    My laptop model is Toshiba Satellite M65.

    Thanks,

    Elader

    Elader, Aug 18, 2006

  2. Elader

    Plato Guest

    Elader wrote:

    > My laptop display's native resolution is 1440 x 900. However, when I go
    > into settings under desktop properties, I am able to set it higher that
    > this. I am able to pump it up all the way to 2048 x 1536! I was unable to
    > find my displays maximum resolution anywhere in the documentation, so my
    > question is can I turn up the resolution without damaging the display?

    No it wont damage the display.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Aug 18, 2006

  3. Elader

    Elader Guest

    "Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
    > Elader wrote:
    >>
    >> My laptop display's native resolution is 1440 x 900. However, when I go
    >> into settings under desktop properties, I am able to set it higher that
    >> this. I am able to pump it up all the way to 2048 x 1536! I was unable
    >> find my displays maximum resolution anywhere in the documentation, so my
    >> question is can I turn up the resolution without damaging the display?

    > No it wont damage the display.
    >
    > --
    > http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Thanks for the quick reply. That's cool then. What is the native
    resolution for then, and why is it different than max resolution?

    Elader

    Elader, Aug 18, 2006
  4. Elader

    JANA Guest

    Because the LCD does not have scanning circuits as like a CRT display, there
    will be no damage if you increase the resolution. Most displays will not
    work at higher than the recommended mode.

    Most likely when increasing the resolution above the recommended, something
    in the display's performance is probably being lost.

    --

    JANA
    _____

    Hello,

    JANA, Aug 18, 2006
  5. Elader

    PeeCee Guest

    "Elader" <> wrote in message

    > "Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
    >> Elader wrote:
    >>>
    >>> My laptop display's native resolution is 1440 x 900. However, when I go
    >>> into settings under desktop properties, I am able to set it higher that
    >>> this. I am able to pump it up all the way to 2048 x 1536! I was unable
    >>> find my displays maximum resolution anywhere in the documentation, so my
    >>> question is can I turn up the resolution without damaging the display?

    >> No it wont damage the display.
    >>
    >> --
    >> http://www.bootdisk.com/
    >>

    > Thanks for the quick reply. That's cool then. What is the native
    > resolution for then, and why is it different than max resolution?
    >
    > Elader

    Elader

    Even if you set your resolution to 2048x1536 your laptop will automatically
    remap it to 1440x900 Hence Plato's comment about it not damaging the display
    is true. What the extra resolution capability is for is "External" display
    devices plugged into the VGAor DVI socket on the back of the Laptop or
    docking station.
    Check out the properties of the display icon in control panel and you'll
    most likely see your card is capable of driving two screens at once, the
    built in LCD and a second via the VGA socket.
    You can set the resolution for these seperately so if you have a screen
    attached capable of 2048x1536 you can drive it at that resolution.

    Cheers
    Paul.

    PeeCee, Aug 18, 2006
  6. Elader wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > My laptop display's native resolution is 1440 x 900. However, when I go
    > into settings under desktop properties, I am able to set it higher that
    > this. I am able to pump it up all the way to 2048 x 1536! I was unable to

    And what differences do you perceive at that reported higher resolution?

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

    Blinky the Shark, Aug 18, 2006
  7. Elader

    Toolman Tim Guest

    PeeCee wrote:
    > "Elader" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message

    >>> No it wont damage the display.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> http://www.bootdisk.com/
    >>>

    >> Thanks for the quick reply. That's cool then. What is the native
    >> resolution for then, and why is it different than max resolution?
    >>
    >> Elader
    >>

    > Elader
    >
    > Even if you set your resolution to 2048x1536 your laptop will
    > automatically remap it to 1440x900 Hence Plato's comment about it not
    > damaging the display is true. What the extra resolution capability is
    > for is "External" display devices plugged into the VGAor DVI socket
    > on the back of the Laptop or docking station.
    > Check out the properties of the display icon in control panel and
    > you'll most likely see your card is capable of driving two screens at
    > once, the built in LCD and a second via the VGA socket.
    > You can set the resolution for these seperately so if you have a
    > screen attached capable of 2048x1536 you can drive it at that
    > resolution.
    > Cheers
    > Paul.

    Some systems "window" the display if you set it to a higher resolution than
    the native. My Sony will make a desktop that is much bigger than the
    display, and I can scroll right/left and up/down to see different parts of
    the desktop.

    Toolman Tim, Aug 18, 2006
  8. Elader

    Elader Guest

    "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message
    > Elader wrote:
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> My laptop display's native resolution is 1440 x 900. However, when I go
    >> into settings under desktop properties, I am able to set it higher that
    >> this. I am able to pump it up all the way to 2048 x 1536! I was unable

    > And what differences do you perceive at that reported higher resolution?
    >
    > --
    > Blinky RLU 297263
    > Killing all posts from Google Groups
    > The Usenet Improvement Project: http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html

    Actually, it is very similar to what Toolman Tim posted. The desktop
    becomes larger than the screen and I am able to scroll around it.

    Elader

    Elader, Aug 18, 2006
  9. Elader wrote:
    > "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message
    >> Elader wrote:
    >>> Hello,
    >>>
    >>> My laptop display's native resolution is 1440 x 900. However, when I go
    >>> into settings under desktop properties, I am able to set it higher that
    >>> this. I am able to pump it up all the way to 2048 x 1536! I was unable

    >> And what differences do you perceive at that reported higher resolution?

    > Actually, it is very similar to what Toolman Tim posted. The desktop
    > becomes larger than the screen and I am able to scroll around it.

    Right. So you pretty much just gain inconvenience and the ability to
    see the whole screen at once. Sounds great. ;)

    Blinky the Shark, Aug 18, 2006
  10. Elader

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > Elader wrote:
    >> "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message

    >>> And what differences do you perceive at that reported higher
    >>> resolution?

    >> Actually, it is very similar to what Toolman Tim posted. The desktop
    >> becomes larger than the screen and I am able to scroll around it.

    > Right. So you pretty much just gain inconvenience and the ability to
    > see the whole screen at once. Sounds great. ;)

    Yeah - I can't stand it either <grin>

    Toolman Tim, Aug 18, 2006