    chipset. I've managed to track down all the proper drivers (i'm pretty sure)
    but I'm unable to use stand by mode as it keeps crashing when trying to wake
    from stand by. Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated, thanks.

    CoolerThanYou, May 3, 2009

  2. There can be a lot of causes for this, but the most common are driver
    issues. IAC, I doubt very much you're running a 64-bit operating system on
    it, so you've managed to land in the wrong newsgroup. Actually, the place
    I'd start is a Toshiba support forum if they've got one.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 4, 2009

  3. I am running XP 64, that's why I posted here. When I had XP 32 installed on
    the laptop everything (including stand by) worked flawlessly. I think you're
    probably right about it being driver related, any idea how I could try to
    narrow it down?

    CoolerThanYou, May 4, 2009
  4. It's really hard to nail it down, especially on a laptop where you can't
    easily remove hardware that might be the issue. I'd start by removing an
    PCMCIA cards and unplugging any USB devices before going into standbye. See
    if that helps. If it does, the rest is easy - figuring out which thing you
    unplugged causes the crashes by plugging things back in one at a time.

    If it isn't anything you can plug in, then you're really at the mercy of
    Toshiba.

    I'd also try Hibernate instead of sleep, and see if that is better. It's
    slower to recover, I know, but still reasonably acceptable if it gets around
    the problem.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 4, 2009
  5. Thanks I'll try that, and keep looking around for other posts. If I figure it
    out in the next couple weeks I'll post the solution.

    CoolerThanYou, May 5, 2009
  6. Hello CoolerThanYou,
    You can try disabling drivers such as sound or netcard drivers, then try
    putting the machine to sleep and waking it up
    That way you would not have to remove the hardware.
    Do you get an error code when you crash?
    If this is BSOD and you reboot, turn off the autoreboot option so you can
    capture the crash details.
    That may give us more information

    To turn off AutoReboot, you can use Control Panel System Applet
    Startup and Recovery tab
    Uncheck Automatically Restart.
    On the next crash you should be able to capture the error message.

    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    --------------------
    | >From: =?Utf-8?B?Q29vbGVyVGhhbllvdQ==?=
    <>
    | >Subject: Re: Laptop crashes waking from "Stand by" mode
    | >Date: Mon, 4 May 2009 19:29:01 -0700
    | >Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    | >
    | >Thanks I'll try that, and keep looking around for other posts. If I
    figure it
    | >out in the next couple weeks I'll post the solution.
    | >
    | >"Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:
    | >
    | >> It's really hard to nail it down, especially on a laptop where you
    can't
    | >> easily remove hardware that might be the issue. I'd start by removing
    an
    | >> PCMCIA cards and unplugging any USB devices before going into
    standbye. See
    | >> if that helps. If it does, the rest is easy - figuring out which thing
    you
    | >> unplugged causes the crashes by plugging things back in one at a time.
    | >>
    | >> If it isn't anything you can plug in, then you're really at the mercy
    of
    | >> Toshiba.
    | >>
    | >> I'd also try Hibernate instead of sleep, and see if that is better.
    It's
    | >> slower to recover, I know, but still reasonably acceptable if it gets
    around
    | >> the problem.
    | >>
    | >> --
    | >> Charlie.
    | >> http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64
    | >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/charlie.russel
    | >>
    | >> "CoolerThanYou" <> wrote in
    message

    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], May 6, 2009
  7. Thanks Darrell, I'll try that tonight.

    CoolerThanYou, May 6, 2009