    drive and power up, except for ram count. I verified that the floppy drive
    works and boots prior to removing old hdd and installing new hdd. I'm at a
    lose.
    Mad Dog Mike @ 56Kers . com, Apr 5, 2006

  2. X-No-Archive: YES
    Mad Dog Mike @ 56Kers . com [] has entered into
    testimony
    Xns979BCCA6BD20cadmaningpNSmailcity@216.168.3.44

    > I have an IBM Thinkpad 560e laptop with a failing hdd. I bought a new
    > hdd and installed it. Nothing happens when I place a boot floppy in
    > the floppy drive and power up, except for ram count. I verified that
    > the floppy drive works and boots prior to removing old hdd and
    > installing new hdd. I'm at a lose.

    You need to set up the bios to boot from floppy first.

    --

    Skepticult® Member# 581-00504-208
    ChadwickStone at Gmail dot com
    Chadwick Stone©, Apr 5, 2006

  3. "Chadwick Stone©" <chad_stone@127.0.0.1> wrote in news:jBHYf.371333
    $:

    > Mad Dog Mike @ 56Kers . com [] has entered

    into
    > testimony
    > Xns979BCCA6BD20cadmaningpNSmailcity@216.168.3.44
    >
    >> I have an IBM Thinkpad 560e laptop with a failing hdd. I bought a new
    >> hdd and installed it. Nothing happens when I place a boot floppy in
    >> the floppy drive and power up, except for ram count. I verified that
    >> the floppy drive works and boots prior to removing old hdd and
    >> installing new hdd. I'm at a lose.

    > You need to set up the bios to boot from floppy first.

    I assume this is already done. As I said before, I am able to boot from
    floppy with the old hdd installed.
    Mad Dog Mike @ 56Kers . com, Apr 5, 2006
  4. X-No-Archive: YES
    Xns979BCFD90E49FcadmaningpNSmailcity@216.168.3.44

    > "Chadwick Stone©" <chad_stone@127.0.0.1> wrote in news:jBHYf.371333
    > $:

    >> Mad Dog Mike @ 56Kers . com [] has entered
    >> into testimony
    >> Xns979BCCA6BD20cadmaningpNSmailcity@216.168.3.44
    >>
    >>> I have an IBM Thinkpad 560e laptop with a failing hdd. I bought a
    >>> new hdd and installed it. Nothing happens when I place a boot
    >>> floppy in the floppy drive and power up, except for ram count. I
    >>> verified that the floppy drive works and boots prior to removing
    >>> old hdd and installing new hdd. I'm at a lose.

    >> You need to set up the bios to boot from floppy first.
    >>

    > I assume this is already done. As I said before, I am able to boot
    > from floppy with the old hdd installed.

    You probably loosened a cable on the floppy while you were replacing
    your hdd.

    Chadwick Stone©, Apr 5, 2006
  5. "Chadwick Stone©" <chad_stone@127.0.0.1> wrote in news:CTHYf.408260
    $:

    > Mad Dog Mike @ 56Kers . com [] has entered

    into
    > testimony
    > Xns979BCFD90E49FcadmaningpNSmailcity@216.168.3.44
    >
    >> "Chadwick Stone©" <chad_stone@127.0.0.1> wrote in news:jBHYf.371333
    >> $:

    >>> Mad Dog Mike @ 56Kers . com [] has entered
    >>> into testimony
    >>> Xns979BCCA6BD20cadmaningpNSmailcity@216.168.3.44

    >>> You need to set up the bios to boot from floppy first.
    >>>

    >> I assume this is already done. As I said before, I am able to boot
    >> from floppy with the old hdd installed.

    > You probably loosened a cable on the floppy while you were replacing
    > your hdd.

    This makes no since because I've installed and reinstalled the drives
    numerous times now with the same results (old hdd=floppy works, new
    hdd=floppy no works)
    Mad Dog Mike @ 56Kers . com, Apr 5, 2006
  6. X-No-Archive: YES
    Xns979BD487425BAcadmaningpNSmailcity@216.168.3.44

    > "Chadwick Stone©" <chad_stone@127.0.0.1> wrote in news:CTHYf.408260
    > $:

    >> Mad Dog Mike @ 56Kers . com [] has entered
    >> into testimony
    >> Xns979BCFD90E49FcadmaningpNSmailcity@216.168.3.44
    >>
    >>> "Chadwick Stone©" <chad_stone@127.0.0.1> wrote in news:jBHYf.371333
    >>> $:

    >>> I assume this is already done. As I said before, I am able to boot
    >>> from floppy with the old hdd installed.

    >> You probably loosened a cable on the floppy while you were replacing
    >> your hdd.
    >>

    > This makes no since because I've installed and reinstalled the drives
    > numerous times now with the same results (old hdd=floppy works, new
    > hdd=floppy no works)

    Sounds like you have a digital poltergeist in your new hdd... I
    recommend an internet excorcism or a new laptop.

    Chadwick Stone©, Apr 5, 2006
  7. Mad Dog Mike @ 56Kers . com

    Ben Myers Guest

    Go into the BIOS setup and see if there is an option to set the hard disk
    parameters manually. Be sure to save any changes when exiting.

    Ben

    Ben Myers, Apr 6, 2006
  8. Mad Dog Mike @ 56Kers . com

    Dan Evans Guest

    "Mad Dog Mike @ 56Kers . com" <> wrote in message
    >I have an IBM Thinkpad 560e laptop with a failing hdd. I bought a new hdd
    > and installed it. Nothing happens when I place a boot floppy in the floppy
    > drive and power up, except for ram count. I verified that the floppy drive
    > works and boots prior to removing old hdd and installing new hdd. I'm at a
    > lose.

    Is the BIOS recognising the new hard drive correctly? Do jumpers (if any) on
    the new drive match the old.

    Dan

    Dan Evans, Apr 6, 2006
  9. Howdy!

    "Mad Dog Mike @ 56Kers . com" <> wrote in message
    > I have an IBM Thinkpad 560e laptop with a failing hdd. I bought a new hdd
    > and installed it. Nothing happens when I place a boot floppy in the floppy
    > drive and power up, except for ram count. I verified that the floppy drive
    > works and boots prior to removing old hdd and installing new hdd. I'm at a
    > lose.

    How big (in gigabytes) is the old drive, how big is the new one?

    RwP
    Ralph Wade Phillips, Apr 8, 2006