Laptop HDD

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by jdm, Mar 13, 2008.

  1. jdm

    jdm Guest

    Hi Everyone, can I please have some help.

    I have a Compaq V2418 with a Toshiba 40G HDD MK4025GAS ATA

    I bought a western Digital 120G Western Digital Scorpio 120GB 5400RPM ATA100
    8MB Notebook HDD (WD1200VE WD1200BEVE)

    I went to change them over and it has a different connector.

    The Toshiba has like V pins that slot on to a blade and is on two levels,
    the Western Digital has round pins in two rows but on the same plane.

    I did not know there were two types of ATA100 connectors.

    Hopefully the supplier can take it back and replace it with the correct one.

    What is the Toshiba connector called and can you still get them?

    Thanks

    John

    jdm, Mar 13, 2008

  2. jdm

    SteveM Guest

    "jdm" <not@home> wrote in news:47d8ec4d$:

    > Hi Everyone, can I please have some help.
    >
    > I have a Compaq V2418 with a Toshiba 40G HDD MK4025GAS ATA
    >
    > I bought a western Digital 120G Western Digital Scorpio 120GB 5400RPM
    > ATA100 8MB Notebook HDD (WD1200VE WD1200BEVE)
    >
    > I went to change them over and it has a different connector.
    >
    > The Toshiba has like V pins that slot on to a blade and is on two
    > levels, the Western Digital has round pins in two rows but on the same
    > plane.
    >
    > I did not know there were two types of ATA100 connectors.
    >
    > Hopefully the supplier can take it back and replace it with the
    > correct one.
    >
    > What is the Toshiba connector called and can you still get them?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > John

    It's an adapter on the Toshiba drive. Just pull it of and transfer to the
    new drive.

    SteveM

    SteveM, Mar 13, 2008