    this on desktop drives.

    Thanks for your help,
    Mike

    Michael Brown, Dec 28, 2005

  2. Can it be done? Anyone?

    Thanksm
    Michael

    Michael Brown, Dec 31, 2005

  3. Michael Brown

    bambam Guest

    On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 23:22:16 -0500, Michael Brown wrote:

    > "Michael Brown" <> wrote in message
    >> What is the best way to safely "clone" a laptop hard drive? I'm trying to
    >> install a larger drive and don't want to start over from scratch. Is
    >> there a way? I've tried Ghost, and it seemed to go sucessfully, but when
    >> it was time to install and restart, it never worked. I've had no problems
    >> doing this on desktop drives.

    > Can it be done? Anyone?

    I recently had a similar situation to yours. After a bit of study I
    decided to get a 2.5 to 3.5 hdd adaptor-

    http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=HD-108&cat=HDD

    Then you can work in the desktop environment that you know and trust. :)

    bambam, Dec 31, 2005
  4. Thanks, I'll try that.

    Mike

    Michael Brown, Dec 31, 2005
  5. I've found something that may just work just as I need. It's called Casper
    XP. I'm downloading the trial version that is fully functional, but does
    not support drive resizing. At lest I'll know if it will work, then can get
    the full version which does.

    Mike

    Michael Brown, Dec 31, 2005
  6. Michael Brown

    Erick Pratt Guest

    What I use here in the shop is Norton Ghost. It creates a bootable
    floppy/CDROM. However, since you cannot connect 2 laptop hard drives into a
    laptop simultaneously, you would still need to get a 2.5-3.5 adapter (only 1
    of first cl;oning to a dkestop hard drive, 2 if going directly from laptop
    drive to laptop drive). Of course, you will need to use a desktop PC. Just
    make sure you are cloning from the proper source to the proper destination,
    as goign the wrong way is not reversable.

    Erick Pratt, Jan 2, 2006
  7. Yup, Casper XP worked like a charm. No problems at all.

    Mike

    Michael Brown, Jan 27, 2006