Laptop has a unique identifying code number

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Radium, Jun 30, 2007.

  1. Radium

    Radium Guest

    On Jun 18, 10:28 am, Whiskers <> wrote:

    > Your laptop has a unique identifying code number by which it
    > is identified by any network to which it tries to connect

    Is it theoretically-possible to store this number in the laptop's HDD
    platters - instead of the wifi card -- so that I can change this code
    whenever I want to?

    Most laptops will store this code in a hard-wired chip on the wifi
    card. If it's stored in a magnetic disc instead, it is RAM, and hence
    much easier to modify. Right?

    Radium, Jun 30, 2007

  2. Radium wrote:
    > On Jun 18, 10:28 am, Whiskers <> wrote:
    >

    >>Your laptop has a unique identifying code number by which it
    >>is identified by any network to which it tries to connect

    > Is it theoretically-possible to store this number in the laptop's HDD
    > platters - instead of the wifi card -- so that I can change this code
    > whenever I want to?
    >
    > Most laptops will store this code in a hard-wired chip on the wifi
    > card. If it's stored in a magnetic disc instead, it is RAM, and hence
    > much easier to modify. Right?

    It can be done, but sometimes it ain't easy. Google "spoof MAC address".

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jun 30, 2007

  3. Radium

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Fri, 29 Jun 2007 22:39:11 -0400, Rôgêr wrote:

    > Radium wrote:
    >> On Jun 18, 10:28 am, Whiskers <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Your laptop has a unique identifying code number by which it
    >>>is identified by any network to which it tries to connect

    >> Is it theoretically-possible to store this number in the laptop's HDD
    >> platters - instead of the wifi card -- so that I can change this code
    >> whenever I want to?
    >>
    >> Most laptops will store this code in a hard-wired chip on the wifi
    >> card. If it's stored in a magnetic disc instead, it is RAM, and hence
    >> much easier to modify. Right?

    > It can be done, but sometimes it ain't easy. Google "spoof MAC address".

    -
    If you have a router that can clone a MAC address can't you just enter
    any old mac address in it?

    Meat Plow, Jun 30, 2007
  4. Meat Plow wrote:
    > On Fri, 29 Jun 2007 22:39:11 -0400, Rôgêr wrote:
    >

    >>Radium wrote:

    >>>Is it theoretically-possible to store this number in the laptop's HDD
    >>>platters - instead of the wifi card -- so that I can change this code
    >>>whenever I want to?
    >>>
    >>>Most laptops will store this code in a hard-wired chip on the wifi
    >>>card. If it's stored in a magnetic disc instead, it is RAM, and hence
    >>>much easier to modify. Right?

    >>It can be done, but sometimes it ain't easy. Google "spoof MAC address".

    > -
    > If you have a router that can clone a MAC address can't you just enter
    > any old mac address in it?

    Yeah, most routers I've set up had "cloning" available, theoretically so
    you could spoof a modem's MAC address. But he's wanting to do it with
    his laptop.

    =?windows-1252?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jun 30, 2007
  5. Radium wrote:

    > On Jun 18, 10:28 am, Whiskers <> wrote:
    >
    >> Your laptop has a unique identifying code number by which it
    >> is identified by any network to which it tries to connect

    > Is it theoretically-possible to store this number in the laptop's HDD
    > platters - instead of the wifi card -- so that I can change this code
    > whenever I want to?
    >
    > Most laptops will store this code in a hard-wired chip on the wifi
    > card. If it's stored in a magnetic disc instead, it is RAM, and hence
    > much easier to modify. Right?

    It is not a number identifying the laptop, just the NIC(s).
    Look for "locally administered network address" or something similar in
    advanced network driver configuration.

    Walter Mautner, Jun 30, 2007
  6. Radium

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2007-06-30, Walter Mautner <> wrote:
    > Radium wrote:
    >
    >> On Jun 18, 10:28 am, Whiskers <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Your laptop has a unique identifying code number by which it
    >>> is identified by any network to which it tries to connect

    >> Is it theoretically-possible to store this number in the laptop's HDD
    >> platters - instead of the wifi card -- so that I can change this code
    >> whenever I want to?
    >>
    >> Most laptops will store this code in a hard-wired chip on the wifi
    >> card. If it's stored in a magnetic disc instead, it is RAM, and hence
    >> much easier to modify. Right?

    > It is not a number identifying the laptop, just the NIC(s).
    > Look for "locally administered network address" or something similar in
    > advanced network driver configuration.

    I suppose if he tries to change the WiFi NIC in his laptop there's a
    sporting chance he'll break something and end up having to get a new
    laptop. I was just directing him to the expensive option directly ;))

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Jun 30, 2007
  7. Radium

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    Radium wrote:
    > On Jun 18, 10:28 am, Whiskers <> wrote:
    >
    >> Your laptop has a unique identifying code number by which it
    >> is identified by any network to which it tries to connect

    > Is it theoretically-possible to store this number in the laptop's HDD
    > platters - instead of the wifi card -- so that I can change this code
    > whenever I want to?
    >
    > Most laptops will store this code in a hard-wired chip on the wifi
    > card. If it's stored in a magnetic disc instead, it is RAM, and hence
    > much easier to modify. Right?

    Why **** around with that?

    Disable the on board adapter, and add another either via USB or PC-Card.
    It isn't rocket science.

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus

    Oldus Fartus, Jun 30, 2007
  8. Radium

    Radium Guest

    On Jun 30, 6:35 am, Whiskers <> wrote:

    > I suppose if he tries to change the WiFi NIC in his laptop there's a
    > sporting chance he'll break something and end up having to get a new
    > laptop. I was just directing him to the expensive option directly ;))

    If I have megabucks in my account, could I pay someone to build me a
    customized laptop with a software-based NIC that I can change whenever
    I want to?

    If the NIC is stored in the HDD platters, I can easily change it w/out
    causing any physical damage. Right?

    Radium, Jun 30, 2007
  9. Radium

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2007-06-30, Radium <> wrote:
    > On Jun 30, 6:35 am, Whiskers <> wrote:
    >
    >> I suppose if he tries to change the WiFi NIC in his laptop there's a
    >> sporting chance he'll break something and end up having to get a new
    >> laptop. I was just directing him to the expensive option directly ;))

    > If I have megabucks in my account, could I pay someone to build me a
    > customized laptop with a software-based NIC that I can change whenever
    > I want to?

    <shrug>

    > If the NIC is stored in the HDD platters, I can easily change it w/out
    > causing any physical damage. Right?

    The Network Interface Card has nothing to do with your Hard Disc.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Jun 30, 2007
  10. Radium

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "Radium" <> wrote in message
    > On Jun 30, 6:35 am, Whiskers <> wrote:
    >
    >> I suppose if he tries to change the WiFi NIC in his laptop there's a
    >> sporting chance he'll break something and end up having to get a new
    >> laptop. I was just directing him to the expensive option directly ;))

    > If I have megabucks in my account, could I pay someone to build me a
    > customized laptop with a software-based NIC that I can change whenever
    > I want to?
    >
    > If the NIC is stored in the HDD platters, I can easily change it w/out
    > causing any physical damage. Right?

    No, it can't be done. A NIC is a piece of physical hardware designed to
    connect (network) to another piece of hardware. It's NOT software. You can't
    put hardware on a hard drive.

    WhzzKdd, Jun 30, 2007
  11. Radium

    Larry Guest

    Radium wrote:

    > On Jun 30, 6:35 am, Whiskers <> wrote:
    >
    >> I suppose if he tries to change the WiFi NIC in his laptop there's a
    >> sporting chance he'll break something and end up having to get a new
    >> laptop. I was just directing him to the expensive option directly ;))

    > If I have megabucks in my account, could I pay someone to build me a
    > customized laptop with a software-based NIC that I can change whenever I
    > want to?
    >
    > If the NIC is stored in the HDD platters, I can easily change it w/out
    > causing any physical damage. Right?

    Right, no problem. Start by opening you harddrives; most expensive first.

    Don't worry about dust or fingerprints; Windex works wonders.

    Larry, Jun 30, 2007
  12. Radium <> wrote in

    > Is it theoretically-possible to store this number in the laptop's HDD
    > platters - instead of the wifi card -- so that I can change this code
    > whenever I want to?

    No! Not thoretically. Not practically. Not potentially. No way.

    > Most laptops will store this code in a hard-wired chip on the wifi
    > card. If it's stored in a magnetic disc instead, it is RAM, and hence
    > much easier to modify. Right?

    No! Because it's just not the way it works. It's the Wifi card, or the NIC
    device which by a set of strict and stringent standards accesses a network,
    or the Internet.

    Every device which access a network or the Internet has a unique MAC address,
    "Media Access Control" address. Your Network Interface Card (NIC) has a
    unique MAC address.

    Your choices to access the internet with a different MAC address of your NIC
    card(s) are 1) change out your NIC cards, or 2) get a router, which also has
    a MAC address; but that MAC address is what the Internet "sees," and on many
    routers, that MAC address can be "cloned" or "spoofed" through a very simple
    interface.

    --

    http://www.misternicehands.com/

    (Click on either hand...)

    If: You think Huey Newton is a cookie or
    you point to Hootie and the Blowfish as
    evidence of the end of racism in America...

    then, you *might* be a Right-Wing Conservative Republican!

    Bucky Breeder, Jun 30, 2007
  13. Radium

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "Larry" <larry@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
    > Radium wrote:
    >
    >> On Jun 30, 6:35 am, Whiskers <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I suppose if he tries to change the WiFi NIC in his laptop there's a
    >>> sporting chance he'll break something and end up having to get a new
    >>> laptop. I was just directing him to the expensive option directly ;))

    >> If I have megabucks in my account, could I pay someone to build me a
    >> customized laptop with a software-based NIC that I can change whenever I
    >> want to?
    >>
    >> If the NIC is stored in the HDD platters, I can easily change it w/out
    >> causing any physical damage. Right?

    > Right, no problem. Start by opening you harddrives; most expensive first.
    >
    > Don't worry about dust or fingerprints; Windex works wonders.

    And don't forget to be extremely cautious drilling your attachment holes -
    you don't want to make those platters run out-of-balance.

    WhzzKdd, Jun 30, 2007
  14. Radium

    Radium Guest

    Radium, Jul 1, 2007
  15. Radium

    Radium Guest

    On Jun 30, 1:55 pm, Bucky Breeder
    <> wrote:

    > Your choices to access the internet with a different MAC address of your NIC
    > card(s) are 1) change out your NIC cards, or 2) get a router, which also has
    > a MAC address; but that MAC address is what the Internet "sees," and on many
    > routers, that MAC address can be "cloned" or "spoofed" through a very simple
    > interface.

    Lets say I do the #1 and/or #2, you described:

    A. Is there a way that persons running the hot-spot can figure out my
    "true" MAC address?

    B. Can anyone in the area who intercepts the wireless signals between
    my laptop and the hot-spot figure out my "true" MAC address?

    C. Is there an efficient way to prevent A and B from happening while
    still accessing the net via wireless hot-spots?

    Radium, Jul 1, 2007
  16. Radium

    Mike Easter Guest

    Radium wrote:
    > A. Is there a way that persons running the hot-spot can figure out my
    > "true" MAC address?
    >
    > B. Can anyone in the area who intercepts the wireless signals between
    > my laptop and the hot-spot figure out my "true" MAC address?
    >
    > C. Is there an efficient way to prevent A and B from happening while
    > still accessing the net via wireless hot-spots?

    For someone who has total disdain for the public or society at large,
    you spend a lot of time and energy asking that public question for which
    you seek answers.

    You claim to have a normal positive affinity for or 'compatibility with'
    individuals, but you simultaneously claim to wish to disgust and offend
    'us' [tinu-there-is-no-us].

    Radium wrote:
    > all I gotta do is vent my
    > socially-unacceptable opinions/thoughts

    It would seem to me that you are a potential pariah who should not be
    aided in any efforts or interests or information or support.

    I'm a member of the society at large which you have no use or respect
    for -- so I perceive that you are my enemy or adversary.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Jul 1, 2007
  17. Radium

    Radium Guest

    On Jun 30, 7:06 pm, "Mike Easter" <> wrote:

    > For someone who has total disdain for the public or society at large,
    > you spend a lot of time and energy asking that public question for which
    > you seek answers.

    I am asking a group a question. I am not asking the public. There is a
    difference.

    I support both groups and individuals.

    > You claim to have a normal positive affinity for or 'compatibility with'
    > individuals, but you simultaneously claim to wish to disgust and offend
    > 'us' [tinu-there-is-no-us].

    I don't want to disgust 'us'. I want to disgust 'them'.

    > It would seem to me that you are a potential pariah who should not be
    > aided in any efforts or interests or information or support.
    >
    > I'm a member of the society at large which you have no use or respect
    > for -- so I perceive that you are my enemy or adversary.

    You maybe a member of society, as I am, but you are still an
    individual. I don't disrespect you. I am not your enemy/adversary,
    because you aren't the society. No individual is the society.

    I may hate society but certainly do *not* hate the individuals who
    make up society.

    I don't hate any particular groups either.

    I hate the public. I hate society. I don't hate individuals. I don't
    hate groups.

    Radium, Jul 1, 2007
  18. Radium

    Mike Easter Guest

    Radium wrote:

    > I hate the public. I hate society. I don't hate individuals. I don't
    > hate groups.

    When you mistreat the public or abuse society, you are affecting the
    individual components of that public or society directly.

    We live together, sorta communally. We individuals are part of a group
    of public society.

    When you spit in society's face, you do it by spitting in my face. Our
    face. All of us here. Your own face, like spitting in the wind.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Jul 1, 2007
  19. Radium

    Mike Easter Guest

    Radium wrote:

    Thanatoid. Where are you? Talk to this person. He is in pain.

    Maybe he should take a walk over by a.s.h.

    He could start with helping other people in pain, then he might begin to
    feel better.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Jul 1, 2007
  20. Radium

    Radium Guest

    On Jun 30, 7:50 pm, "Mike Easter" <> wrote:

    > When you mistreat the public or abuse society, you are affecting the
    > individual components of that public or society directly.
    >
    > We live together, sorta communally. We individuals are part of a group
    > of public society.
    >
    > When you spit in society's face, you do it by spitting in my face. Our
    > face. All of us here. Your own face, like spitting in the wind.

    No offense but that is totally wrong.

    There is a significant difference between what the public expresses
    and what the individuals - who make up the public -- think/feel. Its
    ironic yet 100 % true.

    Think about a gang like M13. The individuals who make up M13 are
    actually against the M13 gang. However, these individuals are forced
    -- via extreme fear -- to keep the gang going. At heart, these guys
    don't want to be in a gang. As individuals they want this gang to stop
    existing.

    However, it's the extreme fear caused by pack mentality that forces a
    gang member to:

    A. Keep the gang going
    B. Kill anyone who is suspected of turning against the gang.

    If you are part of a gang and you suspect someone of showing dislike
    for the gang, you'd better kill that individual or else, the rest of
    the gang will kill you. If your gang wants to kill someone, you'd
    better assist them or else the gang will kill you.

    It's this extreme fear of being killed that keeps the gang going.

    If you go against your gang, the other gang members will kill you.
    They will kill you out of fear that if they don't kill you, the larger
    crowd of the gang will kill them.

    Do you understand this vicious circle of fear??

    Society is like a gang, the same individuals who make up society are
    the same individuals who - at heart - disagree with the society.
    However, out of extreme fear, these individuals are forced to abide by
    their own society's rules and torment any individual who is known/
    suspected of not following society's rules.

    One of society's rules is if you notice an individual not following
    society's rules, you torment that individual and outcast him/her.
    Otherwise, you'll be cast out.

    Radium, Jul 1, 2007