    There is none built in as part of the Bios and I cant get to Windows
    to disable Norton

    Thanks for any help

    franko, Aug 27, 2007

  2. franko

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "franko" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Toshiba satellite A70 (canada)
    >
    > The hard drive appears to have failed. I cant boot to windows (XP
    > sp2).
    >
    > I managed to get to the Bios and reset the boot order to place the CD
    > drive ahead of the HD.
    > I inserted the Recovery CD but after it starts tthe restore it quits
    > with Error 58 saying that it cant write to the boot sector as an
    > antivirus is probably running.
    >
    > There is none built in as part of the Bios and I cant get to Windows
    > to disable Norton
    >
    > Thanks for any help

    If the drive "appears to have failed", why would you think the recovery CD
    would be able to write to it? Dead is dead.

    WhzzKdd, Aug 27, 2007

  3. WhzzKdd wrote:
    > "franko" <> wrote in message
    >> Toshiba satellite A70 (canada)
    >>
    >> The hard drive appears to have failed. I cant boot to windows (XP
    >> sp2).
    >>
    >> I managed to get to the Bios and reset the boot order to place the CD
    >> drive ahead of the HD.
    >> I inserted the Recovery CD but after it starts tthe restore it quits
    >> with Error 58 saying that it cant write to the boot sector as an
    >> antivirus is probably running.
    >>
    >> There is none built in as part of the Bios and I cant get to Windows
    >> to disable Norton
    >>
    >> Thanks for any help
    >>

    > If the drive "appears to have failed", why would you think the recovery CD
    > would be able to write to it? Dead is dead.

    The porch light is on, but nobody home.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Aug 27, 2007
  4. On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 02:19:25 -0000, franko <>
    wrote:

    >Toshiba satellite A70 (canada)
    >
    >The hard drive appears to have failed. I cant boot to windows (XP
    >sp2).
    >
    >I managed to get to the Bios and reset the boot order to place the CD
    >drive ahead of the HD.
    >I inserted the Recovery CD but after it starts tthe restore it quits
    >with Error 58 saying that it cant write to the boot sector as an
    >antivirus is probably running.
    >
    >There is none built in as part of the Bios and I cant get to Windows
    >to disable Norton
    >
    >Thanks for any help

    If your HD won't boot and you think the files are still accessible,
    create a bootable CD
    http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/
    then copy/recover files to a second drive, flashdrive or whatever.

    Another option is to use a HD enclosure. Attach it by USB to another
    computer.

    Steve M.

    Steve Meyerson, Aug 27, 2007
  5. On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 12:15:00 GMT, Steve Meyerson
    <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 02:19:25 -0000, franko <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Toshiba satellite A70 (canada)
    >>
    >>The hard drive appears to have failed. I cant boot to windows (XP
    >>sp2).
    >>
    >>I managed to get to the Bios and reset the boot order to place the CD
    >>drive ahead of the HD.
    >>I inserted the Recovery CD but after it starts tthe restore it quits
    >>with Error 58 saying that it cant write to the boot sector as an
    >>antivirus is probably running.
    >>
    >>There is none built in as part of the Bios and I cant get to Windows
    >>to disable Norton
    >>
    >>Thanks for any help

    >If your HD won't boot and you think the files are still accessible,
    >create a bootable CD
    >http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/
    >then copy/recover files to a second drive, flashdrive or whatever.
    >
    >Another option is to use a HD enclosure. Attach it by USB to another
    >computer.
    >
    >Steve M.

    SATA & IDE HD enclosure about 12 bucks...
    http://meritline.com/external-hard-drive-enclosure.html

    Steve Meyerson, Aug 27, 2007
  6. franko

    franko Guest

    On Aug 27, 8:32 am, Steve Meyerson <> wrote:
    > On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 12:15:00 GMT, Steve Meyerson
    >

    > <> wrote:
    > >On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 02:19:25 -0000, franko <>
    > >wrote:

    > >>Toshiba satellite A70 (canada)

    > >>The hard drive appears to have failed. I cant boot to windows (XP
    > >>sp2).

    > >>I managed to get to the Bios and reset the boot order to place the CD
    > >>drive ahead of the HD.
    > >>I inserted the Recovery CD but after it starts tthe restore it quits
    > >>with Error 58 saying that it cant write to the boot sector as an
    > >>antivirus is probably running.

    > >>There is none built in as part of the Bios and I cant get to Windows
    > >>to disable Norton

    > >>Thanks for any help

    > >If your HD won't boot and you think the files are still accessible,
    > >create a bootable CD
    > >http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/
    > >then copy/recover files to a second drive, flashdrive or whatever.

    > >Another option is to use a HD enclosure. Attach it by USB to another
    > >computer.

    > >Steve M.

    > SATA & IDE HD enclosure about 12 bucks...http://meritline.com/external-hard-drive-enclosure.html

    Thank you Steve.