Laptop HDD

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Jeff Strickland, Jan 22, 2009.

  1. I posted a few weeks ago about a failed HDD in a laptop. I pulled the HDD,
    researched the part number and found that I could go from 60G to 80G without
    changing anything that could lead to instability or anything like that.

    Now I have a 60G drive that I'd like to pull data out of, if possible.

    The drive was not erased, so recovery strategies (software apps) are not
    what I need, I think. I believe the drive itself is having a hardware
    problem.

    My question to the group is, how much should I expect to pay to have the
    drive tested?

    If the drive was in my desktop and had the same problem, my strategy would
    have been to install a new drive, set the defective one as a Slave, then
    attempt to see what is on it. My thinking is a mechanical failure, which
    would mean the data is gone. But, if the problem is only a boot sector
    issue, then the data should be discoverable since in a slave environment,
    booting is not necessary.

    Since the drive is in a laptop, I don't know anything about making slaves,
    and I know the box that the drive came out of cannot support a slave, so I'm
    at the whim of the guy at the repair shop and I want to get an idea of what
    the price might be to take up his time. My data has value, but perhaps not
    as much value as the shop time will cost.
    Jeff Strickland, Jan 22, 2009

  2. Jeff Strickland

    Baron Guest

    Jeff Strickland wrote:

    > I posted a few weeks ago about a failed HDD in a laptop. I pulled the
    > HDD, researched the part number and found that I could go from 60G to
    > 80G without changing anything that could lead to instability or
    > anything like that.
    >
    > Now I have a 60G drive that I'd like to pull data out of, if possible.
    >
    > The drive was not erased, so recovery strategies (software apps) are
    > not what I need, I think. I believe the drive itself is having a
    > hardware problem.
    >
    > My question to the group is, how much should I expect to pay to have
    > the drive tested?
    >
    > If the drive was in my desktop and had the same problem, my strategy
    > would have been to install a new drive, set the defective one as a
    > Slave, then attempt to see what is on it. My thinking is a mechanical
    > failure, which would mean the data is gone. But, if the problem is
    > only a boot sector issue, then the data should be discoverable since
    > in a slave environment, booting is not necessary.
    >
    > Since the drive is in a laptop, I don't know anything about making
    > slaves, and I know the box that the drive came out of cannot support a
    > slave, so I'm at the whim of the guy at the repair shop and I want to
    > get an idea of what the price might be to take up his time. My data
    > has value, but perhaps not as much value as the shop time will cost.

    Assuming its not sata then just buy a 2.5" to 3.5" IDE adaptor and put
    it into your desktop as a slave. My adaptor cost me a couple of
    minutes work.

    --
    Best Regards:
    Baron.
    Baron, Jan 22, 2009

  3. "Baron" <> wrote in message
    > Jeff Strickland wrote:
    >
    >> I posted a few weeks ago about a failed HDD in a laptop. I pulled the
    >> HDD, researched the part number and found that I could go from 60G to
    >> 80G without changing anything that could lead to instability or
    >> anything like that.
    >>
    >> Now I have a 60G drive that I'd like to pull data out of, if possible.
    >>
    >> The drive was not erased, so recovery strategies (software apps) are
    >> not what I need, I think. I believe the drive itself is having a
    >> hardware problem.
    >>
    >> My question to the group is, how much should I expect to pay to have
    >> the drive tested?
    >>
    >> If the drive was in my desktop and had the same problem, my strategy
    >> would have been to install a new drive, set the defective one as a
    >> Slave, then attempt to see what is on it. My thinking is a mechanical
    >> failure, which would mean the data is gone. But, if the problem is
    >> only a boot sector issue, then the data should be discoverable since
    >> in a slave environment, booting is not necessary.
    >>
    >> Since the drive is in a laptop, I don't know anything about making
    >> slaves, and I know the box that the drive came out of cannot support a
    >> slave, so I'm at the whim of the guy at the repair shop and I want to
    >> get an idea of what the price might be to take up his time. My data
    >> has value, but perhaps not as much value as the shop time will cost.

    > Assuming its not sata then just buy a 2.5" to 3.5" IDE adaptor and put
    > it into your desktop as a slave. My adaptor cost me a couple of
    > minutes work.

    Talk to me!

    It's an IDE drive (ATA-100) built by Toshiba, P/N MK6026GAX.

    I have several ribbon cables, but the pin spacing is not compatible with the
    drive. Is that the adaptor I need? By your descriptioin, I read the adaptor
    as hardware that fits the small drive into the large drive bay. I can do
    that, but if the cables do not fit, then the problem simply moves from one
    place to another.

    The connector on the drive has 44 pins on the data side and 4 more pins on
    what I assume is the power side. All pins are physically on the same
    connector, the arrangement is 4 pins, a space, then 44 pins with Pin 1
    indicated. I assume Pin 1 is the first pin for the data connector. There is
    a missing pin at the Pin 19 location, and four more pins beyond the Pin 40
    location.

    The pitch of these pins does not match the pitch of the holes in the ribbon
    cable.
    Jeff Strickland, Jan 22, 2009
  4. Jeff Strickland

    - Bobb - Guest

    Jeff ,

    go here:
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=ata notebook adapter
    for vendors - pick one like :
    http://www.shop4tech.com/user.htm?go=view_item&id=6763&r=183

    for $6.99 they make a small adapter that basically bends/aligns the pins

    I've got a few - WELL worth the money

    With that you hook up your laptop drive to your desktop cabling.
    I leave cover off my PC and rest the laptop drive/adapter/cable on a book
    externally and copy data to desktop drive.

    - Bobb -, Jan 22, 2009
  5. Jeff Strickland

    Baron Guest

    Jeff Strickland wrote:

    > "Baron" <> wrote in message
    >> Jeff Strickland wrote:
    >>
    >>> I posted a few weeks ago about a failed HDD in a laptop. I pulled
    >>> the HDD, researched the part number and found that I could go from
    >>> 60G to 80G without changing anything that could lead to instability
    >>> or anything like that.
    >>>
    >>> Now I have a 60G drive that I'd like to pull data out of, if
    >>> possible.
    >>>
    >>> The drive was not erased, so recovery strategies (software apps) are
    >>> not what I need, I think. I believe the drive itself is having a
    >>> hardware problem.
    >>>
    >>> My question to the group is, how much should I expect to pay to have
    >>> the drive tested?
    >>>
    >>> If the drive was in my desktop and had the same problem, my strategy
    >>> would have been to install a new drive, set the defective one as a
    >>> Slave, then attempt to see what is on it. My thinking is a
    >>> mechanical failure, which would mean the data is gone. But, if the
    >>> problem is only a boot sector issue, then the data should be
    >>> discoverable since in a slave environment, booting is not necessary.
    >>>
    >>> Since the drive is in a laptop, I don't know anything about making
    >>> slaves, and I know the box that the drive came out of cannot support
    >>> a slave, so I'm at the whim of the guy at the repair shop and I want
    >>> to get an idea of what the price might be to take up his time. My
    >>> data has value, but perhaps not as much value as the shop time will
    >>> cost.

    >> Assuming its not sata then just buy a 2.5" to 3.5" IDE adaptor and
    >> put
    >> it into your desktop as a slave. My adaptor cost me a couple of
    >> minutes work.
    >>

    > Talk to me!
    >
    > It's an IDE drive (ATA-100) built by Toshiba, P/N MK6026GAX.
    >
    > I have several ribbon cables, but the pin spacing is not compatible
    > with the drive. Is that the adaptor I need? By your descriptioin, I
    > read the adaptor as hardware that fits the small drive into the large
    > drive bay. I can do that, but if the cables do not fit, then the
    > problem simply moves from one place to another.
    >
    > The connector on the drive has 44 pins on the data side and 4 more
    > pins on what I assume is the power side. All pins are physically on
    > the same connector, the arrangement is 4 pins, a space, then 44 pins
    > with Pin 1 indicated. I assume Pin 1 is the first pin for the data
    > connector. There is a missing pin at the Pin 19 location, and four
    > more pins beyond the Pin 40 location.
    >
    > The pitch of these pins does not match the pitch of the holes in the
    > ribbon cable.

    Looks like Bob done the work for me ! :)

    I salvaged a connector from an old Laptop and wired it manually to a 40
    pin Ide header. The 4 spare pins are power +5v & gnd.

    --
    Best Regards:
    Baron.
    Baron, Jan 22, 2009
  6. Thanks Bobb, that's the connector I need.

    How do I teach the drive that it's a slave instead of a master? If I don't
    have this set, won't the computer try to boot from both of my drives?

    Jeff Strickland, Jan 22, 2009
  7. Jeff Strickland

    - Bobb - Guest

    On the 2.5 in drives I've seen - there are two pins that designate
    primary/secondary
    Usually no jumper = master, so put a jumper on those pins for slave , or set
    channel for cable select
    UltraATA cables with the 3 colored (ie, blue, black, and grey) connectors
    support cable select

    http://www.toshibastorage.com/techdocs/MK6026GAXUserGuide.pdf
    See page 2 - Master/Slave Settings

    ** DO pay attention to pin 1 /cable orientation **
    Usually a 3.5" disk cable has a "plug" in one of the pinholes and the 3.5"
    IDE disk drive connector has a pin missing so can "only put the cable on the
    correct way."

    Often this aftermarket connector has no pin missing for key and you have to
    cut/ bend the correct pin over to allow the cable to go onto the adapter.
    Why? Just because they want to bother with it I guess.

    So look at the toshiba picture and the IDE cable to be sure pin 1 on the
    2.5" drive ( in the picture above ) stays pin 1 on IDE cable (red stripe =
    pin 1).

    Bobb

    - Bobb -, Jan 23, 2009
  8. Jeff Strickland

    Baron Guest

    - Bobb - wrote:

    > On the 2.5 in drives I've seen - there are two pins that designate
    > primary/secondary
    > Usually no jumper = master, so put a jumper on those pins for slave ,
    > or set channel for cable select.

    All the IDE drives in laptops I've come across are usually set for cable
    select.

    > UltraATA cables with the 3 colored (ie, blue, black, and grey)
    > connectors support cable select
    >
    > http://www.toshibastorage.com/techdocs/MK6026GAXUserGuide.pdf
    > See page 2 - Master/Slave Settings
    >
    > ** DO pay attention to pin 1 /cable orientation **
    > Usually a 3.5" disk cable has a "plug" in one of the pinholes and the
    > 3.5" IDE disk drive connector has a pin missing so can "only put the
    > cable on the correct way."
    >
    > Often this aftermarket connector has no pin missing for key and you
    > have to cut/ bend the correct pin over to allow the cable to go onto
    > the adapter.
    > Why? Just because they want to bother with it I guess.

    I just heat a spare pin, so its hot enough to melt the plastic, and push
    it into the connector to make a hole so that the connector fits without
    damaging the male plug.

    --
    Best Regards:
    Baron.