    alerted me to the standalone GPS receivers that simply plug in to the laptop
    and work with autoroute at a fraction of the cost. Anyone got any
    recommendations, pros and cons?

    Chris, Oct 2, 2005

  2. Chris

    Scraggy Guest

    Chris wrote:
    > We have a laptop with autoroute on it that we use when navigating
    > through France and Europe when on holiday. Now that these Tom Tom Sat
    > Navs are becoming more common I've been thinking about getting one
    > but this has alerted me to the standalone GPS receivers that simply
    > plug in to the laptop and work with autoroute at a fraction of the
    > cost. Anyone got any recommendations, pros and cons?

    If you're happy with Autoroute, stay with it. It is much the cheaper option.
    You then have the choice between a USB sat receiver(cheapest) or a
    Bluetooth, assuming BT on your LT.
    Factors you may need to consider.
    Power for BT if used.
    Metal coatings on some screens mean that an external Ae may be required.

    Have a look here

    http://www.globalpositioningsystems.co.uk/?PHPSESSID=ce89bfeb0dcc09169a736485b48967cb

    http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/

    members. Groucho Marx