Laptop fails to connect to broadband router

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Dilip, Sep 9, 2006.

  1. Dilip

    Dilip Guest

    I have a very simply plain-vanilla DSL set up at home. The DSL modem
    plugs into the WAN socket of my wireless router and one of the 4 open
    ports from the router connects to the Ethernet adapter endpoint on my
    desktop computer.

    With this setup I am able to access the Internet from my desktop
    computer.

    My laptop on the other hand isn't connecting properly to the router.
    It says its connected to my wireless network (signal strength is
    *excellent* and all that) but when I try to repair the connection the
    "Renewing your IP address" activity either fails or goes on non-stop.
    Trying

    ipconfig /renew *wireless*

    on the command prompt times out after a while saying "Unable to contact
    DHCP server".
    I also tried everything like ipconfig /flushdns, ipconfig /release etc
    (followed by ipconfig /renew) to no avail.

    Is there anything obvious I am missing?

    The funny thing is when I configured the router (on my desktop using
    http://IP_addr), even though I have a DSL connection at home I actually
    had to set the connection mode to
    Cable Modem under the router configuration to get the internet
    connection to work. Leaving it as DSL doesn't work! Doh! The
    broadband router support guy tells me that you just have to perform
    some trial & error to choose the correct connection mode.

    Here are some details from ipconfig /all on my laptop:

    Autoconfiguration IP: 169.254.197.191
    Subnet mask: 255.255.0.0
    Gateway: <blank>

    Dilip, Sep 9, 2006

  2. Hi
    That IP that you get means that the Laptop can not connect to the DHCP
    server on the Router and get an IP.
    May be this can Help.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Sep 9, 2006