    with an ethernet cable.

    When i try to run the network setup wizard on the laptop it tells me that
    the laptop is a member of a domain, and wont let me go any further.
    =?Utf-8?B?RnVubmVsbA==?=, Jan 27, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?RnVubmVsbA==?=

    Dave Guest

    "Funnell" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I use my laptop at work and connect using a cable. I then bring it home and
    > it connects to the internet via the wireless router/modemwith no problems.
    > However, it can't see my PC, which is connected to the wireless
    > router/modem
    > with an ethernet cable.
    >
    > When i try to run the network setup wizard on the laptop it tells me that
    > the laptop is a member of a domain, and wont let me go any further.

    whew! glad it is smart enough to stop you from doing something bad... or the
    next question would be how to get it back on the domain, which you can't do
    without begging your network people at the office to let you back.
    Dave, Jan 27, 2006

  3. =?Utf-8?B?RnVubmVsbA==?=

    Malke Guest

    Funnell wrote:

    > I use my laptop at work and connect using a cable. I then bring it
    > home and it connects to the internet via the wireless router/modemwith
    > no problems. However, it can't see my PC, which is connected to the
    > wireless router/modem with an ethernet cable.
    >
    > When i try to run the network setup wizard on the laptop it tells me
    > that the laptop is a member of a domain, and wont let me go any
    > further.

    From MVP Lanwench:

    Note - you don't need to change to a workgroup just to access resources
    on it. You shouldn't play with your laptop's network settings at all.
    Once you've logged in using your domain account (using cached
    credentials), and have an IP address on the home network, you can map
    drives, use printers, whatnot, very easily - one way, in a command
    line:

    net use x: \\computername\sharename /user:computername\username <enter>

    Also see:

    MS KB article about the Net Use command - http://tinyurl.com/3bpnj

    Managing One Windows XP-based Laptop for the Office and Home by MVP
    Charlie Russel
    http://tinyurl.com/cpy9q

    http://winhlp.com/wxdomainworkgroup.htm - MVP Hans-Georg Michna

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    Malke, Jan 27, 2006
  4. "Malke" wrote:

    > Funnell wrote:
    >
    > > I use my laptop at work and connect using a cable. I then bring it
    > > home and it connects to the internet via the wireless router/modemwith
    > > no problems. However, it can't see my PC, which is connected to the
    > > wireless router/modem with an ethernet cable.
    > >
    > > When i try to run the network setup wizard on the laptop it tells me
    > > that the laptop is a member of a domain, and wont let me go any
    > > further.

    > From MVP Lanwench:
    >
    > Note - you don't need to change to a workgroup just to access resources
    > on it. You shouldn't play with your laptop's network settings at all.
    > Once you've logged in using your domain account (using cached
    > credentials), and have an IP address on the home network, you can map
    > drives, use printers, whatnot, very easily - one way, in a command
    > line:
    >
    > net use x: \\computername\sharename /user:computername\username <enter>
    >
    > Also see:
    >
    > MS KB article about the Net Use command - http://tinyurl.com/3bpnj
    >
    > Managing One Windows XP-based Laptop for the Office and Home by MVP
    > Charlie Russel
    > http://tinyurl.com/cpy9q
    >
    > http://winhlp.com/wxdomainworkgroup.htm - MVP Hans-Georg Michna
    >
    > Malke
    > --
    > Elephant Boy Computers
    > www.elephantboycomputers.com
    > "Don't Panic!"
    > MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

    Thanks, but I'm not confident enough to use the net use command and don't
    understand the context. If my PC is called Funnell is that the computername?
    and what is the sharename and username?

    Nick funnell
    =?Utf-8?B?RnVubmVsbA==?=, Jan 27, 2006
  5. =?Utf-8?B?RnVubmVsbA==?=

    Malke Guest

    Funnell wrote:

    >> Managing One Windows XP-based Laptop for the Office and Home by MVP
    >> Charlie Russel
    >> http://tinyurl.com/cpy9q
    >>
    >> http://winhlp.com/wxdomainworkgroup.htm - MVP Hans-Georg Michna

    > Thanks, but I'm not confident enough to use the net use command and
    > don't understand the context. If my PC is called Funnell is that the
    > computername? and what is the sharename and username?

    Read the articles by Charlies Russel and Hans-Georg Michna then. They
    are very clear and easy to follow.

    Malke
    Malke, Jan 28, 2006
  6. ahhh.......you have to take it off the domain before you can add it to a
    workgroup which is what your other pc is on for it to be able to see it.

    =?Utf-8?B?Sm9obg==?=, Jan 30, 2006