    http://www.einfo.co.nz/shop/seagate-momentus-320gb-25-7mm-thin-internal-notebook-hdd-p-28847.html

    My question is; will the thinner drive be okay to replace the old drive
    with? If not, what is my best option?
    John, Oct 28, 2013

  2. John

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <>,
    , John says...

    > Friend has an HP Compaq laptop with a hard drive that has started to pack
    > up. The drive is a ST9320423AS Momentus 7200 Sata 320GB and is 9.5 mm
    > thick.
    >
    > I've searched for the drive in NZ and can find drives that seem to be the
    > same specs, apart from the thickness of the drive, 7mm rather than 9.5mm of
    > the old drive (see link below).
    >
    > http://www.einfo.co.nz/shop/seagate-momentus-320gb-25-7mm-thin-internal-notebook-hdd-p-28847.html
    >
    > My question is; will the thinner drive be okay to replace the old drive
    > with? If not, what is my best option?

    I'd just get a different drive - ie. a 9.5mm drive. Most 2.5" drives
    are 9.5mm - sorta the standard I guess. Not many 7mm drives, most are
    9.5mm.

    So just get another drive (you don't have to use a Seagage Momentus
    drive).

    For around the same price, you should be able to get a WD 500GB 7200rpm
    drive (and not 5400rpm).

    --
    Duncan.
    Dave Doe, Oct 28, 2013

  3. On Mon, 28 Oct 2013 23:15:56 +1300, Dave Doe <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    >, John says...
    >>
    >> Friend has an HP Compaq laptop with a hard drive that has started to pack
    >> up. The drive is a ST9320423AS Momentus 7200 Sata 320GB and is 9.5 mm
    >> thick.
    >>
    >> I've searched for the drive in NZ and can find drives that seem to be the
    >> same specs, apart from the thickness of the drive, 7mm rather than 9.5mm of
    >> the old drive (see link below).
    >>
    >> http://www.einfo.co.nz/shop/seagate-momentus-320gb-25-7mm-thin-internal-notebook-hdd-p-28847.html
    >>
    >> My question is; will the thinner drive be okay to replace the old drive
    >> with? If not, what is my best option?

    >I'd just get a different drive - ie. a 9.5mm drive. Most 2.5" drives
    >are 9.5mm - sorta the standard I guess. Not many 7mm drives, most are
    >9.5mm.
    >
    >So just get another drive (you don't have to use a Seagage Momentus
    >drive).
    >
    >For around the same price, you should be able to get a WD 500GB 7200rpm
    >drive (and not 5400rpm).

    And what about the extra Power & Heat.??
    Frank Williams, Oct 28, 2013
  4. John

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs EMB wrote:
    > On 28/10/2013 7:27 p.m., John wrote:
    >> Friend has an HP Compaq laptop with a hard drive that has started to
    >> pack up. The drive is a ST9320423AS Momentus 7200 Sata 320GB and is
    >> 9.5 mm thick.
    >>
    >> I've searched for the drive in NZ and can find drives that seem to
    >> be the same specs, apart from the thickness of the drive, 7mm rather
    >> than 9.5mm of the old drive (see link below).
    >>
    >> http://www.einfo.co.nz/shop/seagate-momentus-320gb-25-7mm-thin-internal-notebook-hdd-p-28847.html
    >>
    >> My question is; will the thinner drive be okay to replace the old
    >> drive with? If not, what is my best option?
    >>

    > It'll be just fine. And I'd look at one of the SATA/SSD hybrid drives
    > for the performance boost they offer. Something like this:
    >
    > http://pbtech.co.nz/index.php?z=p&p=HDDSE5705

    Gosh but for a page that has a 'specifications' tab it's a bit of a joke!

    That's the Seagate Gen 3 SSHD - a respectable and excellent choice for a
    laptop. It has 8GB of MLC NAND and runs at 5,400rpm.

    I bought at just the right time and got one of the last Gen 2 models; 750GB,
    8GB *S*LC NAND and platters spinning at 7,200rpm (with an assurance from
    Seagate that, if and when better SSHD algorithms are developed they'll be
    made available for download for the G2 SSHD).

    I must say that it's more than halved the boot time of my T60 and made it
    considerably more responsive - opening programmes in less than half the time
    the WD Black that it replaced took.

    http://www.storagereview.com/seagate_sshd_thin_review_gen3_500gb_st500lm000

    Cheers,
    --
    /Shaun.

    cozy little classification in the DSM."
    David Melville (in r.a.s.f1).
    [Sent from my OrbitalT ocular implant interface]
    ~misfit~, Oct 29, 2013
  5. John

    John Guest

    On Mon, 28 Oct 2013 20:13:38 +1300, EMB wrote:

    > On 28/10/2013 7:27 p.m., John wrote:
    >> Friend has an HP Compaq laptop with a hard drive that has started to pack
    >> up. The drive is a ST9320423AS Momentus 7200 Sata 320GB and is 9.5 mm
    >> thick.
    >>
    >> I've searched for the drive in NZ and can find drives that seem to be the
    >> same specs, apart from the thickness of the drive, 7mm rather than 9.5mm of
    >> the old drive (see link below).
    >>
    >> http://www.einfo.co.nz/shop/seagate-momentus-320gb-25-7mm-thin-internal-notebook-hdd-p-28847.html
    >>
    >> My question is; will the thinner drive be okay to replace the old drive
    >> with? If not, what is my best option?
    >>

    > It'll be just fine. And I'd look at one of the SATA/SSD hybrid drives
    > for the performance boost they offer. Something like this:
    >
    > http://pbtech.co.nz/index.php?z=p&p=HDDSE5705

    Thank you, much appreciated.
    John, Oct 31, 2013
  6. John

    John Guest

    On Mon, 28 Oct 2013 23:15:56 +1300, Dave Doe wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > , John says...
    >>
    >> Friend has an HP Compaq laptop with a hard drive that has started to pack
    >> up. The drive is a ST9320423AS Momentus 7200 Sata 320GB and is 9.5 mm
    >> thick.
    >>
    >> I've searched for the drive in NZ and can find drives that seem to be the
    >> same specs, apart from the thickness of the drive, 7mm rather than 9.5mm of
    >> the old drive (see link below).
    >>
    >> http://www.einfo.co.nz/shop/seagate-momentus-320gb-25-7mm-thin-internal-notebook-hdd-p-28847.html
    >>
    >> My question is; will the thinner drive be okay to replace the old drive
    >> with? If not, what is my best option?

    > I'd just get a different drive - ie. a 9.5mm drive. Most 2.5" drives
    > are 9.5mm - sorta the standard I guess. Not many 7mm drives, most are
    > 9.5mm.
    >
    > So just get another drive (you don't have to use a Seagage Momentus
    > drive).
    >
    > For around the same price, you should be able to get a WD 500GB 7200rpm
    > drive (and not 5400rpm).

    Thank you, much appreciated.
    John, Oct 31, 2013