    TIA

    Later,
    Malcolm

    Malcolm, Nov 23, 2005

  2. Malcolm

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:,
    Malcolm spewed forth:
    > Hi Folks,
    >
    > I have a friend with a dell laptop running Windows ME. It needs to be
    > formatted and reloaded. Trouble is he has a plug in CD rom and a plug
    > in floppy drive. Only the floppy or CD drive can be in at one time. I
    > want to boot with a Windows 98 boot floppy and format "C:" and then
    > copy the floppy to C:. Then boot to C: and load with the CD Rom driver
    > to load Windows ME from a CD. Is this a good plan?????????????
    > Any ideas would be appreciated.
    >

    > TIA
    >
    > Later,
    > Malcolm

    Sure. You're headed the right direction, but it may get a LOT simpler. Most
    Dell laptops will BOOT from a genuine Windows disk. You would need to set
    the CMOS to boot from CD. Have you checked the CMOS settings? What model
    laptop?

    --
    Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but you
    still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.

    Toolman Tim, Nov 23, 2005

  3. Malcolm

    Malcolm Guest

    On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 20:17:05 -0800, "Toolman Tim"
    <> wrote:

    >In news:,
    >Malcolm spewed forth:
    >> Hi Folks,
    >>
    >> I have a friend with a dell laptop running Windows ME. It needs to be
    >> formatted and reloaded. Trouble is he has a plug in CD rom and a plug
    >> in floppy drive. Only the floppy or CD drive can be in at one time. I
    >> want to boot with a Windows 98 boot floppy and format "C:" and then
    >> copy the floppy to C:. Then boot to C: and load with the CD Rom driver
    >> to load Windows ME from a CD. Is this a good plan?????????????
    >> Any ideas would be appreciated.
    >>

    >> TIA
    >>
    >> Later,
    >> Malcolm

    >Sure. You're headed the right direction, but it may get a LOT simpler. Most
    >Dell laptops will BOOT from a genuine Windows disk. You would need to set
    >the CMOS to boot from CD. Have you checked the CMOS settings? What model
    >laptop?

    It is a Dell Latitude CPx. But Will Windows ME boot from CD and format
    and install??????? I know Win XP will, but not sure of Win ME. I have
    not checked CMOS settings yet. I have not even looked at what key to
    hit to enter setup yet.

    TIA

    Later,
    Malcolm

    Malcolm, Nov 23, 2005
  4. Malcolm

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:,
    Malcolm spewed forth:
    > On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 20:17:05 -0800, "Toolman Tim"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> In news:,
    >> Malcolm spewed forth:
    >>> Hi Folks,
    >>>
    >>> I have a friend with a dell laptop running Windows ME. It needs to
    >>> be formatted and reloaded. Trouble is he has a plug in CD rom and a
    >>> plug in floppy drive. Only the floppy or CD drive can be in at one
    >>> time. I want to boot with a Windows 98 boot floppy and format "C:"
    >>> and then copy the floppy to C:. Then boot to C: and load with the
    >>> CD Rom driver to load Windows ME from a CD. Is this a good
    >>> plan?????????????
    >>> Any ideas would be appreciated.
    >>>

    >>> TIA
    >>>
    >>> Later,
    >>> Malcolm

    >> Sure. You're headed the right direction, but it may get a LOT
    >> simpler. Most Dell laptops will BOOT from a genuine Windows disk.
    >> You would need to set the CMOS to boot from CD. Have you checked the
    >> CMOS settings? What model laptop?

    > It is a Dell Latitude CPx. But Will Windows ME boot from CD and format
    > and install??????? I know Win XP will, but not sure of Win ME. I have
    > not checked CMOS settings yet. I have not even looked at what key to
    > hit to enter setup yet.

    Yes, W98 and later versions of Windows (if genuine MS discs) will boot and
    install. Of course, if you want to totally wipe the drive, you might want to
    fdisk/format from a floppy first. I find it goes easier.

    Plus, I don't usually run setup from the CD itself. I prefer to make a
    folder on the hard drive and copy the setup files their. That way, when
    Windows needs the disk later to install new software or hardware, you don't
    have to go look for the CD.

    CMOS setup for a Dell laptop should be Del, F1 or F2. I've seen all three
    used on different models. I haven't worked on a CPx in about 3 years, so I
    can't recall for certain.

    Toolman Tim, Nov 23, 2005
  5. Malcolm

    Malcolm Guest

    On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 20:35:55 -0800, "Toolman Tim"
    <> wrote:

    >In news:,
    >Malcolm spewed forth:
    >> On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 20:17:05 -0800, "Toolman Tim"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> In news:,
    >>> Malcolm spewed forth:

    >>> Sure. You're headed the right direction, but it may get a LOT
    >>> simpler. Most Dell laptops will BOOT from a genuine Windows disk.
    >>> You would need to set the CMOS to boot from CD. Have you checked the
    >>> CMOS settings? What model laptop?

    >> It is a Dell Latitude CPx. But Will Windows ME boot from CD and format
    >> and install??????? I know Win XP will, but not sure of Win ME. I have
    >> not checked CMOS settings yet. I have not even looked at what key to
    >> hit to enter setup yet.
    >>

    >Yes, W98 and later versions of Windows (if genuine MS discs) will boot and
    >install. Of course, if you want to totally wipe the drive, you might want to
    >fdisk/format from a floppy first. I find it goes easier.
    >
    >Plus, I don't usually run setup from the CD itself. I prefer to make a
    >folder on the hard drive and copy the setup files their. That way, when
    >Windows needs the disk later to install new software or hardware, you don't
    >have to go look for the CD.
    >
    >CMOS setup for a Dell laptop should be Del, F1 or F2. I've seen all three
    >used on different models. I haven't worked on a CPx in about 3 years, so I
    >can't recall for certain.

    Thanks for the info. I appreciate your help.

    TIA

    Later,
    Malcolm

    Malcolm, Nov 23, 2005
  6. Malcolm

    Noel Paton Guest

    "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    > In news:,
    > Yes, W98 and later versions of Windows (if genuine MS discs) will boot and
    > install. Of course, if you want to totally wipe the drive, you might want
    > to fdisk/format from a floppy first. I find it goes easier.

    Tim
    No MS-manufactured Win 9x OS CD's are bootable - ONLY OEM specials are
    bootable.

    However, it's possible to create an ME bootable CD -
    http://www.allbootdisks.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=42&func=selectfolder&filecatid=88
    the OP can then boot from that, and insert the CD..

    OTOH, IIRC, the Dell CD's were their own, and should be bootable.
    --
    Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2006, Windows)

    Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    http://www.crashfixpc.com/millsrpch.htm

    http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

    Noel Paton, Nov 23, 2005
  7. Malcolm

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:dm1k5e$irr$-infra.bt.com,
    Noel Paton spewed forth:
    > "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    >> In news:,
    >> Yes, W98 and later versions of Windows (if genuine MS discs) will
    >> boot and install. Of course, if you want to totally wipe the drive,
    >> you might want to fdisk/format from a floppy first. I find it goes
    >> easier.

    > Tim
    > No MS-manufactured Win 9x OS CD's are bootable - ONLY OEM specials are
    > bootable.
    >
    > However, it's possible to create an ME bootable CD -
    > http://www.allbootdisks.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=42&func=selectfolder&filecatid=88
    > the OP can then boot from that, and insert the CD..
    >
    > OTOH, IIRC, the Dell CD's were their own, and should be bootable.

    I have quite a number of Microsoft discs that are bootable. They have the
    "genuine" MS holograms on them. They are discs that came with several
    different systems, not just Dell. So while they are the OEM edition, they
    are genuine made by MS discs. I've never bought a retail version, so that
    may be different.

    Toolman Tim, Nov 23, 2005
  8. Malcolm

    Plato Guest

    Toolman Tim wrote:

    > I have quite a number of Microsoft discs that are bootable. They have the

    Bootable, in theory. Often they just dont boot, even tho you have your
    bios and everything else set up correctly.

    Plato, Nov 23, 2005
  9. Malcolm

    > In news:dm1k5e$irr$-infra.bt.com,
    > Noel Paton spewed forth:
    >> "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    >>> In news:,
    >>> Yes, W98 and later versions of Windows (if genuine MS discs) will
    >>> boot and install. Of course, if you want to totally wipe the drive,
    >>> you might want to fdisk/format from a floppy first. I find it goes
    >>> easier.

    >> Tim
    >> No MS-manufactured Win 9x OS CD's are bootable - ONLY OEM specials are
    >> bootable.
    >>
    >> However, it's possible to create an ME bootable CD -
    >> http://www.allbootdisks.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=42&func=selectfolder&filecatid=88
    >> the OP can then boot from that, and insert the CD..
    >>
    >> OTOH, IIRC, the Dell CD's were their own, and should be bootable.

    > I have quite a number of Microsoft discs that are bootable. They have the
    > "genuine" MS holograms on them. They are discs that came with several
    > different systems, not just Dell. So while they are the OEM edition, they
    > are genuine made by MS discs. I've never bought a retail version, so that
    > may be different.

    The first MS CD to have a Hologram was the ME disk, IIRC - so what were the
    others (and neither the ME OEM, nor Retail disk ex MS were bootable (I have
    both - and an Upgrade disk) - once you start getting into
    Dell/Compaq/whatever versions, all things are possible)

    Noel Paton, Nov 23, 2005
  10. Malcolm

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:dm2qru$3jd$-infra.bt.com,
    Noel Paton spewed forth:
    > "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    >> In news:dm1k5e$irr$-infra.bt.com,
    >> Noel Paton spewed forth:
    >>> "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Tim
    >>> No MS-manufactured Win 9x OS CD's are bootable - ONLY OEM specials
    >>> are bootable.
    >>>
    >>> However, it's possible to create an ME bootable CD -
    >>> http://www.allbootdisks.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=42&func=selectfolder&filecatid=88
    >>> the OP can then boot from that, and insert the CD..
    >>>
    >>> OTOH, IIRC, the Dell CD's were their own, and should be bootable.

    >> I have quite a number of Microsoft discs that are bootable. They
    >> have the "genuine" MS holograms on them. They are discs that came
    >> with several different systems, not just Dell. So while they are the
    >> OEM edition, they are genuine made by MS discs. I've never bought a
    >> retail version, so that may be different.
    >>

    > The first MS CD to have a Hologram was the ME disk, IIRC - so what
    > were the others (and neither the ME OEM, nor Retail disk ex MS were
    > bootable (I have both - and an Upgrade disk) - once you start getting
    > into Dell/Compaq/whatever versions, all things are possible)

    These are Win98SE discs with the holograms. The Win98 original discs don't
    have holograms, but are still genuine MS - all made by MS, not by the OEMs.
    (I do have later Dell OEM discs that have the Dell name on them, and are not
    made by MS but by Dell - W2K and XP.)

    Toolman Tim, Nov 23, 2005