    The jumper pins remain as before - has the usb bay changed some
    setting? Can I mend this?
    Thanks
    Harry, Feb 13, 2005

  2. Harry wrote:
    > Hi My Hitachi Travelstar laptop drive got so clogged with adware it
    > stopped working. I put it in an external USB bay to back up the
    > important data before reloading Windows XP.
    >
    > However when I now replace the drive in my laptop it says 'OS not
    > detected' and it does not appear to be recognised in the bios any
    > more.
    >
    > I have done this to 2 drives - the data on both can be accessed
    > through the external USB bay but neither is now detected if used
    > internally (I therefore cannot even reload windows)
    >
    > The jumper pins remain as before - has the usb bay changed some
    > setting? Can I mend this?
    > Thanks

    My first thought would be to check the BIOS settings in the laptop.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Feb 13, 2005

  3. Harry

    Ghostrider Guest

    Harry wrote:
    > Hi My Hitachi Travelstar laptop drive got so clogged with adware it
    > stopped working. I put it in an external USB bay to back up the
    > important data before reloading Windows XP.
    >
    > However when I now replace the drive in my laptop it says 'OS not
    > detected' and it does not appear to be recognised in the bios any
    > more.
    >
    > I have done this to 2 drives - the data on both can be accessed
    > through the external USB bay but neither is now detected if used
    > internally (I therefore cannot even reload windows)
    >
    > The jumper pins remain as before - has the usb bay changed some
    > setting? Can I mend this?
    > Thanks

    Even if the message says that OS is not detected, is the
    hard drive detected? If so, then the primary partition,
    the one that contains the OS, might need to be made active.
    In temporarily placing the HD into the USB carrier, the
    computer might have disabled the primary partition. Run
    fdisk to check the status of this partition and to change
    it.

    OTOH, if the HD is no longer detected when re-installed
    into the laptop, then run bios setup and have the bios
    re-detect the hard drive(s).
    Ghostrider, Feb 13, 2005