    anything there that I can change to fix this problem.

    Any suggestions?

    Paul

    Paul Welch, Oct 6, 2005

  2. Paul Welch

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Paul Welch wrote:
    > My old Dell Latitude keyboard is not working. Laptop started making a
    > load noise when I turned it on like a mechanical beeping. I hit enter
    > and it stopped beeping. Win98 loaded up and everything appeared to be
    > working but the keyboard. When I hit a key I get the beep each time I
    > hit a key, but nothing happens. I don't get the letter or number I am
    > hitting. I looked at the keyboard in the Control Panel but don't see
    > anything there that I can change to fix this problem.
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    >
    > Paul

    Often that is a sign that the keyboard has something stuck - either a key is
    stuck down (hard to see on a laptop because the keys don't use the springs
    from the electrical switch) or something may be wedged under a key. I've had
    paperclips slip in between the spacebar and the button underneath - the
    spacebar looks normal, but the paperclip is keeping the key pressed all the
    time.

    On Dell computers, the keyboard usually comes off easy if you want to
    examine it more closely. The bottom of the case has letters in circles next
    to each screw. Remove the screws marked "K", and lift out the top of the
    keyboard (closest edge to the screen), then pull towards the screen to bring
    the bottom out. Loosen the ribbon cable (lift the tabs on each side of the
    mainboard connector) and lift out. Now you can tip the keyboard around as
    needed to see if there's anything obviously wrong.

    Often just removing the keyboard and reinstalling it is enough to get going
    again. Of course, it could be bad. I often find replacments on eBay. Or plug
    a standard keyboard into the PS2 connector.

    Toolman Tim, Oct 6, 2005

  3. Paul Welch

    Plato Guest

    Toolman Tim wrote:

    > > My old Dell Latitude keyboard is not working. Laptop started making a
    > > load noise when I turned it on like a mechanical beeping. I hit enter

    > Often that is a sign that the keyboard has something stuck - either a key is
    > stuck down (hard to see on a laptop because the keys don't use the springs
    > from the electrical switch) or something may be wedged under a key. I've had
    > paperclips slip in between the spacebar and the button underneath - the

    My kids use to love removing staples from their homework over my desk,
    and of course, my keyboard.

    Plato, Oct 7, 2005
  4. Paul Welch

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Plato wrote:
    > Toolman Tim wrote:
    >>
    >>> My old Dell Latitude keyboard is not working. Laptop started
    >>> making a load noise when I turned it on like a mechanical beeping.
    >>> I hit enter

    >> Often that is a sign that the keyboard has something stuck - either
    >> a key is stuck down (hard to see on a laptop because the keys don't
    >> use the springs from the electrical switch) or something may be
    >> wedged under a key. I've had paperclips slip in between the spacebar
    >> and the button underneath - the

    > My kids use to love removing staples from their homework over my desk,
    > and of course, my keyboard.

    I had a lady at work complain about her keyboard not working. I took it
    apart, and over 30 staples fell out. Duh!

    Toolman Tim, Oct 8, 2005