    Suffolk,
    Hazard County
    United Kingdom
    Ivor, May 14, 2009

  2. Ivor

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Thu, 14 May 2009 20:02:38 +0100, "Ivor" <> wrote:

    >hiya all, could do with some advice please....

    First advice: Ignore chucktard. He's going to tell you a laptop
    keyboard is non user replaceable. As it sounds like you've realized,
    it's quite easy to replace.

    >My Toshiba satellite M40 needs a new / replacement keyboard, Model number NSK-T471D, there's plenty
    >on ebay, on the ribbon my one says T4001-UK in part of the model number.
    >the only one's I can find are labeled with T4001-US on the ribbon. now what
    >I need to know is would this be ok for my laptop ?

    So sounds like you're in the UK. The keyboard will be a US keyboard,
    if that's what you're seeing on eBay.

    Are you a touch typer? The main difference is your keyboard now on the
    4 key has a pound - currency symbol right? The US keyboard would have
    a dollar ($) sign. But - I'm pretty sure of this - if you hit the
    shift four, you'll get the pound symbol (currency). There's probably
    other differences too - I seem to recall a few differences.

    Assuming this is the keyboard
    http://www.powerbrixx.com/images/SKU_6942_PB1.jpg

    Take a look and see what keys are different.

    Like I said, I'm fairly certain that the key will work the way it
    SHOULD, but the physical key will have the US versions.

    I looked on eBay for Toshiba M40 UK keyboard, and found quite a
    few.... That may work for you. :)
    Evan Platt, May 14, 2009

  3. Ivor

    Aardvark Guest

    On Thu, 14 May 2009 12:10:30 -0700, Evan Platt wrote:

    > Take a look and see what keys are different.

    Well,beginning from the top left:

    US has '@' where '"' should be.

    US has '#' where '£' should be.

    US has a key to the right of that which has '{' and '[' which types '\'
    and '|'. This key on my keyboard lives between the left shift key and 'z'.

    The two keys to the right of the 'L' key here type ';' and ':', ''' and
    '@' respectively. The next key to the right of these types the hash symbol
    (#) and the tilde (~).

    The keyboard in your picture has an extra key between the left 'Alt' key
    and the space bar which seems to show that it types the tilde and '''.

    Aardvark, May 14, 2009