Laptop keyboard dead ?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Lodi, Dec 18, 2007.

  1. Lodi

    Lodi Guest

    Hi all....My nephew has an Acer Aspire 3002 laptop. The keyboard has
    stopped working. The touchpad is fine.

    I'm pretty sure it's not a software problem as it won't even boot into
    bios during POST (using F2).

    It boots XP fine and I've also booted from a Knoppix Live CD but once the
    system is running there's no keyboard.

    I don't have a USB keyboard to test against but I do have a USB numeric
    keypad and that works fine.

    As it's just suddenly stopped working I'm thinking there's some sort of
    "keyboard lock" key combination been pressed. But I've pressed all the FN
    combinations with no luck. And there doesn't seem to be any stuck keys.

    Anyone got any thoughts before I start looking at resetting the cmos or
    replacing the keyboard or closing my eyes and making a blind stab with a
    pointy tool and hoping that fixes the problem.

    Regards
    Lodi

    Lodi, Dec 18, 2007

  2. Lodi

    impossible Guest

    "Lodi" <> wrote in message news:fk76kl$ev2$...
    > Hi all....My nephew has an Acer Aspire 3002 laptop. The keyboard has
    > stopped working. The touchpad is fine.
    >
    > I'm pretty sure it's not a software problem as it won't even boot into
    > bios during POST (using F2).
    >
    > It boots XP fine and I've also booted from a Knoppix Live CD but once the
    > system is running there's no keyboard.
    >
    > I don't have a USB keyboard to test against but I do have a USB numeric
    > keypad and that works fine.
    >
    > As it's just suddenly stopped working I'm thinking there's some sort of
    > "keyboard lock" key combination been pressed. But I've pressed all the FN
    > combinations with no luck. And there doesn't seem to be any stuck keys.
    >
    > Anyone got any thoughts before I start looking at resetting the cmos or
    > replacing the keyboard or closing my eyes and making a blind stab with a
    > pointy tool and hoping that fixes the problem.

    Shot in the dark, but try this:

    http://www.fixya.com/support/t252499-keyboard_mouse_dead

    " just fixed this problem by doing the following:

    Hard power-off (hold the power button until the laptop turns off)
    Unplug the AC adaptor
    Remove the battery
    Plug in the AC adaptor
    Hold ctrl and turn the power on. You should arrive at a black screen.
    Hard power-off again, then turn the power on."

    impossible, Dec 18, 2007

  3. Lodi

    Malcolm Guest

    On Tue, 18 Dec 2007 02:09:42 +0100 (CET)
    Lodi <> wrote:

    > Hi all....My nephew has an Acer Aspire 3002 laptop. The keyboard has
    > stopped working. The touchpad is fine.
    >
    > I'm pretty sure it's not a software problem as it won't even boot
    > into bios during POST (using F2).
    >
    > It boots XP fine and I've also booted from a Knoppix Live CD but once
    > the system is running there's no keyboard.
    >
    > I don't have a USB keyboard to test against but I do have a USB
    > numeric keypad and that works fine.
    >
    > As it's just suddenly stopped working I'm thinking there's some sort
    > of "keyboard lock" key combination been pressed. But I've pressed all
    > the FN combinations with no luck. And there doesn't seem to be any
    > stuck keys.
    >
    > Anyone got any thoughts before I start looking at resetting the cmos
    > or replacing the keyboard or closing my eyes and making a blind stab
    > with a pointy tool and hoping that fixes the problem.
    >
    > Regards
    > Lodi

    Hi
    Can you pop the keyboard off and check the ribbon cable hasn't
    dislodged (broken) from it's connector?
    You would need to look at a manual to see how it removes for that
    model.

    The connectors on the MB usually have a lift tab which needs to be
    popped up from each end, then re-seat the cable and press down to
    re-latch.

    --
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
    SLED 10.0 SP1 x86_64 Kernel 2.6.16.54-0.2.3-smp

    Malcolm, Dec 18, 2007
  4. Lodi

    Lodi Guest

    On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 19:47:06 -0600, Malcolm wrote:

    > On Tue, 18 Dec 2007 02:09:42 +0100 (CET) Lodi <> wrote:
    >
    >> Hi all....My nephew has an Acer Aspire 3002 laptop. The keyboard has
    >> stopped working. The touchpad is fine.
    >>
    >> I'm pretty sure it's not a software problem as it won't even boot into
    >> bios during POST (using F2).
    >>
    >> It boots XP fine and I've also booted from a Knoppix Live CD but once
    >> the system is running there's no keyboard.
    >>
    >> I don't have a USB keyboard to test against but I do have a USB numeric
    >> keypad and that works fine.
    >>
    >> As it's just suddenly stopped working I'm thinking there's some sort of
    >> "keyboard lock" key combination been pressed. But I've pressed all the
    >> FN combinations with no luck. And there doesn't seem to be any stuck
    >> keys.
    >>
    >> Anyone got any thoughts before I start looking at resetting the cmos or
    >> replacing the keyboard or closing my eyes and making a blind stab with
    >> a pointy tool and hoping that fixes the problem.
    >>
    >> Regards
    >> Lodi

    > Hi
    > Can you pop the keyboard off and check the ribbon cable hasn't dislodged
    > (broken) from it's connector? You would need to look at a manual to see
    > how it removes for that model.
    >
    > The connectors on the MB usually have a lift tab which needs to be
    > popped up from each end, then re-seat the cable and press down to
    > re-latch.

    Hi Malcolm...Full marks to you :)

    Googled the disassembly instructions for the laptop, removed then re-
    attached the keyboard ribbon cable. Problem solved.

    From your bag of tricks into mine. Most appreciated.

    Regards
    Lodi

    Lodi, Dec 18, 2007
  5. Lodi

    Lodi Guest

    On Tue, 18 Dec 2007 01:42:38 +0000, impossible wrote:

    > "Lodi" <> wrote in message news:fk76kl$ev2$...
    >> Hi all....My nephew has an Acer Aspire 3002 laptop. The keyboard has
    >> stopped working. The touchpad is fine.
    >>
    >> I'm pretty sure it's not a software problem as it won't even boot into
    >> bios during POST (using F2).
    >>
    >> It boots XP fine and I've also booted from a Knoppix Live CD but once
    >> the system is running there's no keyboard.
    >>
    >> I don't have a USB keyboard to test against but I do have a USB numeric
    >> keypad and that works fine.
    >>
    >> As it's just suddenly stopped working I'm thinking there's some sort of
    >> "keyboard lock" key combination been pressed. But I've pressed all the
    >> FN combinations with no luck. And there doesn't seem to be any stuck
    >> keys.
    >>
    >> Anyone got any thoughts before I start looking at resetting the cmos or
    >> replacing the keyboard or closing my eyes and making a blind stab with
    >> a pointy tool and hoping that fixes the problem.
    >>

    > Shot in the dark, but try this:
    >
    > http://www.fixya.com/support/t252499-keyboard_mouse_dead
    >
    > " just fixed this problem by doing the following:
    >
    > Hard power-off (hold the power button until the laptop turns off) Unplug
    > the AC adaptor
    > Remove the battery
    > Plug in the AC adaptor
    > Hold ctrl and turn the power on. You should arrive at a black screen.
    > Hard power-off again, then turn the power on."

    Twas a loose ribbon cable but thanks for your reply. Will keep it for
    future reference.

    Regards
    Lodi

    Lodi, Dec 18, 2007
  6. Lodi

    Malcolm Guest

    On Tue, 18 Dec 2007 04:45:32 +0100 (CET)
    Lodi <> wrote:

    <snip>
    > > Hi
    > > Can you pop the keyboard off and check the ribbon cable hasn't
    > > dislodged (broken) from it's connector? You would need to look at a
    > > manual to see how it removes for that model.
    > >
    > > The connectors on the MB usually have a lift tab which needs to be
    > > popped up from each end, then re-seat the cable and press down to
    > > re-latch.

    > Hi Malcolm...Full marks to you :)
    >
    > Googled the disassembly instructions for the laptop, removed then re-
    > attached the keyboard ribbon cable. Problem solved.
    >
    > From your bag of tricks into mine. Most appreciated.
    >
    > Regards
    > Lodi

    Hi Lodi
    Your welcome, glad you got it fixed :)

    --
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
    SLED 10.0 SP1 x86_64 Kernel 2.6.16.54-0.2.3-smp
    up 12 days 2:54, 1 user, load average: 0.10, 0.12, 0.11

    Malcolm, Dec 18, 2007