    h6 appearing! Also, apparently with the number 5 and 6 keys. He's checked the
    underneath of the keys and no dirt or anything there. Any suggestions as to
    what's wrong -- hardware or software? TIA

    Dave, Dec 9, 2005

  2. Dave

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:,
    Dave spewed forth:
    > A friend has recently acquired a second-hand Compaq M700 laptop.
    > Everything is fine except for a keyboard quirk. Hitting the g and h
    > keys results in g5 and h6 appearing! Also, apparently with the
    > number 5 and 6 keys. He's checked the underneath of the keys and no
    > dirt or anything there. Any suggestions as to what's wrong --
    > hardware or software? TIA

    Probably hardware. If you have PS2 port on the laptop, plug in a standard
    keyboard and try that.

    I've bought used keyboards for laptops on eBay. Might be a cheap fix.

    --
    We put the "K" in "Kwality"!

    Toolman Tim, Dec 9, 2005

  3. Dave

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2005-12-09, Toolman Tim <> wrote:
    > In news:,
    > Dave spewed forth:
    >> A friend has recently acquired a second-hand Compaq M700 laptop.
    >> Everything is fine except for a keyboard quirk. Hitting the g and h
    >> keys results in g5 and h6 appearing! Also, apparently with the
    >> number 5 and 6 keys. He's checked the underneath of the keys and no
    >> dirt or anything there. Any suggestions as to what's wrong --
    >> hardware or software? TIA

    > Probably hardware. If you have PS2 port on the laptop, plug in a standard
    > keyboard and try that.
    >
    > I've bought used keyboards for laptops on eBay. Might be a cheap fix.

    Make sure any replacement is the right language (eg 'UK English', 'US', or
    'US International', or whatever).

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Dec 9, 2005
  4. Dave

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:,
    Whiskers spewed forth:
    > On 2005-12-09, Toolman Tim <> wrote:
    >> In news:,
    >> Dave spewed forth:
    >>> A friend has recently acquired a second-hand Compaq M700 laptop.
    >>> Everything is fine except for a keyboard quirk. Hitting the g and h
    >>> keys results in g5 and h6 appearing! Also, apparently with the
    >>> number 5 and 6 keys. He's checked the underneath of the keys and no
    >>> dirt or anything there. Any suggestions as to what's wrong --
    >>> hardware or software? TIA

    >> Probably hardware. If you have PS2 port on the laptop, plug in a
    >> standard keyboard and try that.
    >>
    >> I've bought used keyboards for laptops on eBay. Might be a cheap fix.

    > Make sure any replacement is the right language (eg 'UK English',
    > 'US', or 'US International', or whatever).

    heh heh - good point! I remember when I switched to IBM PCs from the Tandy,
    the " and @ were reversed. Took me a LONG time to get used to it.

    --
    We put the "K" in "Kwality"!

    Toolman Tim, Dec 9, 2005