Laptop For Eye Disability Problem ? Suggestions, Please

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Robert11, Jun 24, 2007.

  1. Robert11

    Robert11 Guest

    Hello,

    Am looking into getting a Laptop for a person with an eye disability.

    Problem is that they cannot read any text from most any source, that is,
    perhaps, wider than about 3 to 4 inches.

    Is there some program that we can install that would allow (automatic if
    possible) re-formatting of "any" page that we pull up on the screen to a
    much narrower width ? (The surrounding areas would need to be blank)

    Any way of handling this problem ?

    BTW: are there any true Laptops (other than the Palm's, etc. of handhelds)
    that can worked with a stylus rather than the keyboard ?

    Much thanks,
    B.
    Robert11, Jun 24, 2007

  2. Robert11

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2007-06-24, Robert11 <> wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > Am looking into getting a Laptop for a person with an eye disability.
    >
    > Problem is that they cannot read any text from most any source, that is,
    > perhaps, wider than about 3 to 4 inches.
    >
    > Is there some program that we can install that would allow (automatic if
    > possible) re-formatting of "any" page that we pull up on the screen to a
    > much narrower width ? (The surrounding areas would need to be blank)
    >
    > Any way of handling this problem ?

    I don't know if Windows can be configured that way. A Unix or Linux
    system probably could, using either a text console or a GUI.

    The Opera web browser is very configurable and may be suitable - if your
    friend decides to go with a GUI. Text-only web browsers also exist, of
    course, but they aren't too useful if you want to view graphical content
    (but you might be surprised how useful a text-only web browser can be)

    > BTW: are there any true Laptops (other than the Palm's, etc. of handhelds)
    > that can worked with a stylus rather than the keyboard ?
    >
    > Much thanks,
    > B.

    Look into "tablet PCs".

    There are 'graphical keyboards' for Linux systems, that can be used with a
    mouse or trackball or touchpad or graphics tablet or other pointing device,
    if a physical keyboard is impractical. I don't know if such things exist
    for Windows.

    The British Computer Association of the Blind Web Site
    <http://www.bcab.org.uk/> has useful information and links. There may be
    something similar on your side of the pond.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Jun 24, 2007

  3. Robert11

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    "Robert11" <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > Am looking into getting a Laptop for a person with an eye disability.
    >
    > Problem is that they cannot read any text from most any source, that is,
    > perhaps, wider than about 3 to 4 inches.

    As far as that is concerned, I have this HP laptop running Vista that has
    this Ease of Access Center with about 15 different settings from the
    Narrator that will read the email or Web page and speak it to you, to
    operate the machine without using the keyboard and mouse or the monitor. I
    should use the Narrator more it's kind of cool.
    Mr. Arnold, Jun 24, 2007