    re-use?
    Other recommended solutions?
    Cheers in advance!

    Lukagain Cos ThistleBounce, Sep 22, 2009

  2. Lukagain Cos ThistleBounce

    J Brockley Guest

    "Lukagain Cos ThistleBounce" <> wrote in message
    > Is that magic gooey (yellow?) stuff any good. If so, having cleaned
    > the keyboard, how do you keep the magic gooey stuff itself clean for
    > re-use?
    > Other recommended solutions?
    > Cheers in advance!

    Yes it cleans and picks up bits though obviously only from the bits it can
    reach.
    It discolors over time and there is a color chart included that indicates
    when to throw away (get darker as it gets dirty).

    J Brockley, Sep 23, 2009

  3. On 23 Sep 2009 17:57:54 +1200, vitw <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 22 Sep 2009 16:19:22 +1200, Lukagain Cos ThistleBounce wrote:
    >
    >> Is that magic gooey (yellow?) stuff any good. If so, having cleaned the
    >> keyboard, how do you keep the magic gooey stuff itself clean for re-use?
    >> Other recommended solutions?
    >> Cheers in advance!

    >It's kinda mediocre. Takes several applications to make a significant
    >difference. Should keep clean if you keep it in its plastic jar between
    >uses.

    So it actually just accumulates the muck it gathers?

    Lukagain Cos ThistleBounce, Sep 23, 2009
  4. Lukagain Cos ThistleBounce

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs J Brockley wrote:
    > "Lukagain Cos ThistleBounce" <> wrote in
    > message news:...
    >> Is that magic gooey (yellow?) stuff any good. If so, having cleaned
    >> the keyboard, how do you keep the magic gooey stuff itself clean for
    >> re-use?
    >> Other recommended solutions?
    >> Cheers in advance!

    > Yes it cleans and picks up bits though obviously only from the bits
    > it can reach.
    > It discolors over time and there is a color chart included that
    > indicates when to throw away (get darker as it gets dirty).

    Will it get whatever it is uner my 'd' key out? I find that I keep missing
    them out and have to go back and hit them extra hard.
    --
    Shaun.

    If there is a 'd' missing anywhere in my post it's likely due to my laptop's
    keyboard 'd' key currently needing to be hit harder than the other keys.

    ~misfit~, Sep 23, 2009
  5. On Wed, 23 Sep 2009 23:08:34 +1200, "~misfit~"
    <> wrote:

    >Somewhere on teh intarwebs J Brockley wrote:
    >> "Lukagain Cos ThistleBounce" <> wrote in
    >> message news:...
    >>> Is that magic gooey (yellow?) stuff any good. If so, having cleaned
    >>> the keyboard, how do you keep the magic gooey stuff itself clean for
    >>> re-use?
    >>> Other recommended solutions?
    >>> Cheers in advance!

    >> Yes it cleans and picks up bits though obviously only from the bits
    >> it can reach.
    >> It discolors over time and there is a color chart included that
    >> indicates when to throw away (get darker as it gets dirty).

    >Will it get whatever it is uner my 'd' key out? I find that I keep missing
    >them out and have to go back and hit them extra hard.

    I use a fairly large artist's paintbrush (size 9?) for dusting my
    keyboards. That helps prevent things from getting in under the keys
    if done reasonably regularly. I found the gooey stuff was not so good
    at getting out dust and dirt as the brush was, and the brush is much
    easier to use. I don't think it would get in under the keys to get
    out something stuck in there though, unless your keyboard is quite
    open.

    The gooey stuff works quite well for getting off the stuck on dirt
    (the stuff your sweat sticks to the keys). I find that it does not
    pull it off very well, but the solvent in it comes off onto the keys
    and then a rub with a cloth will get the dirt off while the solvent
    lasts. Any other way of getting a solvent onto a keyboard is likely
    to wet through to the circuit board underneath - not a good idea. So
    I use the gooey stuff once or twice a year as necessary, and just dust
    the rest of the time with a cloth duster and my brush. I recommend
    not getting a black keyboard - it really shows the dust.

    Stephen Worthington, Sep 23, 2009
  6. Lukagain Cos ThistleBounce

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Stephen Worthington wrote:
    > On Wed, 23 Sep 2009 23:08:34 +1200, "~misfit~"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Somewhere on teh intarwebs J Brockley wrote:
    >>> "Lukagain Cos ThistleBounce" <> wrote in
    >>> message news:...
    >>>
    >>> Yes it cleans and picks up bits though obviously only from the bits
    >>> it can reach.
    >>> It discolors over time and there is a color chart included that
    >>> indicates when to throw away (get darker as it gets dirty).

    >> Will it get whatever it is uner my 'd' key out? I find that I keep
    >> missing them out and have to go back and hit them extra hard.

    > I use a fairly large artist's paintbrush (size 9?) for dusting my
    > keyboards. That helps prevent things from getting in under the keys
    > if done reasonably regularly. I found the gooey stuff was not so good
    > at getting out dust and dirt as the brush was, and the brush is much
    > easier to use. I don't think it would get in under the keys to get
    > out something stuck in there though, unless your keyboard is quite
    > open.
    >
    > The gooey stuff works quite well for getting off the stuck on dirt
    > (the stuff your sweat sticks to the keys). I find that it does not
    > pull it off very well, but the solvent in it comes off onto the keys
    > and then a rub with a cloth will get the dirt off while the solvent
    > lasts. Any other way of getting a solvent onto a keyboard is likely
    > to wet through to the circuit board underneath - not a good idea. So
    > I use the gooey stuff once or twice a year as necessary, and just dust
    > the rest of the time with a cloth duster and my brush. I recommend
    > not getting a black keyboard - it really shows the dust.

    Thanks. Unfortunately, as great as this ThinkPad T60 keyboard is are to use
    they're a female dog to try to clean. There's virtually no gap between the
    keys to get a brush in. I think maybe a low-powered compressor might be the
    answer? Perhaps I'll dismantle it an give it a shake/tap....

    Cheers,

    ~misfit~, Sep 24, 2009
  7. In message <>, Lukagain Cos
    ThistleBounce wrote:

    > Other recommended solutions?

    Toothpicks. Wonderfully versatile cleaning implements that can get into all
    kinds of nooks and crannies with low risk of damaging the items being
    cleaned. Always keep a tub handy.

    Make sure they're the bamboo ones.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Sep 24, 2009