    Does anyone have any suggestions as to what could be causing this?

    Many thanks
    Jayne
    JayneB, Feb 1, 2004

  2. JayneB

    HamMan Guest

    "JayneB" <> wrote in message
    news:Jo7Tb.364$...
    > Hi there,
    >
    > I have just formatted the hard drive on my laptop and have re-installed
    > Windows ME

    *is physically sick* get a real OS like XP, 98SE or Linux
    HamMan, Feb 1, 2004

  3. JayneB

    JayneB Guest

    Hi,

    thanks - I forgot to mention that I have also tried Win 98 SE and XP and
    still get same problem.

    Thanks
    Jayne

    JayneB, Feb 1, 2004
  4. "JayneB" <> wrote in message
    : Hi there,
    :
    : I have just formatted the hard drive on my laptop and have re-installed
    : Windows ME using the supplied CD Rom which has a 'ghost' image of the
    : factory defaults.
    :
    : The OS has re-installed OK but when I try to read anything from a CD or a
    : floppy disk in Windows, the laptop freezes. I can't CTRL-ALT-DEL and it
    : won't 'reset'. I have to remove the battery/power in order to shut it
    down.
    :
    : I have tried re-installing a couple of times but I still get the same
    : problem. The CD and floppy drives are set up OK in BIOS.
    :
    : Does anyone have any suggestions as to what could be causing this?
    :
    : Many thanks
    : Jayne
    :

    Dump ME and install XP pro.
    I had ME on one of my systems and had nothing but problems.XP pro seems like
    one of the more stable os's I've had.98 se wasn't bad either actually.

    :
    Will The Drill, Feb 1, 2004
  5. JayneB

    Chris Guest

    Sorry to say this but it could be the mother board. Although I would listen
    to the experts before considering this alternative. I had the same problem
    and it ended up with me installing a new board.

    Chris, Feb 1, 2004
  6. JayneB

    Patrick Guest

    Chris wrote:
    > Sorry to say this but it could be the mother board. Although I would
    > listen to the experts before considering this alternative. I had the
    > same problem and it ended up with me installing a new board.

    Presumeably though, the MoBo (and CDdrive) must have been OK when OP used
    the Restore-CD-disk when reinstalling the Operating-System

    --
    Just a little hope ! :)

    Patrick, Feb 1, 2004
  7. JayneB

    Patrick Guest

    Will The Drill wrote:
    > "JayneB" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi there,
    >>
    >> I have just formatted the hard drive on my laptop and have
    >> re-installed Windows ME using the supplied CD Rom which has a
    >> 'ghost' image of the factory defaults.
    >>
    >> The OS has re-installed OK but when I try to read anything from a CD
    >> or a floppy disk in Windows, the laptop freezes. I can't
    >> CTRL-ALT-DEL and it won't 'reset'. I have to remove the
    >> battery/power in order to shut it down.
    >>
    >> I have tried re-installing a couple of times but I still get the same
    >> problem. The CD and floppy drives are set up OK in BIOS.
    >>
    >> Does anyone have any suggestions as to what could be causing this?
    >>
    >> Many thanks
    >> Jayne
    >>

    > Dump ME and install XP pro.
    > I had ME on one of my systems and had nothing but problems.XP pro
    > seems like one of the more stable os's I've had.98 se wasn't bad
    > either actually.

    The OP says that Win98 and XP have allready been tried, same problem !
    Patrick, Feb 1, 2004
  8. JayneB

    HamMan Guest

    "JayneB" <> wrote in message
    > Hi there,
    >
    > I have just formatted the hard drive on my laptop and have re-installed
    > Windows ME using the supplied CD Rom which has a 'ghost' image of the
    > factory defaults.
    >
    > The OS has re-installed OK but when I try to read anything from a CD or a
    > floppy disk in Windows, the laptop freezes. I can't CTRL-ALT-DEL and it
    > won't 'reset'. I have to remove the battery/power in order to shut it

    down.

    > I have tried re-installing a couple of times but I still get the same
    > problem. The CD and floppy drives are set up OK in BIOS.
    >
    > Does anyone have any suggestions as to what could be causing this?
    >
    > Many thanks
    > Jayne

    Tried chipset drivers? CDROM in DMA or PIO?
    HamMan, Feb 1, 2004
  9. JayneB

    Patrick Guest

    JayneB wrote:
    > Hi there,
    >
    > I have just formatted the hard drive on my laptop and have
    > re-installed Windows ME using the supplied CD Rom which has a 'ghost'
    > image of the factory defaults.
    >
    > The OS has re-installed OK but when I try to read anything from a CD
    > or a floppy disk in Windows, the laptop freezes. I can't
    > CTRL-ALT-DEL and it won't 'reset'. I have to remove the
    > battery/power in order to shut it down.
    >
    > I have tried re-installing a couple of times but I still get the same
    > problem. The CD and floppy drives are set up OK in BIOS.
    >
    > Does anyone have any suggestions as to what could be causing this?
    >
    > Many thanks
    > Jayne

    Have you looked in 'Device Manager' for anything (CD,floppy) showing an
    error or problem ?
    Patrick, Feb 1, 2004
  10. JayneB

    Trax Guest

    On Sun, 1 Feb 2004 13:44:04 -0000, "JayneB"
    <> wrote:

    |>Hi there,
    |>
    |>I have just formatted the hard drive on my laptop and have re-installed
    |>Windows ME using the supplied CD Rom which has a 'ghost' image of the
    |>factory defaults.
    |>
    |>The OS has re-installed OK but when I try to read anything from a CD or a
    |>floppy disk in Windows, the laptop freezes. I can't CTRL-ALT-DEL and it
    |>won't 'reset'. I have to remove the battery/power in order to shut it down.
    |>
    |>I have tried re-installing a couple of times but I still get the same
    |>problem. The CD and floppy drives are set up OK in BIOS.
    |>
    |>Does anyone have any suggestions as to what could be causing this?

    Suggestion:
    Seeing as the CD did work before, and now using ME it doesn't. Could
    be the drivers. Try to boot up with a floppy/CD and see what happens,
    does OS, Doesn't laptop.

    Does:
    uninstall/remove the CD and Floppy from the Device Manager (or
    whatever ME uses-Control panel), and reinstall them.
    Find new drivers and install them.

    --
    ,,
    ( "> w
    Trax, Feb 1, 2004
  11. JayneB

    JayneB Guest

    Yes, the MoBO and CD drive (and floppy drive) were OK when reinstalling the
    OS, the problem seems to be when Win ME is actually running. Having said
    that, I have just had another problem on boot-up when I got 'Boot Failure'.

    Went into BIOS and my hard-drive was not being detected. I then booted with
    Win 98 boot disk, then went into BIOS and it HAD found my hard-drive.

    I seem to be having various sporadic problems. Maybe it is the MoBo on it's
    way out. It's playing up something stupid.

    Anyone have any further suggestions?

    Cheers
    Jayne

    JayneB, Feb 1, 2004
  12. JayneB

    JayneB Guest

    There's nothing highlighted as a problem in Device Manager.

    JayneB, Feb 1, 2004