    Craig Sutton Guest

    Any ideas?

    sub $3000 I guess..

    Craig Sutton, Jan 12, 2009

  2. Craig Sutton

    JohnO Guest

    On Jan 12, 7:40 pm, "Craig Sutton" <> wrote:
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > sub $3000 I guess..

    Don't do it!

    In 6 months you'll be grumpy that you can't upgrade the video card to
    the next best thing.

    JohnO, Jan 12, 2009

  3. Craig Sutton

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs "JohnO" typed:
    > On Jan 12, 7:40 pm, "Craig Sutton" <> wrote:
    >> Any ideas?
    >>
    >> sub $3000 I guess..

    > Don't do it!
    >
    > In 6 months you'll be grumpy that you can't upgrade the video card to
    > the next best thing.

    ... and I'll give you $400 for it then. ;-)
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Jan 12, 2009
  4. Craig Sutton

    Peter M Guest

    On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 19:40:27 +1300, "Craig Sutton" <>
    wrote:

    >Any ideas?
    >
    >sub $3000 I guess..

    Don't do it as most run Vista no good for games plus the 3D Graphics cards
    are far to slow, due to the battery life etc and heat..

    Good fast Graphic cards use a lot of power and lots of heat.

    There are some Laptops that are better butt in the $5000 price range..

    Peter M, Jan 12, 2009
  5. In message <gkeodc$qfr$>, Craig Sutton wrote:

    > Any ideas?
    >
    > sub $3000 I guess..

    For that price you could buy a Nintendo DS AND a PlayStation Portable. And
    have money left over for a few games.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 12, 2009
  6. Craig Sutton

    Fierce Guppy Guest

    JohnO explained :
    > On Jan 12, 7:40 pm, "Craig Sutton" <> wrote:
    >> Any ideas?
    >>
    >> sub $3000 I guess..

    > Don't do it!
    >
    > In 6 months you'll be grumpy that you can't upgrade the video card to
    > the next best thing.

    Out of curiosity, given that the graphics hardware inside gaming
    laptops is not integrated, why couldn't he simply upgrade his video
    card to the next best thing?

    Tony.

    --
    email: fierce,guppy@paradise,net,nz
    Christchurch, New Zealand.

    Fierce Guppy, Jan 12, 2009
  7. Craig Sutton

    oneofus Guest

    Craig Sutton wrote:
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > sub $3000 I guess..

    Dell XPS 1530

    oneofus, Jan 12, 2009
  8. Craig Sutton

    Craig Sutton Guest

    "JohnO" <> wrote in message
    On Jan 12, 7:40 pm, "Craig Sutton" <> wrote:
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > sub $3000 I guess..

    >Don't do it!

    <In 6 months you'll be grumpy that you can't upgrade the video card to
    <the next best thing.

    not for me.. and that's exactly what I told my brother.. a stupid idea
    better to get a $2000 pc plus a $1000 toy laptop.

    Craig Sutton, Jan 12, 2009
  9. In message <gkf8c5$4e3$>, Craig Sutton wrote:

    > better to get a $2000 pc plus a $1000 toy laptop.

    You can get a toy laptop for less than that.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 12, 2009
  10. Craig Sutton

    JohnO Guest

    On Jan 12, 10:50 pm, Fierce Guppy <> wrote:
    > JohnO explained :
    >
    > > On Jan 12, 7:40 pm, "Craig Sutton" <> wrote:
    > >> Any ideas?

    > >> sub $3000 I guess..

    > > Don't do it!

    > > In 6 months you'll be grumpy that you can't upgrade the video card to
    > > the next best thing.

    > Out of curiosity, given that the graphics hardware inside gaming
    > laptops is not integrated, why couldn't he simply upgrade his video
    > card to the next best thing?
    >
    > Tony.

    Oh. I didn't know such laptops exist. What are the models you speak
    of?

    JohnO, Jan 12, 2009
  11. On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 13:14:49 -0800 (PST), JohnO <>
    wrote:

    >On Jan 12, 10:50 pm, Fierce Guppy <> wrote:
    >> JohnO explained :

    >> > Don't do it!

    >> > In 6 months you'll be grumpy that you can't upgrade the video card to
    >> > the next best thing.

    >> Out of curiosity, given that the graphics hardware inside gaming
    >> laptops is not integrated, why couldn't he simply upgrade his video
    >> card to the next best thing?
    >>
    >> Tony.

    >Oh. I didn't know such laptops exist. What are the models you speak
    >of?

    My Asus G1S has an Nvidia 8600M GT. It is reputed to be on a separate
    card, but I have never opened it to have a look. And I have no idea
    what sort of connector and form factor it is, and how easy it might be
    to get that form factor.

    Stephen Worthington, Jan 13, 2009
  12. Craig Sutton

    Craig Sutton Guest

    > In message <gkf8c5$4e3$>, Craig Sutton wrote:
    >
    >> better to get a $2000 pc plus a $1000 toy laptop.

    > You can get a toy laptop for less than that.

    Not interested in those Toy ee pc's

    Craig Sutton, Jan 13, 2009
  13. Craig Sutton

    Fierce Guppy Guest

    JohnO presented the following explanation :
    > On Jan 12, 10:50 pm, Fierce Guppy <> wrote:
    >> JohnO explained :

    [...]
    >>> In 6 months you'll be grumpy that you can't upgrade the video card to
    >>> the next best thing.

    >> Out of curiosity, given that the graphics hardware inside gaming
    >> laptops is not integrated, why couldn't he simply upgrade his video
    >> card to the next best thing?
    >>
    >> Tony.

    > Oh. I didn't know such laptops exist. What are the models you speak
    > of?

    I am thinking discrete graphics hardware might be something like a
    plug-in card. Here's a picture of a mobile GPU and it looks very
    plug-in-able. I don't know why this would not be an upgrable part.

    http://tinyurl.com/68do4r

    Anyway, I was thinking along the lines of any of these gaming laptops.

    Alienware area-51 series notebooks
    http://www.alienware.com/products/notebook-computers.aspx

    Dell XPS M1730
    http://tinyurl.com/2r79f3

    HP's "Firebird with VoodooDNA" range of laptops
    http://tinyurl.com/a5dwsg

    MSI GX series
    http://tinyurl.com/a662b5

    Asus G50Vt, G71V, and G1S
    http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=5&l2=74
    http://tinyurl.com/9hpfx6

    Falcon Northwest laptops.
    http://www.falcon-nw.com/

    Tony.

    Fierce Guppy, Jan 13, 2009
  14. In message <gkhac3$akk$>, Craig Sutton wrote:

    >> In message <gkf8c5$4e3$>, Craig Sutton wrote:
    >>
    >>> better to get a $2000 pc plus a $1000 toy laptop.

    >> You can get a toy laptop for less than that.

    > Not interested in those Toy ee pc's

    Plenty of alternatives keep popping up
    <http://arstechnica.com/journals/hardware.ars/2009/01/12/the-mids-and-netbooks-of-ces-benq-tim>,
    <http://arstechnica.com/journals/hardware.ars/2009/01/12/the-mids-and-netbooks-of-ces-fujitsu-u820>.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 13, 2009
  15. Craig Sutton

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs "Fierce Guppy" typed:
    > JohnO presented the following explanation :
    >> On Jan 12, 10:50 pm, Fierce Guppy <> wrote:
    >>> JohnO explained :

    > [...]
    >>>
    >>> Out of curiosity, given that the graphics hardware inside gaming
    >>> laptops is not integrated, why couldn't he simply upgrade his video
    >>> card to the next best thing?
    >>>
    >>> Tony.

    >> Oh. I didn't know such laptops exist. What are the models you speak
    >> of?

    > I am thinking discrete graphics hardware might be something like a
    > plug-in card. Here's a picture of a mobile GPU and it looks very
    > plug-in-able. I don't know why this would not be an upgrable part.
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/68do4r
    >
    > Anyway, I was thinking along the lines of any of these gaming laptops.
    >
    > Alienware area-51 series notebooks
    > http://www.alienware.com/products/notebook-computers.aspx
    >
    > Dell XPS M1730
    > http://tinyurl.com/2r79f3
    >
    > HP's "Firebird with VoodooDNA" range of laptops
    > http://tinyurl.com/a5dwsg
    >
    > MSI GX series
    > http://tinyurl.com/a662b5
    >
    > Asus G50Vt, G71V, and G1S
    > http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=5&l2=74
    > http://tinyurl.com/9hpfx6
    >
    > Falcon Northwest laptops.
    > http://www.falcon-nw.com/

    Interesting links (not that I clicked them all <g>). I'd heard about
    upgradable laptop graphics last year but didn't know details. The biggest
    difficulty I see is in power requirements and cooling changing from one
    "graphics card" to another.
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Jan 13, 2009
  16. Hi there,

    Stephen Worthington wrote:
    > On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 13:14:49 -0800 (PST), JohnO <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> On Jan 12, 10:50 pm, Fierce Guppy <> wrote:
    >>> JohnO explained :

    >>> Out of curiosity, given that the graphics hardware inside gaming
    >>> laptops is not integrated, why couldn't he simply upgrade his video
    >>> card to the next best thing?
    >>>
    >>> Tony.

    >> Oh. I didn't know such laptops exist. What are the models you speak
    >> of?

    > My Asus G1S has an Nvidia 8600M GT. It is reputed to be on a separate
    > card, but I have never opened it to have a look. And I have no idea
    > what sort of connector and form factor it is, and how easy it might be
    > to get that form factor.

    The 8600M GT will be on an MXM card. MXM, despite appearing for all
    intents and purposes to be a standard for mobile GPU cards, seems
    to mean different things to different manufacturers. It would likely
    be impossible for you and I to swap our 8600M GT's (my Dell 1720
    has the same GPU).

    Upgrading is also tricky, even if you could find a higher-end GPU that
    would fit the MXM socket and not crash the laptop on boot. A real big
    issue is removing heat. A heatpipe/fan system designed for the 8600M GT
    might not remove enough heat from something like an 8800M GT, meaning
    either a cooked GPU or overtemp forcing the GPU to slow down.

    I play the odd game on the 8600M GT, including Crysis (medium details
    1280x800 is best compromise I can do), but if I was to get serious
    about games I'd build a desktop...

    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Blenheim.

    Chris Wilkinson, Jan 14, 2009
  17. On Wed, 14 Jan 2009 20:18:02 +1300, Chris Wilkinson
    <> wrote:

    >Hi there,
    >
    >Stephen Worthington wrote:
    >> On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 13:14:49 -0800 (PST), JohnO <>
    >> wrote:

    >>> Oh. I didn't know such laptops exist. What are the models you speak
    >>> of?

    >> My Asus G1S has an Nvidia 8600M GT. It is reputed to be on a separate
    >> card, but I have never opened it to have a look. And I have no idea
    >> what sort of connector and form factor it is, and how easy it might be
    >> to get that form factor.

    >The 8600M GT will be on an MXM card. MXM, despite appearing for all
    >intents and purposes to be a standard for mobile GPU cards, seems
    >to mean different things to different manufacturers. It would likely
    >be impossible for you and I to swap our 8600M GT's (my Dell 1720
    >has the same GPU).
    >
    >Upgrading is also tricky, even if you could find a higher-end GPU that
    >would fit the MXM socket and not crash the laptop on boot. A real big
    >issue is removing heat. A heatpipe/fan system designed for the 8600M GT
    >might not remove enough heat from something like an 8800M GT, meaning
    >either a cooked GPU or overtemp forcing the GPU to slow down.
    >
    >I play the odd game on the 8600M GT, including Crysis (medium details
    >1280x800 is best compromise I can do), but if I was to get serious
    >about games I'd build a desktop...
    >
    >Kind regards,
    >
    >Chris Wilkinson, Blenheim.

    Thanks, good to know that. My interest in these cards is that the
    8600M GT is one of the series of bad chipsets that Nvidia produced
    which has a habit of dying when it suffers too many temperature
    cycles. It seems to work long enough to be out of warranty though. So
    I may be up for replacing it, and I was hoping that one of new 9xxxM
    GPUs might be able to be the replacement. It would seem that will
    only be possible if Asus make that option available. I hope they are
    considering that, as replacing the failing 8600M GTs with the same GPU
    will only have the replacements also failing a bit later. Not what I
    expected when I bought a laptop for nearly $3000.

    I use the laptop for FreeviewHD TV - it is connected to my LCD TV by
    HDMI, and the 8600M GT is one of the GPUs that does the accelerated
    H.264 necessary to display 720p and 1080i in NZ.

    Stephen Worthington, Jan 14, 2009
  18. Craig Sutton

    Peter M Guest

    On Wed, 14 Jan 2009 08:33:59 GMT, Stephen Worthington
    <34.nz56.remove_numbers> wrote:

    >On Wed, 14 Jan 2009 20:18:02 +1300, Chris Wilkinson
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>Hi there,
    >>
    >>Stephen Worthington wrote:

    >>> My Asus G1S has an Nvidia 8600M GT. It is reputed to be on a separate
    >>> card, but I have never opened it to have a look. And I have no idea
    >>> what sort of connector and form factor it is, and how easy it might be
    >>> to get that form factor.

    >>The 8600M GT will be on an MXM card. MXM, despite appearing for all
    >>intents and purposes to be a standard for mobile GPU cards, seems
    >>to mean different things to different manufacturers. It would likely
    >>be impossible for you and I to swap our 8600M GT's (my Dell 1720
    >>has the same GPU).
    >>
    >>Upgrading is also tricky, even if you could find a higher-end GPU that
    >>would fit the MXM socket and not crash the laptop on boot. A real big
    >>issue is removing heat. A heatpipe/fan system designed for the 8600M GT
    >>might not remove enough heat from something like an 8800M GT, meaning
    >>either a cooked GPU or overtemp forcing the GPU to slow down.
    >>
    >>I play the odd game on the 8600M GT, including Crysis (medium details
    >>1280x800 is best compromise I can do), but if I was to get serious
    >>about games I'd build a desktop...
    >>
    >>Kind regards,
    >>
    >>Chris Wilkinson, Blenheim.

    >Thanks, good to know that. My interest in these cards is that the
    >8600M GT is one of the series of bad chipsets that Nvidia produced
    >which has a habit of dying when it suffers too many temperature
    >cycles.

    This is fully covered by the C.G.A and you have plenty of evidence on the net
    to prove it that its a bad product.

    >It seems to work long enough to be out of warranty though.

    No they all did a recall, there is no such thing as a warrantee in this case
    as its a recall.

    >So
    >I may be up for replacing it, and I was hoping that one of new 9xxxM
    >GPUs might be able to be the replacement. It would seem that will
    >only be possible if Asus make that option available. I hope they are
    >considering that, as replacing the failing 8600M GTs with the same GPU
    >will only have the replacements also failing a bit later. Not what I
    >expected when I bought a laptop for nearly $3000.
    >
    >I use the laptop for FreeviewHD TV - it is connected to my LCD TV by
    >HDMI, and the 8600M GT is one of the GPUs that does the accelerated
    >H.264 necessary to display 720p and 1080i in NZ.

    I did a case with HP regarding a Scanner I had, go some 32.000 hits on the
    net, most regarding lots of problems with it.

    HP in the end offered my a 10 times better scanned for cost, $400 for a $800
    retail scanner..

    So the saying is if you do nothing and lay down and let people all walk all
    over you then its your fault, so don't be a complacent Kiwi..

    Peter M, Jan 14, 2009
  19. Craig Sutton

    Fierce Guppy Guest

    ~misfit~ presented the following explanation :
    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs "Fierce Guppy" typed:
    >> JohnO presented the following explanation :

    >> [...]
    >>>
    >>> Oh. I didn't know such laptops exist. What are the models you speak
    >>> of?

    >> I am thinking discrete graphics hardware might be something like a
    >> plug-in card. Here's a picture of a mobile GPU and it looks very
    >> plug-in-able. I don't know why this would not be an upgrable part.
    >>
    >> http://tinyurl.com/68do4r
    >>
    >> Anyway, I was thinking along the lines of any of these gaming laptops.
    >>
    >> Alienware area-51 series notebooks
    >> http://www.alienware.com/products/notebook-computers.aspx
    >>
    >> Dell XPS M1730
    >> http://tinyurl.com/2r79f3
    >>
    >> HP's "Firebird with VoodooDNA" range of laptops
    >> http://tinyurl.com/a5dwsg
    >>
    >> MSI GX series
    >> http://tinyurl.com/a662b5
    >>
    >> Asus G50Vt, G71V, and G1S
    >> http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=5&l2=74
    >> http://tinyurl.com/9hpfx6
    >>
    >> Falcon Northwest laptops.
    >> http://www.falcon-nw.com/

    > Interesting links (not that I clicked them all <g>). I'd heard about
    > upgradable laptop graphics last year but didn't know details. The biggest
    > difficulty I see is in power requirements and cooling changing from one
    > "graphics card" to another.

    Besides that, you can't take one of those laptops into the dense bush
    on the South Island's West Coast and expect to get through a game of
    Crysis before running out of battery juice. It makes them useless.

    Tony.

    Fierce Guppy, Jan 15, 2009
  20. On Thu, 15 Jan 2009 00:28:18 +1300, Peter M <>
    wrote:

    >On Wed, 14 Jan 2009 08:33:59 GMT, Stephen Worthington
    ><34.nz56.remove_numbers> wrote:
    >
    >>On Wed, 14 Jan 2009 20:18:02 +1300, Chris Wilkinson
    >><> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hi there,

    >>>The 8600M GT will be on an MXM card. MXM, despite appearing for all
    >>>intents and purposes to be a standard for mobile GPU cards, seems
    >>>to mean different things to different manufacturers. It would likely
    >>>be impossible for you and I to swap our 8600M GT's (my Dell 1720
    >>>has the same GPU).
    >>>
    >>>Upgrading is also tricky, even if you could find a higher-end GPU that
    >>>would fit the MXM socket and not crash the laptop on boot. A real big
    >>>issue is removing heat. A heatpipe/fan system designed for the 8600M GT
    >>>might not remove enough heat from something like an 8800M GT, meaning
    >>>either a cooked GPU or overtemp forcing the GPU to slow down.
    >>>
    >>>I play the odd game on the 8600M GT, including Crysis (medium details
    >>>1280x800 is best compromise I can do), but if I was to get serious
    >>>about games I'd build a desktop...
    >>>
    >>>Kind regards,
    >>>
    >>>Chris Wilkinson, Blenheim.

    >>Thanks, good to know that. My interest in these cards is that the
    >>8600M GT is one of the series of bad chipsets that Nvidia produced
    >>which has a habit of dying when it suffers too many temperature
    >>cycles.

    >This is fully covered by the C.G.A and you have plenty of evidence on the net
    >to prove it that its a bad product.

    Sure, there is lots of evidence. But my 8600M GT is still working, so
    there is not much I can do until it actually fails. Then I can start
    using the CGA as necessary. I am still inside the 2 year warranty
    period for a while yet also.

    >>It seems to work long enough to be out of warranty though.

    >No they all did a recall, there is no such thing as a warrantee in this case
    >as its a recall.

    There is no sign of Asus doing a recall or acknowledging that there is
    a problem, even though Nvidia says there is.

    Stephen Worthington, Jan 15, 2009