    running right the video is fine.

    Thanks

    Brian

    NoSpam, Feb 11, 2004

  2. NoSpam

    Unk Guest

    If the problem only occurs when cold, I would suspect a loose connection or
    cold solder joint. It's as bad as a Chinese puzzle trying to take it apart
    to check. You might be best off contacting Dell.

    Unk, Feb 11, 2004

  3. An easy way to check to see if its the LCD or video card is to plug in
    an external monitor. If the "scrambling" occurs on the external monitor
    also then you know is the VGA card, if it doesn't then you know the LCD.
    From my experience it sounds like its the LCD. we've had a few
    Inspiron 8000s, 7500s and 8100 have their LCD replaced cuz it just
    crapped out overnight. If its under warranty Dell will replace it for
    free just give them a call. If not it will be a nice chunk of change to
    replace.

    ----------------------------
    Oscar Gonzalez

    www.rageconsulting.com

    Oscar Gonzalez, Feb 11, 2004
  4. NoSpam

    Fred Guest

    "NoSpam" <> wrote in message
    > Hello All,
    >
    > I have a Dell Inspiron 8100 laptop that has started occasionally

    scrambling
    > the screen at boot up. If I shut it off with the power switch and

    restart it
    > usually it clears up. Some times it takes a couple of shut downs to
    > straighten it out.
    >
    > Is the LCD screen going south or video card? When it's started up and
    > running right the video is fine.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Brian

    I had an intermittent problem with my TI Laptop, I was sure it was a
    broken wire due to
    opening and shutting and sent it back to Acer for a cable replacement.
    Acers quoted a £1000.00 charge to replace the TFT screen!!!!
    I told them I would go public with their outrageous demand and guess
    what -
    they found a new cable and fitted it for £35.00 (That was 5 years ago
    and the
    laptop is still going strong.)
    Moral ? BEWARE (Not that I am suggesting Dell would stoop that low!)
    Fred

    Fred, Feb 11, 2004
  5. NoSpam

    NoSpam Guest

    "Fred" <"Fred"@invalid.btinternet.com> wrote in message

    > "NoSpam" <> wrote in message
    > > Hello All,
    > >
    > > I have a Dell Inspiron 8100 laptop that has started occasionally

    > scrambling
    > > the screen at boot up. If I shut it off with the power switch and

    > restart it
    > > usually it clears up. Some times it takes a couple of shut downs to
    > > straighten it out.
    > >
    > > Is the LCD screen going south or video card? When it's started up and
    > > running right the video is fine.
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > >
    > > Brian

    > I had an intermittent problem with my TI Laptop, I was sure it was a
    > broken wire due to
    > opening and shutting and sent it back to Acer for a cable replacement.
    > Acers quoted a £1000.00 charge to replace the TFT screen!!!!
    > I told them I would go public with their outrageous demand and guess
    > what -
    > they found a new cable and fitted it for £35.00 (That was 5 years ago
    > and the
    > laptop is still going strong.)
    > Moral ? BEWARE (Not that I am suggesting Dell would stoop that low!)
    > Fred

    I can move the monitor on it's hinges and it doesn't seam to effect the
    system so it may not be the cable. I'm guessing it's the LCD. I guess I need
    to try and hook a CRT monitor to it and see if I can make it happen.

    Thanks
    Brian

    NoSpam, Feb 12, 2004
  6. NoSpam wrote:

    > I have a Dell Inspiron 8100 laptop that has started occasionally scrambling
    > the screen at boot up. If I shut it off with the power switch and restart it
    > usually it clears up. Some times it takes a couple of shut downs to
    > straighten it out.

    > Is the LCD screen going south or video card? When it's started up and
    > running right the video is fine.

    Try opening it from the other side.

    No, really. Mine has a hinky connection somewhere inside the left edge
    of the frame. If I open it by that side, with my left hand, the display
    is hosed. If I open it from the front or right, it's fine. Been that
    way for a year or so.

    --
    Blinky Linux RU 4892F
    http://linuxnotjustforgeeks.org