    80G for $60. If I can get 120G for $75, that would be a good deal.

    How do I determine which other brands of HDD for my laptop will actually
    work with it?

    Jeff Strickland, Dec 20, 2008

  2. "- Bobb -" <bobb@noemail.123> wrote in message
    news:gij8rj$i4n$...

    > "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote in message
    >>I have an HP Pavilion with a Toshiba MK6026GAX hard drive. The drive has
    >>taken a bye and I have to replace it.
    >>
    >> I can plug the new drive in, but I have to buy one first and this is
    >> proving to give me choices I don't know how to choose between.
    >>
    >> I know this drive is an ATA100, and has a 60G capacity. Since I have to
    >> buy a new drive, I'm pretty sure I can get more capacity for a small
    >> increase in price. I found an ATA6 with an 80G capacity, also a Toshiba
    >> drive in the same family -- MK8026GAX. I don't understand all that I know
    >> relative to the ATA convention.
    >>
    >> The -GAX drives have been discontinued (not surprising), but seem to
    >> enjoy some level of availability. The 60G drive runs to about $57, but I
    >> can get 80G for $60. If I can get 120G for $75, that would be a good
    >> deal.
    >>
    >> How do I determine which other brands of HDD for my laptop will actually
    >> work with it?

    > to choose your specs from dropdowns, I use:
    > http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_hd.asp?gsNav=1
    >
    > You didn't specify the model number or the HP part number for your current
    > drive, but you could check hp.com for parts listing ( just to see what
    > THEY offered), or email HP online support , they'll reply.
    >
    > A good place for laptop info is
    > forum.notebookreview.com - it has an upgrade area - a simliar question was
    > asked last week:
    > http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=329641
    > or
    > http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=60708

    I did not give the HP part number of the drive because I can pull the drive
    out and use the mfg part number. Apparently HP simply buys drives off the
    shelf and stuffs tyhem into the box.

    Anyhow, I discovered that the drive I have is a member af a family of drives
    that are all interchangable in 40G, 60G and 80G versions, all running on an
    ATA100 interface. What got me earlier is that one of the specs I found on
    the 80G version said ATA-6, but I don't know what that means.

    I guess that what I need to figure out is how many other drives there are
    that are ATA100 and share the same form-factor so that they physically fit
    into the box. I'll check tigerdirect.com and see what they have. Thanks.

    Jeff Strickland, Dec 20, 2008

  3. The OEM mfg p/n is COMPAQ 359086-001. The drive was built by Toshiba suing
    he drive designation I gave earlier.

    </toppost>

    Jeff Strickland, Dec 20, 2008
  4. Jeff Strickland

    - Bobb - Guest

    >> "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote in message
    >>>I have an HP Pavilion with a Toshiba MK6026GAX hard drive. The drive has
    >>>taken a bye and I have to replace it.
    >>>
    >>> I can plug the new drive in, but I have to buy one first and this is
    >>> proving to give me choices I don't know how to choose between.
    >>>
    >>> I know this drive is an ATA100, and has a 60G capacity. Since I have to
    >>> buy a new drive, I'm pretty sure I can get more capacity for a small
    >>> increase in price. I found an ATA6 with an 80G capacity, also a Toshiba
    >>> drive in the same family -- MK8026GAX. I don't understand all that I
    >>> know relative to the ATA convention.
    >>>
    >>> The -GAX drives have been discontinued (not surprising), but seem to
    >>> enjoy some level of availability. The 60G drive runs to about $57, but I
    >>> can get 80G for $60. If I can get 120G for $75, that would be a good
    >>> deal.
    >>>
    >>> How do I determine which other brands of HDD for my laptop will actually
    >>> work with it?

    >> to choose your specs from dropdowns, I use:
    >> http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_hd.asp?gsNav=1
    >>
    >> You didn't specify the model number or the HP part number for your
    >> current drive, but you could check hp.com for parts listing ( just to see
    >> what THEY offered), or email HP online support , they'll reply.
    >>
    >> A good place for laptop info is
    >> forum.notebookreview.com - it has an upgrade area - a simliar question
    >> was asked last week:
    >> http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=329641
    >> or
    >> http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=60708
    >>

    > I did not give the HP part number of the drive because I can pull the
    > drive out and use the mfg part number. Apparently HP simply buys drives
    > off the shelf and stuffs tyhem into the box.

    I mentioned HP model numbers because, if you go HP.com or disk drive
    sellers website, and enter your PC model number - or the disk drive model
    number, you can see if there were maybe 4 drives available and one might be
    bigger etc . Let's say alternate drive p/n was 123456-003 , you could then
    look for drive sellers websites and enter 123456-003 and THAT site would
    show alternatives.

    - Bobb -, Dec 20, 2008
  5. "- Bobb -" <bobb@noemail.123> wrote in message

    > "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "- Bobb -" <bobb@noemail.123> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote in message

    >>> to choose your specs from dropdowns, I use:
    >>> http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_hd.asp?gsNav=1
    >>>
    >>> You didn't specify the model number or the HP part number for your
    >>> current drive, but you could check hp.com for parts listing ( just to
    >>> see what THEY offered), or email HP online support , they'll reply.
    >>>
    >>> A good place for laptop info is
    >>> forum.notebookreview.com - it has an upgrade area - a simliar question
    >>> was asked last week:
    >>> http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=329641
    >>> or
    >>> http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=60708
    >>>

    >> I did not give the HP part number of the drive because I can pull the
    >> drive out and use the mfg part number. Apparently HP simply buys drives
    >> off the shelf and stuffs tyhem into the box.

    > I mentioned HP model numbers because, if you go HP.com or disk drive
    > sellers website, and enter your PC model number - or the disk drive model
    > number, you can see if there were maybe 4 drives available and one might
    > be bigger etc . Let's say alternate drive p/n was 123456-003 , you could
    > then look for drive sellers websites and enter 123456-003 and THAT site
    > would show alternatives.

    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was thinking the interface speed (ATA-100)
    was the spec that controlled my decision.

    I have determined that this drive is available in 3 flavors (from Toahiba),
    40G, 60G and 80G, all having the same interface speed. I have found larger
    capacity drives, but the interface jumps to ATA (or SATA) 300. I can get
    greater capacity from Seagate and Western Digital, but the interface speed
    goes up too, and I haven't the space or inclination to add a new controller.

    Jeff Strickland, Dec 20, 2008
  6. Jeff Strickland

    GTS Guest

    >>> I did not give the HP part number of the drive because I can pull the
    >>> drive out and use the mfg part number. Apparently HP simply buys drives
    >>> off the shelf and stuffs tyhem into the box.

    >> I mentioned HP model numbers because, if you go HP.com or disk drive
    >> sellers website, and enter your PC model number - or the disk drive model
    >> number, you can see if there were maybe 4 drives available and one might
    >> be bigger etc . Let's say alternate drive p/n was 123456-003 , you could
    >> then look for drive sellers websites and enter 123456-003 and THAT site
    >> would show alternatives.
    >>

    > Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was thinking the interface speed (ATA-100)
    > was the spec that controlled my decision.
    >
    > I have determined that this drive is available in 3 flavors (from
    > Toahiba), 40G, 60G and 80G, all having the same interface speed. I have
    > found larger capacity drives, but the interface jumps to ATA (or SATA)
    > 300. I can get greater capacity from Seagate and Western Digital, but the
    > interface speed goes up too, and I haven't the space or inclination to add
    > a new controller.

    You can use any standard IDE laptop drive in your HP. Drives with a higher
    ATA rating are backward compatible. Just don't order a SATA drive by
    mistake. See link for some options.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...N=2010150014 1035907789&name=IDE Ultra ATA100

    GTS, Dec 21, 2008
  7. Jeff Strickland