    -- Cheers
    Southern Kiwi
    southern_kiwi@*spamsucks*hotmail.com

    Southern Kiwi, May 18, 2006

  2. Southern Kiwi

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "Southern Kiwi" <southern_kiwi@*spamsucks*hotmail.com> wrote in
    news::

    > Any ideas where to start?

    Shift, Control, Escape.

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, May 18, 2006

  3. Southern Kiwi

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Dave Taylor <> wrote in
    news:Xns97C7C94D072Ddaveytaynospamplshot@203.97.37.6:

    >> Any ideas where to start?

    > Shift, Control, Escape.

    Then you could try "Media Player Classic" from Sourceforge and see if it
    still has issues.
    Next is spyware.
    Superantispyware.com seems to be new and good...

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, May 18, 2006
  4. Southern Kiwi

    XPD Guest

    "Southern Kiwi" <southern_kiwi@*spamsucks*hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > Compaq Presario v2000, XP, all patches etc.
    >
    > Stutters using Intervideo and media player, symptoms are an echo of sound
    > and jerky video, CPU seems to be running near 100%
    >
    > Used to play fine, various updates, patches and programs loaded since last
    > time I used it.

    Saw something similar mentioned in a magazine a while ago... something to do
    with Windows/IE scrolling that can cause that sort of effect...Ill see if I
    cna find the article.

    XPD, May 18, 2006
  5. On Thu, 18 May 2006 18:27:50 +1200, "Southern Kiwi"
    <southern_kiwi@*spamsucks*hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Compaq Presario v2000, XP, all patches etc.
    >
    >Stutters using Intervideo and media player, symptoms are an echo of sound
    >and jerky video, CPU seems to be running near 100%

    Could be graphics driver issue etc, but you may also want to check
    that DMA is enabled on your DVD-ROM drive. If Windows has had any
    issues with the drive in the past, it can often disable DMA to work
    around this.. this will mean all requests have to go via the CPU which
    can cause the 100% processor usage that you're getting. To check if
    DMA is off, go into Control Panel, System, Hardware, Device Manager,
    find your IDE Controller and see if it's Secondary IDE Controller has
    DMA or PIO mode. (This procedure varies depending on brand/type of
    controller, you may have to look around once you get to this section)

    You can use the following support pages to help you:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310751
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=817472 (try the 'workaround'
    section)

    You can either attempt to switch the setting to DMA mode, or delete
    the Secondary IDE Controller and let the computer rebuild it on the
    next restart.
    --
    Kristofer Clayton (KJClayton)
    Gisborne, New Zealand

    Kristofer Clayton, May 18, 2006
  6. "Dave Taylor" <> wrote in message
    > Dave Taylor <> wrote in
    >
    >>> Any ideas where to start?

    >> Shift, Control, Escape.

    > Then you could try "Media Player Classic" from Sourceforge and see if it
    > still has issues.
    > Next is spyware.
    > Superantispyware.com seems to be new and good...
    > Ciao, Dave

    Checked Task manager, nothing strange, both spywares and 1 virus scanner
    report nothing, ran reg cleaner, nothing strange.

    I ripped the dvd to the hard drive and it played OK, makes me think it is a
    DVDRW that has the issues, checked DMA, it's set to use when available, will
    reinstall drivers etc for it and see how I get on.

    Cheers
    Southern Kiwi

    Southern Kiwi, May 18, 2006
  7. "Kristofer Clayton" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 18 May 2006 18:27:50 +1200, "Southern Kiwi"
    > <southern_kiwi@*spamsucks*hotmail.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>Compaq Presario v2000, XP, all patches etc.
    >>Stutters using Intervideo and media player, symptoms are an echo of sound
    >>and jerky video, CPU seems to be running near 100%

    > Could be graphics driver issue etc, but you may also want to check
    > that DMA is enabled on your DVD-ROM drive. If Windows has had any
    > issues with the drive in the past, it can often disable DMA to work
    > around this.. this will mean all requests have to go via the CPU which
    > can cause the 100% processor usage that you're getting. To check if
    > DMA is off, go into Control Panel, System, Hardware, Device Manager,
    > find your IDE Controller and see if it's Secondary IDE Controller has
    > DMA or PIO mode. (This procedure varies depending on brand/type of
    > controller, you may have to look around once you get to this section)
    >
    > You can use the following support pages to help you:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310751
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=817472 (try the 'workaround'
    > section)
    >
    > You can either attempt to switch the setting to DMA mode, or delete
    > the Secondary IDE Controller and let the computer rebuild it on the
    > next restart.
    > --
    > Kristofer Clayton (KJClayton)
    > Gisborne, New Zealand

    Thanx Kristofer, working through your suggestions, will post back how I get
    on.

    Cheers
    Southern Kiwi

    Southern Kiwi, May 18, 2006
  8. Re: Laptop DVD player stuttering - *FIXED*

    FYI

    Thanx to Krisopher for this suggestion

    Deleted the Secondary IDE Controller and let the computer rebuild it on the
    next restart.
    Was forced to PIO mode sometime, couldn't change setting in control panel.
    Now working fine again

    Cheers
    Southern Kiwi

    Southern Kiwi, May 18, 2006
  9. Southern Kiwi

    Kent Smith Guest

    > "Kristofer Clayton" <> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 18 May 2006 18:27:50 +1200, "Southern Kiwi"
    >> <southern_kiwi@*spamsucks*hotmail.com> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>Compaq Presario v2000, XP, all patches etc.
    >>>Stutters using Intervideo and media player, symptoms are an echo of sound
    >>>and jerky video, CPU seems to be running near 100%

    >> Could be graphics driver issue etc, but you may also want to check
    >> that DMA is enabled on your DVD-ROM drive. If Windows has had any
    >> issues with the drive in the past, it can often disable DMA to work
    >> around this.. this will mean all requests have to go via the CPU which
    >> can cause the 100% processor usage that you're getting. To check if
    >> DMA is off, go into Control Panel, System, Hardware, Device Manager,
    >> find your IDE Controller and see if it's Secondary IDE Controller has
    >> DMA or PIO mode. (This procedure varies depending on brand/type of
    >> controller, you may have to look around once you get to this section)
    >>
    >> You can use the following support pages to help you:
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310751
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=817472 (try the 'workaround'
    >> section)
    >>
    >> You can either attempt to switch the setting to DMA mode, or delete
    >> the Secondary IDE Controller and let the computer rebuild it on the
    >> next restart.
    >> --
    >> Kristofer Clayton (KJClayton)
    >> Gisborne, New Zealand

    > Thanx Kristofer, working through your suggestions, will post back how I
    > get on.

    Also, try disabling your realtime virus checker/active desktop scanner
    thing. I've had some problems with DVD-Region-Free application causing
    video playback problems previously too. Don't know if you use this though.
    :)

    -KENT

    Kent Smith, May 18, 2006
  10. Southern Kiwi

    > Checked Task manager, nothing strange, both spywares and 1 virus
    > scanner report nothing, ran reg cleaner, nothing strange.
    >
    > I ripped the dvd to the hard drive and it played OK, makes me think it
    > is a DVDRW that has the issues, checked DMA, it's set to use when
    > available, will reinstall drivers etc for it and see how I get on.
    >
    > Cheers
    > Southern Kiwi

    Could be a media that the player does not like?
    Sometimes there are firmware patches for that.
    You could also try a linux live CD or something like that (parallel
    install?) to eliminate the os as the cause?

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, May 19, 2006
  11. Southern Kiwi

    Dave Taylor Guest

    > Was forced to PIO mode sometime, couldn't change setting in control
    > panel. Now working fine again

    Cool.

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, May 19, 2006
  12. Southern Kiwi

    E. Scrooge Guest

    > Compaq Presario v2000, XP, all patches etc.
    >
    > Stutters using Intervideo and media player, symptoms are an echo of sound
    > and jerky video, CPU seems to be running near 100%
    >
    > Used to play fine, various updates, patches and programs loaded since last
    > time I used it.
    >

    > Any ideas where to start?
    >

    > --
    > -- Cheers
    > Southern Kiwi

    Reset XP back to before you made the changes. Are you using Media player
    11?
    Something must be using up more memory than it used to.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, May 19, 2006
  13. Southern Kiwi

    E. Scrooge Guest

    > FYI
    >
    > Thanx to Krisopher for this suggestion
    >
    > Deleted the Secondary IDE Controller and let the computer rebuild it on
    > the
    > next restart.
    > Was forced to PIO mode sometime, couldn't change setting in control panel.
    > Now working fine again
    >
    > Cheers
    > Southern Kiwi

    That's real good, sport.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, May 19, 2006
  14. "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz (*sling)> wrote in message
    > "Southern Kiwi" <southern_kiwi@*spamsucks*hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Compaq Presario v2000, XP, all patches etc.
    >> Stutters using Intervideo and media player, symptoms are an echo of sound
    >> and jerky video, CPU seems to be running near 100%
    >> Used to play fine, various updates, patches and programs loaded since
    >> last time I used it.
    >> Any ideas where to start?
    >> -- Cheers
    >> Southern Kiwi

    > Reset XP back to before you made the changes. Are you using Media player
    > 11?
    > Something must be using up more memory than it used to.
    > E. Scrooge

    Thanks,
    Sorted, removed & re installed second IDE controller, let wondows "find" it
    again after a reboot, which re enabled DMA

    Southern Kiwi, May 19, 2006
  15. Southern Kiwi

    Peter Nield Guest

    > > Reset XP back to before you made the changes. Are you using Media

    player
    > > 11?
    > > Something must be using up more memory than it used to.
    > > E. Scrooge

    > Thanks,
    > Sorted, removed & re installed second IDE controller, let wondows "find"

    it
    > again after a reboot, which re enabled DMA

    For future reference, this page explains probably what has occurred:
    http://winhlp.com/WxDMA.htm

    Summary - if an optical drive has too many read errors, Windows drops the
    transfer speed of that IDE device one step at a time, and prevents the speed
    from being increased back up.

    Peter Nield, May 19, 2006