lower the screen until it's open just enough to prevent
    sleeping? You could attach a stopper, e.g. a cork, to prevent
    inadvertent closing. Hard to see how this would obstruct the view of
    the monitor.
    Gib Bogle, Jun 18, 2012
  5. Ummmmmmm.......

    Me Guest

    On 18/06/2012 1:24 p.m., Gib Bogle wrote:
    > On 18/06/2012 1:07 p.m., Ummmmmmm....... wrote:
    >> My wife has a Compaq Presario CQ70 laptop. The screen (17")started
    >> flickering & rolling, & the repair shop, after keeping it for a month,
    >> said the problem was a loose cable connection. They reckoned they
    >> couldn't fix it, & said she'd have to get a new cable. After another 2
    >> months they said that they couldn't get a replacement cable and she'd
    >> have to get a whole new screen. A few weeks after that they said they
    >> couldn't get a replacement screen. Shoddy service, really.
    >>
    >> So I brought it home & hooked it up to an external monitor. It works
    >> fine, except that when she's typing she has to sit at an uncomfortable
    >> angle, because the lid blocks her view if she puts the monitor
    >> immediately behind the keyboard.
    >>
    >> So I have a question.
    >>
    >> Is it possible to remove the lid/screen of the laptop? Without stuffing
    >> up the computer? If so, how would I go about doing this? I don't feel
    >> like taking it back to the computer shop & waiting 6 months before they
    >> tell me they can't find their screwdriver. But also, being
    >> technologically illiterate, I don't want to hack into it with a blunt
    >> instrument & find it doesn't work anymore.
    >> Any help would be much appreciated.

    > Why not lower the screen until it's open just enough to prevent
    > sleeping? You could attach a stopper, e.g. a cork, to prevent
    > inadvertent closing. Hard to see how this would obstruct the view of the
    > monitor.

    Possibly because if the OP's wife doesn't also get an external keyboard
    and mouse, then she'll need very long thin fingers and excellent
    touch-typing skills.
    Me, Jun 18, 2012
  6. Ummmmmmm.......

    Gib Bogle Guest

    On 18/06/2012 1:29 p.m., Me wrote:

    >> Why not lower the screen until it's open just enough to prevent
    >> sleeping? You could attach a stopper, e.g. a cork, to prevent
    >> inadvertent closing. Hard to see how this would obstruct the view of the
    >> monitor.
    > >

    > Possibly because if the OP's wife doesn't also get an external keyboard
    > and mouse, then she'll need very long thin fingers and excellent
    > touch-typing skills.

    A very good point! It would have to be open enough to allow hands in,
    and if she needs to look at the keyboard as I do, but is shorter than
    me, I can see that the lid could obstruct the view.
    Gib Bogle, Jun 18, 2012
  7. Ummmmmmm.......

    Enkidu Guest

    On 18/06/12 13:07, Ummmmmmm....... wrote:
    > My wife has a Compaq Presario CQ70 laptop. The screen (17")started
    > flickering & rolling, & the repair shop, after keeping it for a month,
    > said the problem was a loose cable connection. They reckoned they
    > couldn't fix it, & said she'd have to get a new cable. After another 2
    > months they said that they couldn't get a replacement cable and she'd
    > have to get a whole new screen. A few weeks after that they said they
    > couldn't get a replacement screen. Shoddy service, really.
    >
    > So I brought it home & hooked it up to an external monitor. It works
    > fine, except that when she's typing she has to sit at an uncomfortable
    > angle, because the lid blocks her view if she puts the monitor
    > immediately behind the keyboard.
    >
    > So I have a question.
    >
    > Is it possible to remove the lid/screen of the laptop? Without stuffing
    > up the computer? If so, how would I go about doing this? I don't feel
    > like taking it back to the computer shop & waiting 6 months before they
    > tell me they can't find their screwdriver. But also, being
    > technologically illiterate, I don't want to hack into it with a blunt
    > instrument & find it doesn't work anymore.
    > Any help would be much appreciated.

    You should be able to attach a mouse and keyboard to the laptop and then
    close the lid while it is booted up.

    Cheers,

    Cliff
    Enkidu, Jun 18, 2012
  8. On Mon, 18 Jun 2012 13:07:06 +1200, "Ummmmmmm......."
    <> wrote:

    >My wife has a Compaq Presario CQ70 laptop. The screen (17")started
    >flickering & rolling, & the repair shop, after keeping it for a month,
    >said the problem was a loose cable connection. They reckoned they
    >couldn't fix it, & said she'd have to get a new cable. After another 2
    >months they said that they couldn't get a replacement cable and she'd
    >have to get a whole new screen. A few weeks after that they said they
    >couldn't get a replacement screen. Shoddy service, really.
    >
    >So I brought it home & hooked it up to an external monitor. It works
    >fine, except that when she's typing she has to sit at an uncomfortable
    >angle, because the lid blocks her view if she puts the monitor
    >immediately behind the keyboard.
    >
    >So I have a question.
    >
    >Is it possible to remove the lid/screen of the laptop? Without stuffing
    >up the computer? If so, how would I go about doing this? I don't feel
    >like taking it back to the computer shop & waiting 6 months before they
    >tell me they can't find their screwdriver. But also, being
    >technologically illiterate, I don't want to hack into it with a blunt
    >instrument & find it doesn't work anymore.
    >Any help would be much appreciated.

    This page seems to be the HP page for all the manuals:

    http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsuppor...Manual&prodTypeId=321957&prodSeriesId=3768171

    and from a link on that page, this seems to be the service manual with
    the disassembly instructions:

    http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsuppor...support/SupportManual/c01573159/c01573159.pdf

    As to getting parts, since this seems to be a 2008 model, the Consumer
    Guarantees Act requires that the parts be available for the life of
    the goods, so you can go back to the shop you bought it from and
    require them to get the part or even to fix the problem, and if they
    are no longer in existence, the manufacturer or NZ importer (HP or
    their NZ agents) are required to fix it. Should it actually be
    impossible to get the parts, then the CGA remedy would probably be a
    new laptop or your money back. Do not take any bullshit from the
    retailer or HP - the CGA is very clear about these things. If they
    refuse, ask for details of the person to send the notice to about the
    Disputes Tribunal hearing. That usually makes them remember their
    obligations under the CGA. And if that does not work, actually go to
    the Disputes Tribunal - it is likely that you would win your case
    easily.
    Stephen Worthington, Jun 18, 2012
  9. On Mon, 18 Jun 2012 19:30:41 +1200, Frank Williams
    <> wrote:

> [...]

    >>new laptop or your money back. Do not take any bullshit from the
    >>retailer or HP - the CGA is very clear about these things. If they
    >>refuse, ask for details of the person to send the notice to about the
    >>Disputes Tribunal hearing. That usually makes them remember their
    >>obligations under the CGA. And if that does not work, actually go to
    >>the Disputes Tribunal - it is likely that you would win your case
    >>easily.

    >To me this is the ONLY way to go, But HP is not a very nice firm to deal
    >with..
    >
    >I gave some help to a Chap that had a Faulty HP with the well known
    >graphics chip problem, I sent him stacks of links about this fault, he
    >emailed my 6 months later to tell me that HP would not do a thing but
    >Noel Leeming replaced his Laptop, I don't know if it was brought from

    If it was bought from Noel Leemings, and Noel Leemings are still
    trading, then the CGA makes it plain that as Noel Leemings are the
    retailer it is their responsibility to get it fixed, rather than HPs.
    However, I believe it is the responsibility of the importer or
    manufacturer to make sure of parts availability in NZ for the lifetime
    of the product. So HP may not have to pay for the repairs, but they
    sure had better be able to supply the spares, and for a reasonable
    price.

    >I have been in the service trade and many firms are not stocking parts
    >at all, or for only 3 years to me its totally illegal.

    Yes, and then they try to tell you that a laptop's lifetime is only
    three years! If they make laptops that bad, they had better only cost
    $100. Otherwise for a normally priced laptop I would expect at least
    7-10 years of operation, as I do for any computer. The CGA requires
    "durability" for all products.

    >Also some service agents are not approved in servicing PC or
    >Laptops,often parts are available from OZZ.

    Approved agent status does not matter to the CGA. The CGA requires
    that spares be available for the lifetime of the product. Any
    retailer who stocks things that will not have spares for the lifetime
    of the product should expect to have to replace or refund instead when
    the spares are not available, as required by the CGA. So they should
    be putting aside funding for that or should be ensuring that spares
    will be available by having an agreement with the importer or
    manufacturer when they decide to sell their products. So Noel
    Leemings should have made sure they had an agreement with HP that HP
    would have the spares or even cover the CGA costs. I doubt they have
    such an agreement, so it is then all up to them to fix or otherwise
    remedy the problem. But fix it they must.
    Stephen Worthington, Jun 18, 2012
  10. Ummmmmmm.......

    Me Guest

    On 18/06/2012 8:27 p.m., Stephen Worthington wrote:
> [...]

    >> Laptops,often parts are available from OZZ.

    > Approved agent status does not matter to the CGA. The CGA requires
    > that spares be available for the lifetime of the product. Any
    > retailer who stocks things that will not have spares for the lifetime
    > of the product should expect to have to replace or refund instead when
    > the spares are not available, as required by the CGA. So they should
    > be putting aside funding for that or should be ensuring that spares
    > will be available by having an agreement with the importer or
    > manufacturer when they decide to sell their products. So Noel
    > Leemings should have made sure they had an agreement with HP that HP
    > would have the spares or even cover the CGA costs. I doubt they have
    > such an agreement, so it is then all up to them to fix or otherwise
    > remedy the problem. But fix it they must.

    Makes me wonder what the future of something like the very beautiful new
    Macbook Pro "Retina" screen notebook will be like.

    There's a teardown here:
    http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/MacBook-Pro-with-Retina-Display-Teardown/9462/1#.T97vqLX9N8E

    The lithium ion battery seems to be designed to be non-replaceable -
    actually glued in to the chassis. The ram chips are soldered in to the
    m/b. The SSD has a proprietary non-standard interface. The screen
    assembly can't be disassembled.

    They've made the thing unserviceable - for the main components
    (battery/ram/display/ssd) which might not last. It's a very appealing
    sexy looking laptop, but jeeesh - 7-10 years of operation? I don't
    think so.
    Me, Jun 18, 2012
  11. This servicemen has given me good service: only does laptop screens
    and associated problems..

    Hanson

    (027) 5737651 (09) 5285689

    4/28 Speight Rd
    Kohimarama
    Auckland City
    Auckland

    He's not a relative or business associate.
    Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz, Jun 18, 2012
  12. On 18/06/2012 1:07 p.m., Ummmmmmm....... wrote:
    > My wife has a Compaq Presario CQ70 laptop. The screen (17")started
    > flickering & rolling, & the repair shop, after keeping it for a month,
    > said the problem was a loose cable connection. They reckoned they
    > couldn't fix it, & said she'd have to get a new cable. After another 2
    > months they said that they couldn't get a replacement cable and she'd
    > have to get a whole new screen. A few weeks after that they said they
    > couldn't get a replacement screen. Shoddy service, really.
    >
    > So I brought it home & hooked it up to an external monitor. It works
    > fine, except that when she's typing she has to sit at an uncomfortable
    > angle, because the lid blocks her view if she puts the monitor
    > immediately behind the keyboard.
    >
    > So I have a question.
    >
    > Is it possible to remove the lid/screen of the laptop? Without stuffing
    > up the computer? If so, how would I go about doing this? I don't feel
    > like taking it back to the computer shop & waiting 6 months before they
    > tell me they can't find their screwdriver. But also, being
    > technologically illiterate, I don't want to hack into it with a blunt
    > instrument & find it doesn't work anymore.
    > Any help would be much appreciated.

    Thanks all! Very useful and informative. We'll go with the wireless
    keyboard & mouse option.
    I'm in Wellington, otherwise I would've looked at the Auckland
    suggestions - a good honest serviceman is worth his weight in gold!
    Ummmmmmm......., Jun 19, 2012
  13. Ummmmmmm.......

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Malcolm wrote:
    > On Mon, 18 Jun 2012 13:07:06 +1200
    > "Ummmmmmm......." <> wrote:
    >
    >> My wife has a Compaq Presario CQ70 laptop. The screen (17")started
    >> flickering & rolling, & the repair shop, after keeping it for a
    >> month, said the problem was a loose cable connection. They reckoned
    >> they couldn't fix it, & said she'd have to get a new cable. After
    >> another 2 months they said that they couldn't get a replacement cable
    >> and she'd have to get a whole new screen. A few weeks after that they
    >> said they couldn't get a replacement screen. Shoddy service, really.
    >>
    >> So I brought it home & hooked it up to an external monitor. It works
    >> fine, except that when she's typing she has to sit at an
    >> uncomfortable angle, because the lid blocks her view if she puts the
    >> monitor immediately behind the keyboard.
    >>
    >> So I have a question.
    >>
    >> Is it possible to remove the lid/screen of the laptop? Without
    >> stuffing up the computer? If so, how would I go about doing this? I
    >> don't feel like taking it back to the computer shop & waiting 6
    >> months before they tell me they can't find their screwdriver. But
    >> also, being technologically illiterate, I don't want to hack into it
    >> with a blunt instrument & find it doesn't work anymore.
    >> Any help would be much appreciated.

    > Hi
    > Something like this....
    > http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-HP-Co...ther_Computing_Networking&hash=item3f14efd3b4
    >
    > If your in the Auckland area, maybe someone like ~misfit~ can do
    > something like that for you?

    Just saw this thread, thanks for the mention Malcolm. Yeah, I could take
    that lid off quite easilly. The thing I hate about Compaqs though is that
    first step, prising up the plastic strip above the keyboard. They always
    seems like it's going to snap to me, no matter how many times I do them.

    In fact I have a couple 'headless' lappies like that myself, got both of
    them for next-to-nothing. ;-)
    --
    Shaun.

    cozy little classification in the DSM."