    TIA

    Byron

    , May 26, 2007

  2. WhzzKdd Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > So I have a laptop that just goes dead on me the other day while I was
    > using it. Cannot power it up or anything but I need to retain some
    > files that are on the hard drive. I have another laptop and I was
    > wondering if I could just swap out the drives from one to the other?
    > What will happen when the laptop attempts to boot the OS from the HD
    > yet having different components etc? Maybe I should install the HD
    > and then Boot from CD using something like tinyLinux? What about
    > installing it into a desktop with a 2.5 ---> 3.5 disk adapter?
    > Thoughts?
    >
    > TIA
    >

    > Byron

    Get an external 2.5" USB case, install it, and plug it in.
    <http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&Description=usb%20hard%20drive%20case&bop=And&Order=PRICE>

    Not only do you get your files back, you have a portable data storage
    device.

    WhzzKdd, May 26, 2007

  3. Alfred Guest

    On 25 May 2007 20:04:57 -0700, wrote:

    >So I have a laptop that just goes dead on me the other day while I was
    >using it. Cannot power it up or anything but I need to retain some
    >files that are on the hard drive. I have another laptop and I was
    >wondering if I could just swap out the drives from one to the other?
    >What will happen when the laptop attempts to boot the OS from the HD
    >yet having different components etc?

    Might work but not guaranteed

    Maybe I should install the HD
    >and then Boot from CD using something like tinyLinux?

    A faff on
    Done it with knoppix on an old win98 system but it's a pain.
    Again not guaranteed to work
    > What about
    >installing it into a desktop with a 2.5 ---> 3.5 disk adapter?
    >Thoughts?
    >
    >TIA
    >

    >Byron

    Best use an adapter if you have one and link it to a desktop machine.
    Much much easier and more chance of success if your drive isn't
    stuffed

    Alfred, May 26, 2007